Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Clock won't keep the right time

(!)

Member with 284 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
06-Jan-2008, 12:08 AM #1
Solved: Clock won't keep the right time
At least once a week I have a problem with the clock not having the right time. Is there a way to resolve the problem with the clock? I am using Windows XP Professional. SP2
SUEOHIO   (SUE) SUEOHIO is offline SUEOHIO has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 3,680 posts.

Experience: Advanced
06-Jan-2008, 12:48 AM #2
how old is your computer? it may be the battery in your computer is failing. just a thought for u to check.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 21 posts.

Experience: I know random stuff
06-Jan-2008, 12:51 AM #3
Your battery can be found on your motherboard, and it will be about the size of a watch battery.
Member with 4,910 posts.

Experience: Advanced
06-Jan-2008, 12:54 AM #4
Copy Evrything From the Code Box And Paste Into Notepad > Save as "Fix.bat" > Double Click on it To Run IT ..

If it DIdin't Help .. You May have to Change Your CMOS Battery

Code:
net stop w32time
w32tm /unregister [ignore error message]
w32tm /unregister [enter a second time]
w32tm /register
reg add hklm\system\currentcontrolset\services\w32time\parameters\ /v NtpServer /t reg_sz /d time.nist.gov /f
net start w32time
w32tm /resync
How to replace the CMOS battery
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000239.htm
Member with 284 posts.

06-Jan-2008, 03:20 AM #5
I think it is the battery. I have a ThinkPad T40. Where do I find the battery?
Member with 371 posts.

30-Mar-2008, 08:08 PM #6
Question Clock Problem Only Started with Earlier DST
This thread is marked SOLVED, so perhaps I should start a new thread, but i am curious if the poster's problem was solved by replacing the battery on the motherboard?

With me, this problem ONLY started with the earlier Daylight Savings Time in March of 2008. I have researched and tried to solve this problem numerous ways.

I have tried clock syncs (both the XP Pro sync), and others. I have tried creating a new DWord in the registry. This didn't work, so I deleted that new DWord. I tried installing a fix from Microsoft:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...1l45zYrA%3d%3d

When it seems to have installed the files, it give me a prompt that a newer fix has already been installed!

The problem is that the clock is okay for a while. Sometimes without rebooting, sometimes upon a reboot, the clock will have fallen back an hour, to Eastern STANDARD time, not Eastern Daylight Time (I live in the Eastern time zone). More recently, alas, the clock will jump behind several hours! It's crazy. There seems to be no predicting when the change will take place, and now how many hours back it will set.

I have looked and look for answers to this riddle. I am doubtful it is the system battery, since there was no problem before the time change in March.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Member with 371 posts.

30-Mar-2008, 08:18 PM #7
I have applied the code fix submitted by devil_himself. I will report as to whether this fix worked. I'm sorry that I did not see or understand his post until I submitted by query. But I will hold my breath and hope the clock holds the correct time.

Thanks, I hope!
Member with 284 posts.

30-Mar-2008, 09:07 PM #8
I used the "fix bat and that worked for me so far. I haven't had a problem in a while. Good luck.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,407 posts.

30-Mar-2008, 09:09 PM #9
The default polling time for updating the clock's time is only once every 7 days. This is why the clock gets off by so much (e.g. seconds if not many minutes) until it's the 7th day for your clock to automatically update again. Only then is the clock accurate, but it immediately starts losing time again until it updates in 7 more days. The sources for updating the clock are deadly accurate (NIST = National Institute of Standards and Technology), but the problem is that it doesn't update itself often enough. Here's the fix:

On the XP system change the update (polling time) intervals by doing the following:

1. Type “regedit” in Run located in Start
2. Navigate to the following key in the left pane:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\W32Time\TimeProviders\NtpC lient.
3. In the right pane, double click the entry called SpecialPollInterval.
4. In the Base section of the Edit DWord Value dialog box, click the Decimal option button.
5. Enter the desired interval in seconds (3600 = 1 hour, 1800 = 30 minutes, 86400 = 24 hours, and so forth).
6. Click OK and close the registry editor.

(Originally set at 604,800 seconds, which equals 7 days, or once every week. I have set mine to 1,800 seconds, which updates my clock once every 30 minutes. My clock is never more than a few seconds off...
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!