Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Firefox - Scrollbar - Down Arrow Missing

(!)

Member with 298 posts.

12-Jan-2008, 12:26 PM #1
Question Firefox - Scrollbar - Down Arrow Missing
For some reason, the down arrow in the vertical scroll bar area on the right side of my Firefox browser window is now missing. I use Windows XP Home Edition. Can someone please tell me how to restore it?

Thanks!

Chip
Member with 6,052 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
12-Jan-2008, 01:12 PM #2
Try running Firefox in safe mode.
Start> Mozilla Firefox> Mozilla Firefox (Safe Mode).
This will run without any extensions and the default theme. If this solves the problem, then disable your extensions and re-enable them one at a time to see which one is the problem.
If no change, try uninstalling and re-installing Firefox. Your profile with your bookmarks and other settings will not be deleted when Firefox is uninstalled.
Member with 8,250 posts.

Experience: Advanced
12-Jan-2008, 01:53 PM #3
When did the problem begin? When did you install FF? Which version of FF? Can you relate the onset to the installation or removal of hardware or software, to include updates to Windows, your anti-malware software, or an update to FF?

The scroll bars will not appear, if un needed.

For example, do you receive a scroll bar at this page? http://forums.techguy.org/

Does it happen in Internet Explorer?

What is your screen resolution?

RF123
Member with 298 posts.

12-Jan-2008, 06:17 PM #4
When I click on your link, I do get a screen with a down arrow in the scroll bar area. But there are pages, where I do need to scroll down and do not have an arrow. It doesn't happen in Internet Explorer.

I've been using FF for a long time, and this is the first time this has happened. I have 2.0.0.11. I have quite a few extensions, is there a way to take a snapshot or get a list of them, that I can paste here?

I do appreciate the help, thanks.
Member with 298 posts.

12-Jan-2008, 06:22 PM #5
I just tried disabling the Fuller Screen FF add-on, and restarted the browser. Apparently this is what was causing the missing down arrow. But under options, I didn't see any choices that mentioned a missing down arrow in the scroll bar.
Member with 8,250 posts.

12-Jan-2008, 10:20 PM #6
No arrow or no scroll bar, or neither?

How to create a screen shot.
Creating a screen shot requires:
1. a keyboard with a key labeled "Print Screen". This may be abbreviated "PrtScn", "PrntScn", or some other variation. It is usually to the right of the F12 key
2. a destination program. Microsoft WordPad, and Paint, which are built into Windows 95 and beyond, as well as Microsoft Word, not a part of Windows will suffice. My favorite is Paint, because it provides the greatest versatility. Unfortunately, Paint saves images, by default, as bitmap files [ .bmp ], which are very large files. Paint also provides editing features. I do not recommend using Paint unless you are familiar with all of Paint's features.
2.a. To open Word
left click "start"
left click "programs" [ or "all programs" ]
left click "Microsoft Word".
2.b. To open WordPad
left click "start"
left click "accessories"
left click "WordPad".
2.c. To open Paint
left click "start"
left click "accessories"
left click "Paint".
3. Press the "PrtScn" [ or similar button ] on your keyboard.
4. Open the destination program [ see # 2 above ].
5. Maximize the screen of the destination program.
6. Left "edit" across the top.
7. Left click "paste".
8. Save the file to your "Desktop", "My Documents", or other location of your choice.
8.a. If using Paint, save it as a .jpg / .jpeg.
Left click "file"
Left clicks "save as".
Near the bottom, where it says "save as type", left click on the down pointing arrow.
look for jpeg or jpg.
Left click on jpeg or jpg.

Come back to this forum & thread.
Left click the button "go advanced".
Left click the button "manage attachments".
Browse to the location of the file.
After you have found the file, left click the button "upload".
When finished, left click "close window".
Left click the button "submit reply".

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...creenshot.mspx

RF123
Member with 8,250 posts.

12-Jan-2008, 10:35 PM #7
Can you relate the onset to the installation or removal of hardware or software, to include updates to Windows, your anti-malware software, or an update to FF?

Do you mean Windows running in safe mode, or FF in safe mode? As noted previously, if FF in safe mode, Windows in normal mode, no extensions will run.

If you go to a page that needs scrolling, but you do not have the scroll bar, if you left click on a blank spot, then use your up or down arrow keys on the keyboard, will the page scroll?

RF123
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!