Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

can't access safe mode

(!)

Junior Member with 7 posts.

22-Jan-2008, 11:37 PM #1
can't access safe mode
I have some nasty virus. My computer rebooted after a serious error and after I could not start IE nor could I run virus scan (CA security). I tried several system restore points but each time the computer was not able to restore. I tried to open in safe mode but after using F8 on reboot my arrow keys would not work to select safe mode and the boot continued with normal startup. I went into cmd and selected safe mode startup but once again my arrow keys wouldn't work to select safe mode (or anything other than normal which is highlighted on page). Since I selected safe startup in cmd and I cannot choose safe startup on the boot page my computer is in a loop of constantly trying to bootup. Any suggestions?
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 10 posts.

Experience: Advanced
23-Jan-2008, 02:17 AM #2
do you have another machine which you can slave the HDD up onto to run an external scan? Or a USB to IDE cable?

23-Jan-2008, 02:19 PM #3
I do have another computer. How would I do an external scan?
Member with 49 posts.

Experience: Half an Engineer
23-Jan-2008, 02:48 PM #4
What Andy says is take out your HDD, set the 'pins' to slave configuration, connect it to the other computer, and run a scan on this HDD from the other computer.

23-Jan-2008, 11:42 PM #5
I worked all day today and I don't have the energy to try this tonight. I'll dig in tomorrow. I did try to reboot from the xp cd but my computer will not boot up in any confiq. I ran the diagnostics and it said my hard drive passed so I'm taking that as a positive sign. What is the easiest way to scan my problem HDD with my other PC, slave it to my other PC or use an IDE cable and scan as an external drive? By the way, my arrow keys wouldn't work because I had a stuck key somewhere. I switched out keyboards and the arrow keys responded however my computer still wouldn't boot!

24-Jan-2008, 09:36 PM #6
ok, I doubt anybody is reading this but here goes my question anyway. I bought a usb external hard drive enclosure to connect my sick HDD to my working PC. (I didn't think I could simply slave as I already have a slave drive on that PC) I scanned with my virus protection and it found nothing. So why won't this HDD boot up? Is there anything eles I can try to determine what the problem is? I can see all my files and I copied files that I really wanted such as pictures and music and documents. Anybody out there? Bueller?
Computer Specs

24-Jan-2008, 09:41 PM #7
Yeah if the HDD is on its own IDE cable (usually theres two) it will need to be set as MASTER, if its on the same as the other HDD it will need to be SLAVE or cable select.
Member with 39 posts.

24-Jan-2008, 11:24 PM #8
Try forcing the pc to boot into safe mode through msconfig

Go to Start > Run

Now type in msconfig

Select the boot.ini tab and check the box that has /safeboot. Select apply > ok and will be prompted to restart or exit without restart. I would choose the reboot option. This "should" force the machine to boot into safe mode. When you would like to boot back into normal mode, just follow the same exact steps, but de-selecting the /safeboot option this time.

I have attached a screen shot I just took to help if needed.

25-Jan-2008, 12:37 AM #9
I tried that, my PC won't boot in any config. (Safe, last known good..., etc) I get a message saying sorry due to hardware or software changes the computer cannot boot (or something of that nature). I have tried to boot with the xp cd and that won't work either. As I said in earlier posts, my virus program didn't find anything. I am afraid to put this bad HDD into my working PC for fear that I will harm that one too. I'm at a loss for what to do next. Help!
Computer Specs

25-Jan-2008, 03:40 AM #10
Ok well the PC is seeing your hard drive (and Windows) if Windows is giving you a boot selection, whether it is working or not... The thing we would want to get going is your CD/DVD drive, to boot the XP disc (to do a repair). In the BIOS is it picking up your CD drive, and is it selected as the first or primary boot device?

25-Jan-2008, 10:41 AM #11
I tried selecting only the cd-rom drive to boot with the windows xp cd in the drive. It doesn't even try to boot up, I get a message press F1 to retry, F2 Setup Utility. Pressing F1 gives me the message again without attempting to boot. F2 gives me the system information page. I have tried to boot from cd-rom from both the setup utility and also from the boot device menu (F12 during startup). "We apologize for the inconvienence....." is all I ever get. I did the IDE diagnostics from the boot menu and it passed my hard drive but again, pc will not boot. Option 6 in the boot menu is boot to utility partition.......haven't tried that one yet.......

25-Jan-2008, 11:20 AM #12
Tried a boot to partition, nothing. Tried a ctrl +F11, (which is supposed to be a Dell restore partition however my OS is not OME on this PC) again, no boot. I am going to try to create a cd recovery disk but since it would not boot with the xp cd I am doubtful this will work. If no one has any better ideas (please someone!) I think it is soon time to bite the bullet and pay someone to fix it.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!