Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Windows XP stuck in reboot loop

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 14 posts.

Experience: Advanced
25-Jan-2008, 07:38 AM #1
Question Windows XP stuck in reboot loop
My friend's computer, running Windows XP SP2, reboots every time right after the boot splash screen. The computer even reboots when we try booting to safe mode. I can boot into an Ubuntu as well as a SystemRescueCD live CD with no problems.

This same exact problem was occurring a couple weeks ago, so I reinstalled Windows from scratch, and like I said, it's back.

Does this sound like a hardware problem (e.g. bad harddrive; bad memory)? Boot sector or BIOS virus? Windows virus? The computer booted fine several times after the reinstall.
Computer Specs
Account Disabled with 1,281 posts.

Experience: Beginner
25-Jan-2008, 07:48 AM #2
Hello chadjohnson. Anything here that helps.
http://uk.search.yahoo.com/search?fr...0loop&ei=UTF-8
Computer Specs

25-Jan-2008, 05:33 PM #3
I actually did an extensive Google search before posting, and I did not find anything that matched the circumstances well.
Computer Specs
Member with 11,849 posts.

25-Jan-2008, 05:53 PM #4
I would try doing the below in safe mode and then get the error message

In order to figure out why you are getting random reboots, you need to make a settings change to your computer. Go to:

Start > right click on My Computer > Properties > Advanced tab > Setup and Recovery 'Settings'

UN check 'Automatically Restart'. Click OK.

Reboot your computer. Now when Windows detects a problem it will not automatically reboot, but rather give you a blue screen.

Blue screens are often called 'Blue Screens of Death' (or BSOD) by users, and 'Stop Messages' by Microsoft. We need to know the exact message you see when you get the blue screen. We especially are looking for a set of letters and numbers about half way down the page that take this format:

0x0000008e

This is usually followed by a set of 4 similar numbers in parenthesis. For now we just need the first set of letter and numbers (before the numbers in the parenthesis).

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Heaven goes by favorites, If it didn't then your dog would get in first. Amen.
Computer Specs

26-Jan-2008, 02:01 PM #5
Thanks, but I cannot boot into Windows at all (even to safe mode), so I cannot do this. Any other suggestions?
Junior Member with 11 posts.

Experience: Self Taught
28-Jan-2008, 09:52 PM #6
break the load sequence by holding F8 during the reboot loop...options for safemode should come up and reboot on systems failure can be turned off from there...Good Luck!

I just had a very similar prob.

My solution: I put in a new HDD and loaded XP from the beginning and made the old drive a slave drive. Extracted all the data I needed from the old HDD and Bob's your cross dressing aunty.

The ultimate problem was a bad sector on the old HDD in my case but lots of different things can cause the reboot loop...if you have already reloaded XP over the top of the previous OS it is unlikely to be an operating system problem...so I would be inclined to think it is a physical hardware problem with the drive. You may be able to clean it up but my reccomendation would be a new HDD.

If you really want to know what is causing it break the loop turn off the auto restart and post info on the BSOD.

Last edited by PLACEBOID; 28-Jan-2008 at 09:54 PM.. Reason: missed a word! plus added more advice
Computer Specs

02-Feb-2008, 05:00 PM #7
After pressing F8 after the BIOS splash screen, there was an option in the list to disable automatic restarting upon error. I selected this option, and since then Windows has booted fine.
Computer Specs
Member with 33 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
02-Feb-2008, 05:49 PM #8
I am having the same problems, but those solutions haven't worked. I turned off the auto restore, but it doesn't boot up in safe mode, or XP mode. I just get system failed errors.

What can I do? Please help.

Last edited by Tenku; 02-Feb-2008 at 05:54 PM..
Junior Member with 11 posts.

Experience: Self Taught
03-Feb-2008, 06:36 PM #9
If it won't boot in safe mode then you may have to reinstall the operating system (preferable on a new HDD - Change the jumper on the old HDD to 'slave' and then you should be able to extract whatever data you need from the old HDD...or at least some of it)

Have you tried repairing the operating system by booting with the windows disk in the drive?

Alternatively post the information on the blue screen on here and maybe someone can assist.
Junior Member with 1 posts.

05-Feb-2008, 02:13 PM #10
Smile Have you changed anything in your BIOS before that??
I thought I needed to get this info around.

Recently I had the exact same issues, with Windows XP being caught in a reboot loop.
And just like you, I could use Linux just fine but Windows just wouldn't boot, not even in safe mode.
Using Acronis Trueimage, I replayed a previous, fully working image, but it didn't work either.
Then another image, one that was tried and tested, that I had saved quite a while back when I installed WinXP and after I updated all patches. And guess what, still wouldn't work.
I installed WinXP from scratch. Still, no joy!

And then... I recalled... the previous evening after cleaning up inside the PC and replacing a fan, I had also performed some changes in the BIOS.
So, the BIOS changes were the only variable that I had not considered and that had not changed despite the new images that I restored.
I then decided to do something very simple; to load the BIOS failsafe settings.

AND GUESS WHAT???? IT WORKED!

Load your bios failsafe settings or default settings and then work your way up from there.

In my case, I believe what really brought this upon myself was a change in the ACPI settings in the BIOS, although I am not sure.

This is one possibility you should definetely consider!
Email This Email  Print This Print  Add to Favorites Favorites  Tweet This Send to Facebook Send to MySpace Send to StumbleUpon Digg This | More Services More
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!