Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Monitor Blinking Orange Light, Windows/PC wont start up

(!)

Junior Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
26-Jan-2008, 04:04 AM #1
Monitor Blinking Orange Light, Windows/PC wont start up
Hi I made a thread yesterday regarding a minor PC problem I had while trying to install windows XP on my uncles PC the problem was solved thankfully.

I now have an even bigger problem of my own with my PC.
I turned my PC on in the evening and the monitor screen was blank and displayed a blinking orange light, the fan does come on. I doubled checked the wires to see if any were loose but everything is inserted correctly.

What’s weird is the PC that I was installing windows on yesterday was doing the same thing but once you turn it off and turn it back on it would be fine and load windows.
But my one is not even doing that, there is nothing wrong with the monitor has I have brought it recently and I also checked the PC using my brother’s monitor and the same thing happens.

Once I finished installing windows on my uncles PC I turned my PC on and watched highlights of a soccer game so it actually was working last night. But I have no clue as to what has happened?
Can someone please help me?
Senior Member with 833 posts.

26-Jan-2008, 04:41 PM #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by RYU1999 View Post
the fan does come on.?
Presumably the green power light shows continuously on the case front?
Does the red drive activity light come on and flicker as usual?
Do you hear any beeps from the internal speaker?
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Beginner
27-Jan-2008, 09:50 AM #3
Hi my pc had the same problems a couple of months ago. I found out the problem it was my motherboard. So it could be your problem as well. i replaced my motherboard now it works fine. So I hope that helps you with your problems.
Account Disabled with 5,809 posts.

Experience: Advanced
27-Jan-2008, 01:00 PM #4
make sure the video card is fully seated in its slot and the connector is secure..

if the above item doesn't work, try another slot for the card.
LordBraska1999 LordBraska1999 is offline LordBraska1999 has a Profile Picture
Junior Member with 11 posts.

27-Jan-2008, 01:17 PM #5
well its really only one of 2 possible components. either the moniter is not recieving information from the graphics card or the pc is not transmitting. I disagree with the seating of the graphics card idea only because its happening on 3 different PC's. My question to you is, is it the same moniter that you tried on all 3 pc's or different moniters on all?
Senior Member with 730 posts.

27-Jan-2008, 01:34 PM #6
Quote:
H
I now have an even bigger problem of my own with my PC.
I turned my PC on in the evening and the monitor screen was blank and displayed a blinking orange light, the fan does come on. I doubled checked the wires to see if any were loose but everything is inserted correctly.

Whatís weird is the PC that I was installing windows on yesterday was doing the same thing but once you turn it off and turn it back on it would be fine and load windows.
But my one is not even doing that, there is nothing wrong with the monitor has I have brought it recently and I also checked the PC using my brotherís monitor and the same thing happens.

Once I finished installing windows on my uncles PC I turned my PC on and watched highlights of a soccer game so it actually was working last night. But I have no clue as to what has happened?
Can someone please help me?
In my experience when you have a problem with the computer not starting but it does if you press the restart button (sometimes several times) it tends to be a problem with the power supply getting ready to fail or being to weak for the system. There just is not enough juice to power things up from a cold dead start. But if the drives are already spinning, the RAM charged , and fans spinning, then hitting restart and things start over but there is a sufficiently lower power demand so the weak and failing power supply can still make it (Other common symptoms are unexplained errors and shutdowns prompting the user to do a reinstall of windows).

So , if you have a spare good power supply trying it out would be a first step.

An alternative method would be to disconnect power from all the unneeded drives (CDROM< DVD , Floppy) case fans (not the heatsink fan) , remove unneeded externals (especially USB devices) and any unnecessary PCI card devices (noting where they came from) and then try to power up. If you get any hint that it is doing better try the reset buttons a few times.

Note some newer power supplies have internal protection circuitry which can be reset by changing the voltage selector on the back from 120 to 240. Plug in and press the power button, then unplug , switch it back to 120 and plug in and press the power button.
So try that first.

http://www.fonerbooks.com/power.htm
has a good guide to troubleshooting startup issues.
Junior Member with 4 posts.

28-Jan-2008, 03:47 AM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamhg69 View Post
Hi my pc had the same problems a couple of months ago. I found out the problem it was my motherboard. So it could be your problem as well. i replaced my motherboard now it works fine. So I hope that helps you with your problems.
Thank you for all the help people I appreciate it.
I think you are right the motherboard seems to be the problem. I took it to a PC repair shop and the person said the same thing I want to know how much it cost you to replace the motherboard so I donít get overcharged. Thank you again.
Account Disabled with 5,809 posts.

28-Jan-2008, 11:47 AM #8
i wouldn't replace the mb.

i saw a dell desktop for $299 in sundays paper.

Last edited by bearone2; 28-Jan-2008 at 11:57 AM..
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Beginner
29-Jan-2008, 10:37 PM #9
Quote:
Thank you for all the help people I appreciate it.
I think you are right the motherboard seems to be the problem. I took it to a PC repair shop and the person said the same thing I want to know how much it cost you to replace the motherboard so I donít get overcharged. Thank you again.
I didn't have to pay a cent because mine was still under warranty.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!