Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

screen turns black after windows startup

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 4 posts.

29-Jan-2008, 10:37 PM #1
screen turns black after windows startup
I'm running windows xp professional. I boot up my computer and it shows the windows loading page and then when the desktop should appear, instead the screen goes black and my monitor reads "no PC signal", as if the PC is not connected to the monitor. But that cannot be the case because it showed the windows loading screen on the monitor.
This problem keeps occuring now. It was working perfectly fine up to today. I booted the computer up in safe mode which worked fine, and re-installed the latest nvidia geforce 7300 se graphics card driver. I then rebooted in normal mode and the problem still occured where the screen is black and says "no PC signal." I don't know what to do now, i tried a new vga cable already, but that didn't fix it.
anybody else run into this problem and solve it?
help!
Member with 22,468 posts.

29-Jan-2008, 10:59 PM #2
What happens if you boot to VGA, then set the resolution to something the computer can support.
Computer Specs

29-Jan-2008, 11:07 PM #3
it won't automatically boot to VGA when i plug the cable into the computer's onboard vga. So i thought maybe i need to set it in BIOS. however, in the BIOS, i don't know where the option to reset from pci videocard to onboard video is.
you have any further thoughts?
Computer Specs

29-Jan-2008, 11:09 PM #4
also, on my blackscreen, coming from the monitor (not the computer) it says on the screen "no PC signal", that makes me think that it's probably not a resolution issue.

29-Jan-2008, 11:12 PM #5
That's exactly the symptom you get when you set the screen resolution to something other than what the monitor can support. Just ran into it when a customer swapped monitors today.

It is another option in addition to Safe Mode. It won't automatically boot to that option. You have to select it.
Computer Specs

31-Jan-2008, 05:20 PM #6
ok, keep in mind my computer was always working fine before, i had never changed the resolution, so if the resolution changed to something incompatible with the monitor, then i don't know how that would have happened. nobody uses my computer but me.
So how would i go about resetting the res? should i boot to safe mode and then reset the res from there? will the new res setting be understood when i reboot to the normal mode?

31-Jan-2008, 05:54 PM #7
That is typically how things go wrong or fail. One time it works and the next it doesn't.

What happened when you took the suggestion to boot to safe mode?
Senior Member with 1,428 posts.

Experience: Advanced
31-Jan-2008, 07:36 PM #8
"i don't know where the option to reset from pci videocard to onboard video is."

Usually there isn't. What does exist is the ability to disable the onboard video. Some mainboards actually required a jumper to be set on the mainboard. Check your docs for your system.

This could explain your issue if the onboard is not disabled in the bios and why you get a no signal. The onboard is getting preferance on startup which results in it stomping on the hardware io for the nvidia card.
Start by finding out how to disable the onboard video.

31-Jan-2008, 08:00 PM #9
But from the first post, you are getting a signal. That is how you can get as far as the windows loading page. It is after that when the problem comes up.

Again, what happens if you boot to safe mode.
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Advanced
28-Mar-2008, 05:34 PM #10
I had the exact same problem today; when loading windows XP the monitor just stopped receiving signals from the graphics card (nvidia geforce 6800). A problem that came totally out of nowhere. So after some help from this thread and google I started my computer in VGA mode (hitting F8 when booting). In VGA mode I noticed that everything was laggy, just like if there were no graphic drivers installed... I downloaded the drivers, installed them and rebooted; and now everything works as normal again. Thanks.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!