Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

XP setup gets stuck.

(!)

Junior Member with 1 posts.

14-Feb-2008, 02:08 PM #1
XP setup gets stuck.
Right then i'll dive straight into the problem:

I did a large-scale upgrade, and so I had to do a repair install of XP Home. The setup runs perfectly until the very end, during the 'Saving Settings' part with 2 minutes remaining, where it just seems to stop.
It doesn't crash, the information and little green dots keep cycling, and it happens in exactly the same place every time, so I'm fairly sure its not due to faulty hardware.
After some research, I found that the problem could be due to the SP2 disk I made using an older version of nLite, but the problem continues using a new disk made with the most recent version.

I've tried Microsoft's advice here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811267, but to no avail.

The only thing I can find is the last entry into the setuperr.log:

Error:
Setup could not register the OLE Control C:\WINDOWS\system32\macromed\flash\flash.ocx because of the following error:
DllRegisterServer returned error 2147647516 (8002801c).

I have tried deleting this folder, but there is one file, Flash9.ocx, that will not delete. Running the setup with every other file deleted does not help, although it does add flash.ocx to that folder.
I have installed another copy of XP onto a different partition to allow me to get at the setup logs etc, but in the above folder for this XP install, there is only flash.ocx, no Flash9.ocx (I presume Flash9 is a later version).

I have pretty much run out of ideas, apart from getting rid of Flash9.ocx, but it says Access Denied, so I don't know how to.

This problem is driving me mad, so I do hope someone here will be able to help me.
Junior Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
28-Aug-2008, 11:22 AM #2
Hi all I have the identical error BUT mine is at set up after a repair was done.

setup encountered an error while tring to set security
Error:
Setup could not register the OLE Control C:\WINDOWS\system32\macromed\flash\flash.ocx because of the following error:
DllRegisterServer returned error 2147647516 (8002801c).

the 1st error window shows missing "asms" file
enter path to load and gives the following string
\GlobalRoot\device\cdrom\i386

my XP CD is in drive I: so i put I:\i386 and it just sits there
I:\i386\GlobalRoot\device\cdrom\i386

when i hit cancel i get the log which says the above in red

Please help...

Ed -----> Hellraiser

Junior Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
29-Aug-2008, 08:37 AM #3
After hours of reading all i can find is:

The 0x8002801c error usually means that you don't have permission register the file

but they do not tell you how to fix XP if windows will not load after a
repair..!!!

Can anybody guide me thru this..??
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!