Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Bad Pool Caller Blue Screen

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 6 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
15-Feb-2008, 11:50 PM #1
Bad Pool Caller Blue Screen
Hi - I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me with this. I've just recently gotten this error and a system restore didn't work nor did a last known good configuration. Prior to getting this error message I had installed an old HP printer (XP had the driver, I didn't use any set-up discs) and the latest version of Adobe viewer. The adobe did give me problems prior to my last good shutdown. The system restore removed the adobe installation, but I'm still getting the bad pool caller. The exact error message is below and I'm running Windows XP 5.1 SP 2:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

BAD_POOL_CALLER

If this is the first tiem you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then Select Safe Mode.

Technical information:

**** STOP: (0x00000007, 0x00000CD4, 0x0000B3BE, OxFF626004)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!
Computer Specs
Account Disabled with 1,281 posts.

Experience: Beginner
16-Feb-2008, 06:29 AM #2
Hello Setankh. I am not a techie but you may find something to help here.
http://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=yt...ALLER&ei=UTF-8
Computer Specs

16-Feb-2008, 12:18 PM #3
Thanks so much! I did actually search google and the microsoft site on the bad pool caller error and the string of numbers behind it, but I can't seem to find anything that pertains to this exact error and I'm afraid to just assume - I had issues with this laptop a few years back and had to redo the whole thing and I'm hoping to avoid that. When I did my searches I kept seeing mentions of registry cleaners, but then I read a thread in these forums on registry cleaners and I'm scared to go near them. LOL
Computer Specs
Member with 45,855 posts.

Experience: I know when to fold em'
16-Feb-2008, 01:43 PM #4
It's surprising a system restore did not fix it if it was related to any new install. If that HP printer installation is still there -- that's what I would suspect most. Perhaps you should remove the printer for now and if possible do a system restore to a date prior to its connection. The drivers Windows is using for it may be out of date.

Is there a pattern to it of any kind -- such as particular applications or timing?

1 > create a new folder on the desktop and call it "dumpcheck" or whatever you like
2 > navigate to %systemroot%\minidump and copy the last few minidump files to that folder.%systemroot% is normally c:\windows. They are numbered by date. You can paste that address in address bar to get there.
3 > close the folder and right click on it and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder.
4 > use the "manage attachments" in the "advanced" reply window to upload that zip file here as an attachment.

This might point us to a non-system driver causing the error, if one exists for it.

Last edited by Rollin' Rog; 16-Feb-2008 at 01:53 PM..
Computer Specs

16-Feb-2008, 02:18 PM #5
Thanks for your post - I can boot up into safe mode and I did try to get into the printers to uninstall that HP, but none of my printers are coming up. Is there a better way to get to them to uninstall it? The first system restore I did was to a point prior to the installation of the printer and the adobe, but I still got that bad pool caller error. I've done another system restore to bring it back to the point where I installed both of those. I haven't seen any pattern - this is the first time I've gotten this error and it does it straight on boot-up. I did get another variation however, after the system restores which was:

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Technical information:

***STOP: 0x000000050 (0xFF4F9FFE, 0x00000000, 0x80543E1D, 0x00000000)

I've gotten that twice, but then it goes back to the bad pool caller. I did as you suggested and searched for the minidump files, but I only got a "page cannot be displayed". Any other suggestions? Thanks so much!
Computer Specs

16-Feb-2008, 10:16 PM #6
Well if you did a system restore prior to the installation of the printer -- then I doubt it is the problem. But there are manual ways to uninstall printer drivers -- I just don't think it would be worthwhile now from what you've indicated. However, for what it's worth, you can keep this handy >> http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;312052

Is there ever a driver file mentioned in those Blue Screens?

There are a couple of things you can try here -- one is to clean boot the system and see if the error is related to any installed non-microsoft software. The second is to run "driver verifier" and see if it catches anything.

1 >>

CLEAN BOOT TROUBLESHOOTING technique XP

First, restart in Safe Mode if necessary -- (tap the f8 key promptly on startup and choose the Safe Mode option from the boot menu) or Normal mode

Then:

Run msconfig and select the "Services" tab. Check "Hide Microsoft Services" and then disable the rest. Also uncheck "load startup group" on the general page.

See this link for detailed information:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;310353
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135 << for Vista, but applies equally to XP, and better written.

Now restart and test the issue at hand

If no problems, run msconfig and recheck half the disabled items on the Services tab. Test again. If the problem recurs, UNcheck half the items you just checked to narrow down the culprit.

If the problem didn't occur, check the other half, so all the Services are enabled -- proceed to do this on the startup tab as well.

Get the idea? You want to isolate the problem to a specific startup if possible.

Note: if you already have items unchecked under msconfig > startups and are in “selective” startup mode – you should note what these are before beginning. They will need to be de-selected again.

------------------------------------------------------------------

2 >>

USING DRIVER VERIFIER

Windows has a built in driver tester that may find something.
Before using it you must ensure that you can start in Safe Mode and return from it. If verifier issues a STOP screen, rebooting in Safe Mode is the only way to reset it.

In its default configuration verifier tests "unsigned" drivers, but you can have it test all drivers under maximum conditions.

There's less to it than meets the eye in this MS article:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;244617

To run verifier simply go to Start > run and enter:

verifier.exe

and select "standard configuration" and follow the prompts.
It will run on the next reboot. If it finds something you will get a Blue Screen STOP message.
Ignore the STOP parameters -- they are specific to verifier. The only thing important is the driver file name if it finds one.

If you get a STOP screen you will have to reboot to Safe Mode and run verifier again and have it "delete existing settings"

If you do not get a STOP message you can run it again checking all drivers; driver verifier will continue to run on every boot up until you run:

verifier /reset

or use the graphical interface to delete existing settings.
Computer Specs

17-Feb-2008, 07:55 PM #7
Thanks again for your message. There was never a driver mentioned on the blue screens unfortunately. I followed your suggestions and these are the results.

When I attempted the Clean Boot Troubleshooting I received the following blue screen error on restart:

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x00000050 (0xFF504FFE, 0x00000000, 0x80543E1D, 0x00000000)

When I utilized the driver verifier I received this blue screen error on restart:

SPECIAL_POOL_DETECTED_MEMORY_CORRUPTION

Technical Information:

*** STOP 0x000000C1 (0x831C6F20, 0x831C658C, 0x008500DC, 0x00000023)

I'm beginning to wonder if there just simply might not be a way around redoing the laptop.
Computer Specs

17-Feb-2008, 08:01 PM #8
Driver verifier should have identified a driver with that STOP message? Did you see it?

Look in c:\windows\minidump again

If nothing is there, run sysdm.cpl and select Advanced > Startup and Recovery and make sure that "small minidump" is the type selected and that %systemroot%\minidump is the write to location.

That assumes that c: is your boot drive; if you have another drive letter -- then look there.

Also, post a HijackThis scanlog >>

Download and install HijackThis. Run it and select "do a system scan and save the log file". Then copy/paste the contents of the log to a reply

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download5554.html

Can you test the ram?

Beginners Guides: Diagnosing Bad Memory

Memtest86 - A Stand-alone Memory Diagnostic
Computer Specs

19-Feb-2008, 10:13 PM #9
Sorry for not replying earlier, I'm sick with the flu at the moment. There was no driver listed in the message. I followed your instructions regarding the minidump and after clicking okay on that window a popup came up referencing the alerter. It gave instructions on how to start it, which I followed, but then it said it wouldn't work in safe mode.

I did a hijack this log which is pasted below. I'm afraid the sites on the memory testing were greek to me, could be because I'm feeling poorly and really not up to par. But I didn't want to try something like that without understanding what I was doing. )

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 8:09:08 PM, on 2/19/2008
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.sbc.yahoo.com/
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = 127.0.0.1
R3 - URLSearchHook: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: Yahoo! IE Services Button - {5BAB4B5B-68BC-4B02-94D6-2FC0DE4A7897} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\yiesrvc.dll
O2 - BHO: DriveLetterAccess - {5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswshx.dll
O2 - BHO: CNisExtBho Class - {9ECB9560-04F9-4bbc-943D-298DDF1699E1} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AdBlocking\NISShExt.dll
O2 - BHO: CNavExtBho Class - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton Internet Security - {0B53EAC3-8D69-4b9e-9B19-A37C9A5676A7} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AdBlocking\NISShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DVDLauncher] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\DVDLauncher.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dla] C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdateManager] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WordPerfect Office 1215] C:\Program Files\WordPerfect Office 12\Programs\Registration.exe /title="WordPerfect Office 12" /date=021608 serial=WO12WRX-0000002-HBU lang=EN
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxtray] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxhkcmd] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxpers] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MimBoot] C:\PROGRA~1\MUSICM~1\MUSICM~2\mimboot.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MMTray] "C:\Program Files\Musicmatch\Musicmatch Jukebox\mm_tray.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe /Consumer
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ADUserMon] C:\Program Files\Iomega\AutoDisk\ADUserMon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Iomega Drive Icons] C:\Program Files\Iomega\DriveIcons\ImgIcon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Deskup] C:\Program Files\Iomega\DriveIcons\deskup.exe /IMGSTART
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CORSAIR_PLUtil] C:\Program Files\Corsair\Corsair Flash Voyager Utility\PLBkMon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PLFFAP] C:\WINDOWS\system32\HotfixQ0306270.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Motive SmartBridge] C:\PROGRA~1\SBCSEL~1\SMARTB~1\MotiveSB.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
O4 - Startup: Microsoft Find Fast.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\FINDFAST.EXE
O4 - Startup: Office Startup.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA.EXE
O4 - Startup: PowerReg Scheduler V3.exe
O4 - Global Startup: dlbcserv.lnk = C:\Program Files\Dell Photo Printer 720\dlbcserv.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Kodak EasyShare software.lnk = C:\Program Files\Kodak\Kodak EasyShare software\bin\EasyShare.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Kodak software updater.lnk = C:\Program Files\Kodak\KODAK Software Updater\7288971\Program\Kodak Software Updater.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: SBC Self Support Tool.lnk = C:\Program Files\SBC Self Support Tool\bin\matcli.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Yahoo! Search - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycsrch.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Yahoo! &Dictionary - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycdict.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Yahoo! &Maps - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycmap.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Yahoo! &SMS - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycsms.htm
O9 - Extra button: Yahoo! Services - {5BAB4B5B-68BC-4B02-94D6-2FC0DE4A7897} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\yiesrvc.dll
O9 - Extra button: Yahoo! Messenger - {E5D12C4E-7B4F-11D3-B5C9-0050045C3C96} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\YahooMessenger.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger - {E5D12C4E-7B4F-11D3-B5C9-0050045C3C96} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\YahooMessenger.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {30528230-99f7-4bb4-88d8-fa1d4f56a2ab} (YInstStarter Class) - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\yinsthelper.dll
O18 - Protocol: msnim - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - "C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\msgrapp.dll" (file missing)
O20 - Winlogon Notify: igfxcui - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\igfxdev.dll
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Proxy (ccProxy) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccProxy.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Iomega App Services - Iomega Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Iomega\System32\AppServices.exe
O23 - Service: ISSvc (ISSVC) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\ISSVC.exe
O23 - Service: Kodak Camera Connection Software (KodakCCS) - Eastman Kodak Company - C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\KodakCCS.exe
O23 - Service: LexBce Server (LexBceS) - Lexmark International, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: PLFlash DeviceIoControl Service - Prolific Technology Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\IoctlSvc.exe
O23 - Service: SAVScan - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec SPBBCSvc (SPBBCSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Iomega Active Disk (_IOMEGA_ACTIVE_DISK_SERVICE_) - Iomega Corporation - C:\Program Files\Iomega\AutoDisk\ADService.exe

Thanks again.
Computer Specs

19-Feb-2008, 11:43 PM #10
Well it would be nice if we could get a minidump out of this -- I'd like to know where this address is pointing >> FF504FFE

You booted successfully in Safe Mode -- can you boot in Safe Mode with Networking support?

When you tried to clean boot the system did you disable all NON Microsoft drivers in the Services tab -- especially the Symantec and Kodak ones? Is all non vital hardware disconnected from the computer?

>> Let me try to help you out with a little more detail on the memory testing -- you will probably need another working computer to create the disk though.

To create a bootable memory tester you would start by downloading and unzipping this file >>

http://www.memtest.org/download/2.00...+-2.00.iso.zip

You will see a file with a .ISO extension.

If you have burning software such as Roxio or Nero, you only need put a writable CD in the drive and "open" the .ISO file -- the burning software will take you to the proper mode. Once the burn is complete you must ensure the CD drive is first in the BIOS boot order -- or try the F12 menu if you have it -- (you get there like with f8) -- only this gives choice of IDEs on some systems.

If you boot directly back to Windows -- you either do not have the ISO file burned properly -- or the Drive is not first in the Boot order.

If you don't have burning software you can try a freebee >>

DeepBurner can also be used to burn ISO files, I recommend the “portable” version:

http://www.deepburner.com/?r=download

With Deepburner -- you must open its interface first and select ISO as the burning method since the the file type will not be associated with it by default.

Last edited by Rollin' Rog; 20-Feb-2008 at 03:25 AM..
Computer Specs

22-Feb-2008, 10:00 PM #11
I think I might be at an impasse now. My desktop cd burner broke a bit ago and I never replaced it because I prefer removable drives and I can't access the software to burn on my laptop.

Would it, at this point, be easier for me to reformat the drive and reinstall everything or do you think there would be issues should I try that? Or should I try to repair windows?

Oh - in answer to your question, all of the non-microsoft drivers were disabled.

Thanks again for your help.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

03-Jul-2008, 09:28 PM #12
I'm also getting a BAD POOL CALLER message when i start my computer. I have read this thread but I don't really understand what is going on. All I know is you have to open the DMP files in the minidump folder using Windows debugger to find the root of the problem. I've done that but I cannot make sense of the code in the files. Can someone please help me? Thank you.

Oh yeah, I also tried System Restore to a point before this problem started occurring but that didn't fix the problem.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

03-Jul-2008, 09:52 PM #13
Also when i read the DMP files they all point to NDIS.sys as the problem which i have found out to be the driver for ethernet (i think). I don't know what to do next though and the dump files still don't make sense to me.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!