Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Windows XP Installation Problems

(!)

Junior Member with 7 posts.

18-Feb-2008, 08:36 PM #1
Windows XP Installation Problems
Hi, i need some help to install Windows XP on an old Toshiba Portege 7020CT laptop.

This laptop already had XP on it, but there was a lot of rubbish on it, so i decided to format and do a fresh install of Windows XP.

After formatting the laptop, i put the Windows XP CD in, and it asked me to create a partition which i did. After that i selected, "Format the partition using the NTFS file system".
It completes the format, then gives me this error message.

Setup cannot access the CD containing the Windows XP installation files.

To retry, press ENTER. If you are not successful after several tries, quit Setup. Then, to restart Setup, copy the Windows XP installation files to your hard disk.

Am i doing something wrong here?

Can anyone tell me how i can copy the XP installation files onto the hard disk of the laptop and install from that?

I have also tried to install Windows 98, but the CD doesnt boot up, as i need a floppy boot disk. This laptop has a floppy drive, but my PC that i am using just now doesnt, so i cant make a floppy boot disk. Is it possible to put the boot disc files onto CD or USB drive, then put that into the Toshiba laptop and copy them from the CD or USB onto the Floppy disk?

Thanks
Computer Specs
Member with 22,220 posts.

Experience: Advanced
18-Feb-2008, 08:48 PM #2
Seems to me 98 cd , full version, would boot to install off cd, I may be wrong but I wonder if the cd drive doesn't have problems.

18-Feb-2008, 08:51 PM #3
It could be the CD/DVD rom drive, i have tried downloading a Bootdisk from the net and burned onto a DVD and it seems to work ok. I have another copy of Windows 98 from my old PC kicking about, i will try that.
Computer Specs
Member with 4,228 posts.

18-Feb-2008, 08:52 PM #4
Are you trying to do this from within the existing XP ?
How did you format if you put the XP CD in after you did it ?

You need to go into the Bios Setup and make the CD drive the first boot device then put the XP CD in the drive and re-boot the computer.

EDIT : Just read Post #2 and #3, it should boot from the XP CD (and the Win98 CD's unless they are very early versions) is it a 'recovery' CD supplied by Toshiba ?

19-Feb-2008, 11:18 AM #5
No, i formatted the hard drive, and when i start up the laptop i get the NTLDR is missing or something like that.
I went to BIOS and changed the boot order to cd and floppy first, then I put in the XP CD restarted and then pressed enter to start from the CD. It is from there that i am trying to install XP.
It is Windows XP full on the CD not a manufactureres recovery CD.
Computer Specs
Member with 53 posts.

19-Feb-2008, 11:45 AM #6
it seems your Cd/DVD drive on your computer is not able to access the Files on the disc.. did you make shure your CD/DVD drives are in working order.. does your disc have any marks on it?
Computer Specs
Member with 22,220 posts.

19-Feb-2008, 11:52 AM #7
The cd drive can appear to work in every way except when it comes to XP install, it can't do it as it is a beginning sign of problems. It can only really be 4 things. The hard drive which is highly possible on an old laptop, the cd itself is scratched or corrupted, the cd drive or corrupted ram.

19-Feb-2008, 07:07 PM #8
Ok thanks for the replies.
Managed to get somewhere, i got my friend to make me a Windows 98 floppy boot disk. I put that in, and then started with CD ROM support, put in the Windows 98 CD in typed in D:\setup.exe
I have successfully managed to install windows 98 and the laptop is running ok.

Now the problem is i cant get Windows XP to install.
When i try to install it says that it cant read some files from the CD to copy over to the hard disk, so that means that the CD/DVD is knackered. Windows 98 works fine though.
Is there a way that i can connect this laptop to another on (via crossover?) and use the CD drive on the other laptop?

Thanks

Edit, i tried to copy the files over to the hard drive before installing XP, and it gets up to a point then gives me a file copy error.
An error occurred copying file sp2.cab to C:\...................................
The file is missing. Contact your administrator.

I had a look on the CD and its not there, where do i find it?
Computer Specs
Account Disabled with 4,825 posts.

Experience: Semi-advanced
11-Mar-2008, 02:07 PM #9
Quote:
Edit, i tried to copy the files over to the hard drive before installing XP, and it gets up to a point then gives me a file copy error.
An error occurred copying file sp2.cab to C:\...................................
The file is missing. Contact your administrator.
Bad or damaged disc. Try copying it on a friend's computer. Some opticals can handle marginal discs better than others.
Computer Specs
Member with 4,228 posts.

11-Mar-2008, 07:28 PM #10
It might be better to stick with Win 98, how much Ram and hard drive space does the laptop have ?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!