Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Installing XP STOP: 0x0000007e

(!)

Junior Member with 14 posts.

08-Mar-2008, 10:15 AM #1
Exclamation Installing XP STOP: 0x0000007e
I recently tried building a new computer from parts i custom ordered off the internet. It has:

ASUS p5vd2-VM SE motherboard
Intel Celeron D 356 Cedar Mill 3.3 ghz CPU
2 sticks of Kingston 1GB ram
EVGA 7300 GT nvidia Video card
Hitachi 80 GB hard drive
LG Super drive

I've never run into this kind of problem before and i have no idea how to fix it.

I put everything together, went into bios, changed the time. Made sure everything else was alright, (boot order basically) then put in my XP disc (that ive used for computers before) and restarted. It recognized it, went to the windows blue screen where it tried to load everything. Loaded everything (at the bottom in the gray bar) then the last thing it says is "Starting Windows Setup" (or something close to that) the screen flickers and up comes a blue screen saying

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. If is the fi.... blah blah"

Then Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007e (0xC0000005, 0xF78E0BF, 0xF78DA208, 0xF78D9F08)

*** pci.sys - Address F748E0BF base at F7487000 DateStamp 3b7d855c

At the moment i am completely lost, my only thought was to take out the video card and see if that helped (since it said something about video drivers) but everything is brand new, and plugged in correctly (i believe) so i dont understand what is going on!? Please Help.

Thanks
Computer Specs
Member with 51,993 posts.

08-Mar-2008, 10:55 AM #2
That reference to video is generic and is on all blue screens.

What is on the drive?

Are BIOS settings at default (or "setup" default if you have that setting)?

Any hardware you can disconnect just for the installation?

08-Mar-2008, 11:57 AM #3
Video card out
I've taken the video card out and I reset my bios to default settings. The default thinks I have a floppy so it sat there and waited, so then I set floopy as disabled and still get the same error. What else can be causing this? My ASUS bios version is 5020, should I update my bios?

09-Mar-2008, 01:12 PM #4
Update:
I have tried taking the video card out, taking one of my two sticks of RAM out, trying a different windows XP disc, and reseting the "Default Bios Setting" via the option in the BIOS. Still no luck. It starts windows setup, loads all the files, and the last thing it says is "Loading Windows Setup" then the screen blinks and comes to the blue screen. There IS no floppy drive, so the options the manual gives me for inserting a floppy is impossible unless i take out a floppy drive of my other computers. (would like to not do that..) Any Ideas?
Senior Member with 730 posts.

Experience: Advanced
09-Mar-2008, 02:03 PM #5
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/839641
You receive a stop error 0x7E in Pci.sys
This problem occurs when you remove the CardBus adapter from the computer after a file transfer or after editing a file on the Compact Flash card.
To resolve this problem, obtain the latest service pack for Microsoft Windows XP. For additional information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

If that is not it, then it is probably a problem with mismatched or defective RAM, or you have your BIOS set to Plug and Play OS (PCI.sys is the NT PLug and Play PCI ennumerator. )(XP is a non Plug and Play OS, Its memory manager lets each application and device think it has its choice of I/O and memory addresses and then remaps them on the fly to the actual memory addresses. By setting it to plug and play in bios it is forced to use the ones assigned by the bios instead of the better management it can achieve.)So if this is happening on initial install then change the bios to non plug and play .

Most stop error 7E with first parameter 0xC0000005 have to do with a memory issue.

http://www.aumha.org/a/stop.php
0x0000007E: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
A system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch. There are numerous individual causes for this problem, including hardware incompatibility, a faulty device driver or system service, or some software issues. Check Event Viewer (EventVwr.msc) for additional information.
0xC0000005: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION indicates a memory access violation occurred.
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/ms795746.aspx

09-Mar-2008, 02:54 PM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by oshwyn5 View Post
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/839641
You receive a stop error 0x7E in Pci.sys
This problem occurs when you remove the CardBus adapter from the computer after a file transfer or after editing a file on the Compact Flash card.
To resolve this problem, obtain the latest service pack for Microsoft Windows XP. For additional information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

If that is not it, then it is probably a problem with mismatched or defective RAM, or you have your BIOS set to Plug and Play OS (PCI.sys is the NT PLug and Play PCI ennumerator. )(XP is a non Plug and Play OS, Its memory manager lets each application and device think it has its choice of I/O and memory addresses and then remaps them on the fly to the actual memory addresses. By setting it to plug and play in bios it is forced to use the ones assigned by the bios instead of the better management it can achieve.)So if this is happening on initial install then change the bios to non plug and play .

Most stop error 7E with first parameter 0xC0000005 have to do with a memory issue.

http://www.aumha.org/a/stop.php
0x0000007E: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
A system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch. There are numerous individual causes for this problem, including hardware incompatibility, a faulty device driver or system service, or some software issues. Check Event Viewer (EventVwr.msc) for additional information.
0xC0000005: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION indicates a memory access violation occurred.
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/ms795746.aspx
I haven't removed anything, and i havent had windows on here before, its a brand new computer. This is the first time attempting to install an operating system, so the first option isn't the case..

If the problem IS the memory, how would i fixed it. I HAD two sticks of 1GB 240 pin 667 Ram in there, took those out, put in one (240 pin 512MB [667?]) stick out of my personal computer, and got the same error. So i figured the RAM is fine..

It did not verrify that System Thread Exception Not Handled stuff, it just puts that code, nothing else. I can take a picture of the blue screen if that might help?

Two last questions, Where in the BIOS would i find the option to turn off the Plug and Play OS, and second, would it help to update the BIOS if it is available (and how would i do that without a floppy drive, or an operating system?)
Like i said i've never run into a problem installing the operating system, so i have NO idea how to fix it.

(EDIT: Picture http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=10xzo61&s=3

Last edited by thenephites221; 09-Mar-2008 at 03:01 PM.. Reason: added picture
Computer Specs
Member with 22,220 posts.

09-Mar-2008, 06:07 PM #7
Read here and see if any of the possibilities fit...I would remove everything but 1 ram stick, the psu, the video card, and 1 hard drive and cpu. See if you get any errors.If you do the problem is video card or ram, if you don't then add cd drive and install again...leave all pci cards, all usb devices (except mouse and keyboard if you must but I would rather see Ps2 in use here if possible)....this is a device compatibility issue.
Disregard plug'n'play reference, it's ridiculous, but perhaps a reset of bios to optimum defaults would bea good idea also.

09-Mar-2008, 07:33 PM #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-M View Post
Read here and see if any of the possibilities fit...I would remove everything but 1 ram stick, the psu, the video card, and 1 hard drive and cpu. See if you get any errors.If you do the problem is video card or ram, if you don't then add cd drive and install again...leave all pci cards, all usb devices (except mouse and keyboard if you must but I would rather see Ps2 in use here if possible)....this is a device compatibility issue.
Disregard plug'n'play reference, it's ridiculous, but perhaps a reset of bios to optimum defaults would bea good idea also.
The computer works fine bios wise with everything in it, the problem is when i put the Windows CD into the drive and try to install it, then it loads everything and gets the blue screen.
Computer Specs

09-Mar-2008, 08:12 PM #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenephites221 View Post
The computer works fine bios wise with everything in it, the problem is when i put the Windows CD into the drive and try to install it, then it loads everything and gets the blue screen.
Then the cd or the drive is NG.

09-Mar-2008, 08:26 PM #10
I'm sorry, NG ... No good?

09-Mar-2008, 08:34 PM #11
And i just tried taking the CD drive out of my old computer and trying it, windows setup came with the same message.
Computer Specs

09-Mar-2008, 08:42 PM #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenephites221 View Post
I'm sorry, NG ... No good?
yes that's right.

17-Mar-2008, 06:44 AM #13
Hey guys, heres a follow up, I took the hard drive out, put it in another build, installed windows xp professional. Worked fine. Windows installed, and booted up. I took the hard drive out, brought it to this computer i had been having problems with (because we had got it to boot up before with another hard drive in there) and we put this hard drive in, and it began to start up, but gave us the same blue screen. Is it a bad motherboard? Does it need a bios update? Is the memory or CPU incompatiable? Please Help.
Computer Specs

17-Mar-2008, 07:26 AM #14
Not necessarily as this pc should not have done much else with another pc hardware install.
However it looks like the drive then is ok. There are usually 4 reasons the install won't complete.
1) Bad or mismatched ram
2) BAD CD
3) bad cd drive and you have eliminated 4 which is weak or dying hard drive.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!