Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

No Internet Connection After System Restore

(!)

Junior Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
17-Mar-2008, 11:48 AM #1
Arrow No Internet Connection After System Recovery
Several months ago my sister-in-law asked for help after her teenagers got her PC badly infected with viruses. I eventually did a complete system recovery using the Recovery CD that came with her computer. Everything came up running fine but I found that the PC could not access the internet even though it was still connected to the cable modem it was using previously. I spent quite some time on the phone with tech support for their Cable ISP and they walked me through quite a number of things with no luck. She finally took their PC to a local shop that got it working again for $125. They never said what they did to it but when she brought it home it worked fine.

Yesterday a niece brought me her laptop in the same condition, full of viruses. Again, after trying to get it cleaned up I finally resorted to the Recovery CD. Once again I have a clean system which is supposed to be in the same state as when it was purchased new. And once again, it cannot find the wireless connection it used prior to the infection. I checked System Devices and it appears everything is enabled and working. I haven't tried connecting a cable directly to the LAN port yet but this seems suspiciously similar to the first one I did the restore on. Both PC's are running Windows XP. Help.

Last edited by longfoot; 17-Mar-2008 at 12:07 PM.. Reason: Changed "Restore" to "Recovery" for correctness.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 568 posts.

Experience: Advanced
17-Mar-2008, 12:05 PM #2
Are you using a router? If so then some details would help. If your not using a router then you should contact your ISP to get them to assist with troubleshooting. They probably have a FAQ on a web site you could refer to also.

Your problem is a bit confusing, on one hand you say your using wireless, then on another hand you say your on a LAN, I'm pretty confident if your connecting directly to the cable modem that you're using the LAN, but I'm not sure if it's clear where the problem is.

17-Mar-2008, 12:15 PM #3
Jeruvy, 1st system was attached to a cable modem and the ISP did exhaust all remedies over the phone with me. 2nd PC is a laptop which is normally used via a wireless router in the home. I also have a wireless router in my home where I worked on it. Once the system Recover CD completed, the laptop could not find my wireless network. I went to my nieces house with the laptop and it could not find her wireless network either. I only mentioned that I did not try to connect a cable from her router to the laptop because I thought that might help narrow the problem down to her wireless card if that worked. However I'm more inclined to think I've lost all internet connectivity the same as happened on the 1st PC I worked on. I can't figure out why in both cases running the Recovery CD resulted in a loss of internet. Does this make more sense now?
Computer Specs

17-Mar-2008, 12:30 PM #4
I think I understand the problem, but it doesn't make sense That's ok I'll try to work it out.

Ok so lets get back to talking about the problem. Let me repeat this so I can articulate I'm understanding the problem now.

The PC has a LAN and WLAN connection, neither work.

You ran a recovery CD (I'll presume a Dell or HP) and that lost your internet. Probably because your settings were lost in the process.

Let's take a look at the hardware, are all the drivers installed or any errors/warnings showing up?

1. Go to Device Manager, Right click on 'My Computer' select 'manage'.
2. In the left pane look for 'Device Manager', double click on it.
3. Errors are usually shown immediately, but take a look under 'Networking', any "!" or yellow icons over any devices indicating an error?

If the above shows up then you'll need to download the appropriate drivers.

17-Mar-2008, 01:03 PM #5
Jeruvy,

The laptop is a Gateway. I went to Start->Control Panel->System->Hardware->Device Manager->Network Adapters. When I clicked the + sign I think there were three separate devices. One was the wireless card I know. I think one was the LAN port. Not sure now what the other one was. There were no "!" marks or yellow icons. I was specifically looking for that. I looked at the properties for each of the three and all three said "This device is working properly." Again, this is the exact same thing I encountered after the Recovery on my sister-in-law's PC several months ago. It is my understanding that after running the factory Recovery CD and following all instructions properly, you should have a PC identical to the state it was in when you unpacked it new. However when both of these systems were unpacked and turned on new they both worked with the internet immediately. I'm thinking I'd better stop offering to help people. It seems the cure is worse than the original problem.
Computer Specs

17-Mar-2008, 01:23 PM #6
Ok, if they are all showing 'working properly' then the drivers are installed for those devices.

Now, try with the LAN connection connect DIRECTLY to the router. I assume your Router has an address like 192.168.0.1, if so go ahead from a command prompt and 'ping' the router. If it responds, then you know the LAN adaptor works fine, it just needs some configuring.

Repeat with the Wireless LAN 'once you can confirm a valid connection'.

Any errors reports details please.

(Also, since I get confused really easy, lets just talk about the problem PC, not every other one you've worked on thanks a bunch!)

17-Mar-2008, 01:47 PM #7
Jeruvy, O.K. Sounds like a good plan. I am at work though so I'll have to continue later. I appreciate the help so far though. Sorry about the confusion too. I'll stick to the problem at hand on the laptop. It might be a day or two before I can continue as it will be that long before I can get to the laptop again. Take care and Happy St. Patrick's Day.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!