Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: VMWare - How do I get VM Player to boot from the bootable guest OS setup cd or ISO?

(!)

snorkytheweasel snorkytheweasel is offline snorkytheweasel has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 215 posts.

Experience: UNIX/VMS:Elder Geek; DOS/
02-Apr-2008, 11:57 PM #1
Solved: VMWare - How do I get VM Player to boot from the bootable guest OS setup cd or ISO?
How do I get VM Player to boot from either
  • the bootable guest OS setup cd
    OR
  • the bootable guest os ISO
instead of from a network boot?

When I start the newly-created Virtual Machine, the process proceeds directly to network boot (it doesn't even wait for F12).

When I figured out how to slow down the boot process, I used bios setup to give the CD top priority and the network boot the lowest priority. Next I activated to boot menu, and always chose CD-ROM.

I tried setting devices as follows:
  • CD IDE1 both checked on and capture ISO
  • Ethernet in all possible combinations of connected/not connected and bridged, NAT, and host-only
  • Current view is Console (appliance is greyed out)
Network service boot will not work in my environment and is useless for me. When it fails - as it always will - it tells me "Operating System Not Found".

What is going on? Am I missing the secret handshake or holy incantation?
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

03-Apr-2008, 12:17 AM #2
From what I've read, VMWare Player doesn't support switching between boot devices. That decision was made when the virtual system was rolled out from Workstation to Player.
snorkytheweasel snorkytheweasel is offline snorkytheweasel has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 215 posts.

03-Apr-2008, 12:26 AM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleHelix View Post
From what I've read, VMWare Player doesn't support switching between boot devices. That decision was made when the virtual system was rolled out from Workstation to Player.
If that's true, then why are there options for "capture ISO" and "CD" ?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
03-Apr-2008, 01:05 AM #4
You have to get your cursor grabbed at the very start of boot and then press the Esc key. This all happens very quickly, but you can get a boot menu that way. Click fast inside the window, 2 or 3 times just to be sure it is caught, and hit the Esc key

But I have one VM set up just for testing iso's. I set up the CD-ROM to use either a physical drive or an iso and boot and it boots directly to the iso since there are no other bootable devices, even though I have 2 virtual hard drives (empty). I have not seen the network boot option, but if you have it, then there must be some way to disable it. Are you using NAT for internet access or some other network config?

But nevertheless, the boot menu will solve the problem.

QEMU is also handy for simple, bootable iso's.

Last edited by Elvandil; 03-Apr-2008 at 01:10 AM..
Computer Specs
Member with 215 posts.

03-Apr-2008, 12:24 PM #5
From the original post:

"When I figured out how to slow down the boot process, I used bios setup to give the CD top priority and the network boot the lowest priority. Next I activated to boot menu, and always chose CD-ROM."

I should have worded that better, but the essence is that choosing CD from that boot menu makes no difference. The VM thumbs its nose at me and goes about its business of attempting a network boot.
Computer Specs

03-Apr-2008, 12:35 PM #6
Are you sure the CD-ROM is OK? How did you burn the CD and are you sure it is bootable? Will your PC boot from the CD? Have you tried changing the boot order in BIOS?
Computer Specs
Member with 215 posts.

03-Apr-2008, 12:53 PM #7
I Did it! (Sort of.....)
I set aside VM Ware and used (reluctantly) MicroSoft's Virtual PC 2007 (aka VPC).

I used VPC to
  1. create the Virtual Machine (aka VM) (it's the host)
  2. install Vista as the guest operating system within that host VM
When setting up the Virtual Machine for that, I told it to
  • set the CD on the PRIMARY controller
  • disable automatic search for floppy
After this guest OS install is successful , I'll
  1. try installing a non-MS guest OS in a new VPC VM
  2. see if VM Ware can be tweaked to make a VM that will play nicer
Computer Specs
Member with 215 posts.

03-Apr-2008, 01:07 PM #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvandil View Post
Are you sure the CD-ROM is OK? How did you burn the CD and are you sure it is bootable? Will your PC boot from the CD? Have you tried changing the boot order in BIOS?
  • Are you sure the CD-ROM is OK?
    Yes - both of the CDs I tried (Vista and Ubuntu) will boot in two different physical machines (including the computer that contains the virtual machines)
  • How did you burn the CD?
    My boss handed me the Vista CDs. I created Ubuntu CD from an ISO provided by Ubuntu. Both CDs each can boot two physical computers. Also, the Ubuntu CD did a complete, working install on the second physical computer.
  • Are you sure it is bootable?
    Yes - see above
  • Will your PC boot from the CD?
    Yes - see above
  • Have you tried changing the boot order in BIOS?
    Yes. From the original post:
    I used bios setup to give the CD top priority and the network boot the lowest priority. Next I activated to boot menu, and always chose CD-ROM.
I just posted an update on the situation. Microsoft's Virtual PC 2007 works to create a VM and to install a guest OS (Vista) in it.

MS 1, VMWare 0. Who'da thunk it?
Computer Specs
Member with 215 posts.

03-Apr-2008, 01:11 PM #9
If that's true, then why are there options for "capture ISO" and "CD" ?

There's a third option: "Floppy"

Since I have no intention of creating a bootable floppy, I forgot to mention that earlier as an option. Heck, I'd have to hunt around for a floppy - and hunt more for one that I could trust to make bootable. Floppies are so-o-o-o 90s
Computer Specs

03-Apr-2008, 01:43 PM #10
Not sure what is different about your config than mine, but all I can think of is the network you chose. I have always used NAT since I want internet access from the guest and that's all. I have no provision for a network boot that way. But it always boots from the iso or the CD if present.

03-Apr-2008, 02:40 PM #11
Are you both talking about VMWare Player? Or are you talking about VMWare Workstation? When I open a virtual machine in VMWare Player, I don't see the option to change the CD-ROM settings.
Computer Specs
Member with 215 posts.

03-Apr-2008, 03:52 PM #12
Quote:
Are you both talking about VMWare Player? Or are you talking about VMWare Workstation? When I open a virtual machine in VMWare Player, I don't see the option to change the CD-ROM settings.
It's Player. Fer Shure.

It says so on the menu bar: right next to the options for Upgrade to Workstation, CD, Ethernet, Sound Adapter, USB, and removeable disks. It also says so at the bottom of the frame around a VM when it's running, and three times on the opening screen - the one from which one chooses a VM.

03-Apr-2008, 04:01 PM #13
The menu bar on my install of VMWare player shows connected devices but nothing about what device to boot from. Either we're losing something in the communication here, or you're running something completely different than what I have. It sounds like Elvandil must have the same app installed. It certainly isn't the VMWare Player I have installed and doesn't match the documentation I read.
Computer Specs
Member with 215 posts.

03-Apr-2008, 04:05 PM #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvandil View Post
Not sure what is different about your config than mine, but all I can think of is the network you chose. I have always used NAT since I want internet access from the guest and that's all. I have no provision for a network boot that way. But it always boots from the iso or the CD if present.
I tried "NAT" and "Host Only", each of which sounded promising. I also tried "Bridged" and one other (whose label I forget) None of the above helped.

03-Apr-2008, 04:09 PM #15
Just out of curiosity, can you post a screen shot of your VMWare Player window?
Email This Email  Print This Print  Bookmark This Bookmark  Tweet This Send to Facebook Send to MySpace Send to StumbleUpon Digg This | More Services More
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!