Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

PC Keeps Blue Screening! Hardware or Software?? STOP Messages + Screenshots. HELP!

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 9 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
14-Apr-2008, 12:27 PM #1
Question PC Keeps Blue Screening! Hardware or Software?? STOP Messages + Screenshots. HELP!
Hi,

My computer has been Blue Screening a lot recently making it basically unusable.
Here are the stop codes within the last 24hrs. I also took a photo of the screen so you can read the full message:

***STOP: 0x000000F4 {0x00000003, 0x88CBB790, 0x88CBB904, 0x805011F8}

***STOP: 0x0000007A {0xC05D35E8, 0xC000009D, 0xBA6BD2A0, 0x3C3D2860}

***STOP: 0x00000077 {0xC000009D, 0xC000009D, 0x00000000, 0x0BA5F000}

***STOP: c0000218 {Registry File Failure}

Every time it is different, sometimes the error is just along the lines of “Unknown Hard Error”. The BSOD seem to happen at any time; before Windows boots up, in Safe Mode, or in Windows – whilst doing nothing or using software etc. Though it usually happens in spells i.e. several crashes in quick succession then reboot and it can be fine for a few hours. During this ‘stable time’ Ive tried to get it to crash on purpose by loading up lots of programs to try and strain the system, but it seems fine.

I thought it might have been the hard drives, but after using a program called HDD Regenerator to check for errors it found 0 bad sectors. I have also tried reinstalling all the Windows system files from a partition on the hard drive set up by the manufacturer (MESH Computers), and running several Scandisks, which seemed to fix the problem for a while. Ive also done all the usual spyware and virus scans.

This morning while trying to boot into safe mode I got an error saying “Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM” (screenshot: http://img392.imageshack.us/img392/731/errorrn2.jpg), but I just rebooted and it was fine.

Does it sound like a hardware or software error? I had to replace the chipset fan on my motherboard a few months ago and Im wondering if it overheated and some permanent damage was done? Formatting the hard drives is really last resort for me.

Thanks for any help, Ben.

PC Specs (2.5 years old):
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 FX-57
RAM: 2048MB (2x1024) DDR400 Memory
GFX: NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX 256MB
HDD: 500GB (2x 250GB) SATA Hard Drive 7200RPM with 16MB Buffer. RAID 0 Config.
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe.
SOUNDCARD: CreativeLabs Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS
PSU: 550W
Computer Specs
Member with 458 posts.

Experience: Advanced
14-Apr-2008, 01:53 PM #2
Did you try doing a repair install of XP?

Have you tried doing a system restore to a date when you know it was working?
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 9 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
15-Apr-2008, 11:06 AM #3
Hi,

Thank you for replying.

I tried doing a system restore - it blue screened in the middle of the restoration - really messed things up. The display settings went to a really low resolution and bit depth, and couldnt be changed.

I uninstalled the graphics card driver then re-installed the latest one, and now its gone back to normal, but still crashing. I tried a system restore several more times, and even though it reached the end without crashing when Windows restarted it said the the system restore was unsuccessful.

So then I tried a repair install of Windows XP. On doing so the following error came up "Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer...."

What the hell is going wrong! My hard drives are in a RAID 0 configeration - could this be whats causing them not to be recognised? I really want to do a repair rather than format the whole hard drive.

Please Help!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!