Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Mouse won't select text - please help!

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 11 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
19-Apr-2008, 09:46 PM #1
Solved: Mouse won't select text - please help!
Greetings folks

This is my first post here. I came to this site on the strong recommendation of Gizmo - famous for his "46 best freeware" website and newsletter.

I'm posting this under the XP section simply because I don't have this problem on my other operating system (Win98se)

In a nutshell - my mouse will not select text ... but only in certain situations! Yes - that's true.

Let me explain ...

When I left-click and drag my mouse over text in MS Word or in an e-mail message in Outlook Express, then the text is highlighted and ready to delete, copy, paste etc. In other words, everything works as it should in those situations.

BUT ... my mouse will NOT select text in Notepad. Also, it won't do it in the address bar of Internet Explorer. Also, you know the boxes that apear when you "Save As ... " and you can type in the name of the file or webite you want to save? ... well the mouse won't select text in those boxes either. Same story in the Subject line of Outlook Express. I can type something there but if I make a mistake and want to select that text ... my mouse will not do it!

Although this is not a mission-critical problem, it is starting to drive me insane.

And yes, the very first thing I did after registering was to do a search, but couldn't find an answer.

I'd really appreciate it if you good folk could assist me with this.

Thank you very much.

Take care and go well ...

Dr. Mac

P.S. My mouse selected the above - "Dr. Mac" perfectly so I could format it in Bold type. So why the h*** do I have this problem in the types of situations mentioned above?
Computer Specs
Member with 45,855 posts.

Experience: I know when to fold em'
19-Apr-2008, 11:09 PM #2
How long has the problem existed?

Would you try booting up in Safe Mode, (or Safe Mode with Networking support for anything that requires online replication) and see if the problem exists there?

I'm thinking it might be a display driver issue and this will eliminate your normal drivers.

If the problem does not occur in Safe Mode, try the next boot in "VGA" mode from the boot menu.

Also, do you have another browser such as Firefox to test with?
Computer Specs

20-Apr-2008, 10:18 AM #3
Dear Rollin' Rog

Greetings - and thank you for your reply.

Here are the answers to your questions and suggestions ....

1. The problem has only recently appeared - and I think it was after I changed the visual themes from the WinXP default (blue) to the XP Silver display theme. So ... guess I'll change it back to the default and see what happens!

2. Unfortunately my PC is an old baby - only has a CPU of 450 and memory is 160. Nevertheless, XP Pro runs perfectly and is pretty fast considering. BUT this old PC will not allow me to get into Safe Mode ... the best it can do is get me to a Safe Mode command prompt!

3. I'm pretty sure my graphics drivers are OK because, as I said above, everything was working perfectly until I changed the theme.

4. Trying another browser? Never thought of that!

Thank you again for your helpful suggestions.

Take care and go well ...

Dr. Mac
Computer Specs

20-Apr-2008, 11:14 AM #4
Well if the problem is recent I always like to resort to System Restore to undo any recent changes. You can change back if not helpful.

To run System Restore, run msconfig and Launch System Restore. Choose a date when all was well.

You will have the opportunity to test and undo the restore if you choose.

You're safe mode problem is a little puzzling. Safe Mode with Command prompt is Safe Mode but without Explorer running. What happens when you try it?
Computer Specs

20-Apr-2008, 02:22 PM #5
Greetings again Rollin' Rog

Well ... after a lot of "System Restoring" and messing about with changing themes etc, I eventually got the "mouse won't select" problem sorted.

And what a lesson that was for me.

The fact is, that the mouse actually WAS selecting all along, but I was unable to see that it was selecting because the highlight colour that is normally present (the default dark blue) had been changed to ... WHITE ... when I changed the theme!

I also noticed that when I downloaded a file, the progress bar did not show any progress! (As I learned later on, there actually WAS a progress bar but as it was in the colour white, I couldn't see it!)

After doing the System Restore I compared settings and found the culprit. It was in the "Appearance" settings >> Advanced >> Selected items.

I changed the colour to dark blue and BINGO! - everything back to normal.

Thank you again for your replies - I do appreciate that.

Go well ...

Dr. Mac
Computer Specs

20-Apr-2008, 04:49 PM #6
Ah, yes that thought occured to me when you mentioned themes -- although it hasn't been since Win98 days that I can recall just what the selection issue was that caused it.

Feel free to mark the thread "Solved" using the Thread Tools menu here.

You're welcome for any help on my part
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!