Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Logonui.exe Error Message

(!)

Junior Member with 20 posts.

Experience: Beginner
22-Apr-2008, 07:55 AM #1
Logonui.exe Error Message
My sister turned on the computer this morning and the logonui.exe error message came up. We restarted the computer numerous times over half a hour, and it did not go away. This message said that the memory "cannot be read". I'm sending this from safe mode, where I checked on a previous solution someone offered about regedit.exe - windowsnt/software/windowslogon (I'm sorry, I cannot remember the exact path). I checked it and the data value is logonui.exe. We've been having the problem on and off for a couple of days, but not to the extent where we have to access files from safe mode. I would really like to go back to normal. Any help will be appreciated. I have all the XP CDs, AVG is up to date.
Thanks
Member with 146 posts.

Experience: STP: Stimpy Trained Professional
22-Apr-2008, 08:42 AM #2
http://www.file.net/process/logonui.exe.html

should tell you how to deal with it

22-Apr-2008, 09:04 AM #3
I have read the article and do not understand what it means. Is it a virus? My scans are up to date. The article does not clearly state how to repair it. I would really like to get my computer back to normal, and not work from Safe Mode.
Member with 146 posts.

22-Apr-2008, 09:29 AM #4
From what I have read about it, it is possibly linked to spyware as well. try running spybot s & d.

22-Apr-2008, 09:37 AM #5
I ran AVG yesterday and it came up clean. I do not understand how it happened and why. I'm too scared to leave Safe Mode and check it's back to normal, in case I cannot get back. I have work to do and I cannot do it in Safe Mode - I just really want the computer to back to normal.

22-Apr-2008, 09:41 AM #6
Do you need a HJT log? If so, I can send you one and you can see if there's anything there.
Member with 146 posts.

22-Apr-2008, 09:45 AM #7
well if you ran a spyware scan and it came up clean (its different from a virus scan, just in case) you could try creating a new profile and seeing if the problem still exists.

22-Apr-2008, 09:56 AM #8
I cannot see my Windows Desktop. It loads to the blue screen "Windows is starting up" and then the message appears. I cannot see any users or access any files. I can see everything in Safe Mode. I cannot keep using Safe Mode.

29-Apr-2008, 04:52 AM #9
It fixed itself last time, I'm not sure how. Yesterday - I turned it on again at 06:45 to run a scan (I find it easier to run early in the morning). The message came up. I went into Safe Mode for a minute, thinking it would help. I restarted the computer from Safe Mode and the message kept coming back. I have tried twice to go in Safe Mode and it hangs at the point where the list ends and just before the Safe Mode screen comes on - ie it says multidisk..... and then hangs. I restarted the computer and CHKDSK is currently checking for consistency. I'm letting that run in case, I don't know if it'll help. The only new software I added was the upgrade to RealPlayer yesterday. It required a reboot, which I did. The first time - the message appeared. The second time - it went back to normal. I'm fearing that I might not even be able to access Safe Mode. As soon as CHKDSK has finished, I'll update this thread. What I do not understand is
  • what is logonui.exe
  • what it means
  • why it keeps coming
  • how to fix it

Today - I turned the computer on again this morning and the message came back. I got it into Safe Mode and it works fine. I scanned the computer yesterday - it was clean. Someone sent me a file to download - http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_d...x_xp_logon.htm. I can only run the program in Safe Mode and it said there were no errors. I cannot keep using Safe Mode. How do I fix it now? I do not know why it keeps happening. Yesterday, it took a hour for the Windows Desktop screen to come back. How do I stop the error message from coming back? I just really want it to go back to normal. I have to keep restarting it from the power button - I'm scared that I'm going to break it. I know there's no viruses on my computer. Are there any fixes I can run from Safe Mode, considering I cannot get anywhere else. I'm getting really annoyed now. CHKDSK ran again. It finished, repaired the errors, restarted and the error message came back. I have the computer in Safe Mode, what do I do now? Yesterday, CHKDSK ran, repaired the errors and went back to normal. What I can do is limited. I knew this would happen again.

Sorry if this seems long - I tried to put everything down.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!