Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

PC shuts down while writing a disc

(!)

Member with 51 posts.

Experience: Beginner
24-Apr-2008, 05:29 PM #1
PC shuts down while writing a disc
Hi all

I've been having problems recently with my computer freezing after booting up and after resetting it a couple of times it seemed to work ok. This doesn't happen so often over the last 2-3 weeks but it's shut itself down a couple of times. I've just been browsing the web or writing up documents or something that didn't require opening/using software other than a browser or MS Word so I've really no clue why it did it. Then I went to write a disc using Nero last night (having not used Nero for several months) and after a couple of seconds the PC shut down. I've just tried to write the disc again twice, and each time it shut off after a few seconds. I've performed a scan with AVG and it doesn't find any problems. I honestly don't know what the problem is let alone how to fix it.

Can anyone help? I'm afraid I don't even know what information to provide, so if you think you can suggest a way to fix it, then please ask me whatever you'll need to know.

thanks very much
Computer Specs
Member with 91 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
24-Apr-2008, 06:22 PM #2
Does your computer do the proper shutdown procedure or does it just suddenly power off? What happens when you play an audio CD?
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 447 posts.

Experience: Level 21
24-Apr-2008, 06:43 PM #3
If it does a proper shutdown, then you likely have malware that is trying to hide itself or something. If not, something might be overheating.
Computer Specs
Member with 91 posts.

24-Apr-2008, 06:52 PM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwassnow View Post
If not, something might be overheating.
Either that or the power supply is failing, but I'll stop guessing until I hear more details.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 447 posts.

Experience: Level 21
24-Apr-2008, 06:53 PM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Stranger View Post
Either that or the power supply is failing, but I'll stop guessing until I hear more details.
Agreed.
Member with 51 posts.

25-Apr-2008, 07:21 AM #6
Thanks for your interest in helping me solve this! The computer just turns off. No shut down procedure or anything, it's as though the plug has just been pulled. When I then turn it back on (I usually give it ten seconds or so), there is no error message or problem or anything that might provide a log of an error (that I am aware of anyway, maybe there's some system log that I could access?).

Audio CDs have not proved problematic as far as I can remember, though it's probably been a month or two since I last played one. I will try and see what happens tonight when I get home.

If it is overheating, could it be because all of a sudden it's working a little harder when the CD writer kicks in? It does seem odd that I 'know' it will power off if I start writing a disc, but other times it just seems to be random.

How can I test if the unit is overheating or the power supply is failing?
Member with 51 posts.

25-Apr-2008, 07:50 AM #7
Just in case this info may help: I bought the machine as a custom build about a year and a half ago, with the following specs:

CPU
INTEL® CORE® 2 DUO E6600 (2 X 2.40GHZ) 1066mhz FSB/4MB Cache
Memory
2048 MB CORSAIR DDR2-667 PC5300 - LIFETIME WARRANTY! (2x1GB)
Motherboard
ASUS® P5N32 SLI SE DELUXE: 2 PCI, DUAL LAN, SATA RAID
USB Options
SIX USB 2.0 PORTS (4 REAR + 2 FRONT)
Hard Drive 1
SATA II 320 GB HARD DISK @ 7200rpm 8mb cache
Raid
NONE
CD Writer/Combi Drive
16x +/- DVD WRITER (8x +/- Dual Lyr) (5x DVD-RAM) (40x CD-RW)
Graphics Card 1
NVIDIA 7950GX
Sound
HIGH END ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL SOUND
Network Facilities
10/100/1000 NETWORK CARD FOR BROADBAND
Floppy Disk Drive
INTERNAL 23 IN 1 CARD READER (READS XD FORMAT) (NO FLOPPY)
Power Supply & Cooling
500W (Peak) Super Quiet Dual Rail PSU + 120mm fan & CPU Cooler

The disc writer I have been using is an old one that I had before I got the PC. It's a Pioneer though I can't remember which model. I've never had any problems with it before.

thanks again

Charlotte
Computer Specs
Member with 91 posts.

25-Apr-2008, 06:28 PM #8
I recommend you open up the tower and see whether or not the fans are running. Also check for dust buildup on the CPU heatsink.
By all means check to see if it acts up when an audio CD is being played (or watch a DVD movie for that matter.)
The only way to check the power supply is to take it into a repair shop to have it bench tested or try another power supply in the computer.
Member with 51 posts.

26-Apr-2008, 03:20 AM #9
Playing an audio CD/DVD works fine.

I just turned my computer on for the first time today and tried writing a disc first thing, but it powered off right away. The computer had only been on 5 minutes, could it have overheated so quickly?
Member with 51 posts.

26-Apr-2008, 06:10 AM #10
Right, I just opened up the tower and I am ashamed to say it was clogged with dust! I've lived in many places but this flat is the worst for dust with its wooden floors and a pet rabbit! So I have removed all the dust and tried writing another disc. The fans are working. It doesn't power off after 2-5 seconds, it now lasts about 1 and a half minutes. I've tried writing a disc from both the DVD writers in my tower, but in both instances the machine now powers off after about a minute and a half. So removing dust has lengthened the time that the computer can write a disc for but it still powers off. Does this narrow down anything?

I'm loathe to take it to a shop as it's so expensive in England to do that and I don't have the money available right now.
Computer Specs
Member with 246 posts.

26-Apr-2008, 06:18 AM #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritseeker View Post
just turned my computer on for the first time today and tried writing a disc first thing, but it powered off right away. The computer had only been on 5 minutes, could it have overheated so quickly ?
your board is ASUS. do you have the utility ASUS Probe that came on the motherboard's driver CD or is that utility already installed ? if so, install/run it ASAP when in Desktop, check the CPU/Motherboard temps. check the voltages on the +12v +3v +5v rails .......there should be a variance (+ or -) on each of those voltages of no more than 5%. Note the RPMs of the CPU fan speed.

(you can also) switch it off, let it cool down a few hours, boot up, go straight to your BIOS and go to something called - "Hardware Monitor" (or some similar name), watch the CPU temp for a while. note the temp.
Computer Specs
Member with 246 posts.

26-Apr-2008, 06:35 AM #12
on the following link
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=2097
scroll down to view your heatsink. is it the same one ?

see the black fan on top of the heatsink ? between the bottom of that black fan and the top of the silver heatsink, there is a horizontal space. That space is notorious for dust buildup, which can eventually suffocate the cooling of the CPU. My Intel Celeron here (similar HS/F design) suffers that problem, to the point of having to air spray blast that space every few months.

get a torch out, have a good look at it.....
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!