Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Folders taking too long to load

(!)

Member with 47 posts.

26-Apr-2008, 03:19 PM #1
Folders taking too long to load
Certain folders on my computer take forever to load after awhile. I've noticed that these are usually folders with a lot of files in them.

It's weird because when I restart my computer, these specific folders will load up fine for hours until for an unknown reason, they'll start taking minutes to load.

At first, I thought it was just my external hard drives which were acting up due to it being USB, however, I found out the other night that my program file folder on the C:/ drive took a long time to load, as well.

Even if I turn the external hard drive off, cool it off, then turn it back on, those particular folders will still take awhile to load.

I've also noticed that if one folder lags, then the others will lag around the same time.

My system:
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2002 SP2
Dual Core T2300 @ 1.66.GHZ
2GB of RAM
Intel Media Accelerator 945 integrated video card

I've attached a picture of what it looks like while it's loading just to be sure.
Attached Thumbnails
Folders taking too long to load-ss.jpg  
Member with 4,910 posts.

Experience: Advanced
26-Apr-2008, 11:13 PM #2
Which File Types Are Their In The Folders ? Pictures Or Videos ?
Computer Specs
Member with 979 posts.

27-Apr-2008, 12:53 AM #3
Another option...
Get ShellExView: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html
When you open it, double click on Type header, so you'll see all Context Menu entries together.
Disable all non-Micro$oft Context Menu entires, restart computer, and see, if it helped.
Computer Specs
Member with 8,450 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
27-Apr-2008, 03:38 AM #4
Look in Event Viewer/System and Application for related errors, especially disk errors.
Run chkdsk /r on the disk.
Member with 47 posts.

28-Apr-2008, 04:23 AM #5
The folder that I first noticed it on is composed of mainly video files. The other night, it happened to my program files folder. Usually, when the problem happens, I usually notice it first under the hard drive with the video files.

Under system in the event viewer, I do see a lot of disk related errors which says:

"An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk1\D during a paging operation."

Not sure if that's the problem I'm having but seems possible seeing how it's the only disk related error I see.

Broni, I don't see a Type header, did you mean File Type? If it is, I'm not sure how to tell a non-ms context menu from the ms ones because it doesn't say under File Type.

I'm not sure when the problem will happen again so I'll post again with the results when it does happen.
Computer Specs
Member with 8,450 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
28-Apr-2008, 04:39 AM #6
Run chkdsk /r
The disk may be failing, but chkdsk may fix it.
Member with 4,910 posts.

28-Apr-2008, 06:46 AM #7
Every time You Open A Folder Explorer Caches All The Media File .... Lets See if This Helps

Open My Computer > Go To Tools > Folder Options > View Tab > Check "Do Not Cache Thumbnails"
Member with 47 posts.

28-Apr-2008, 03:45 PM #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by devil_himself View Post
Every time You Open A Folder Explorer Caches All The Media File .... Lets See if This Helps

Open My Computer > Go To Tools > Folder Options > View Tab > Check "Do Not Cache Thumbnails"
Ok, it's set now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughv View Post
Run chkdsk /r
The disk may be failing, but chkdsk may fix it.
Ran chkdsk /r last night when I went to bed. It said it found 4 bad clusters and added them to the bad cluster file, not sure what that means, though.

Hopefully it doesn't happen again. I'll post again if it does. Thanks everyone
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!