Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

System Configuration Utility Error Message

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 84 posts.

02-May-2008, 02:35 PM #1
System Configuration Utility Error Message
This a.m. I was greeted by this System Configuration Utility message popup:

You have used the System Configuration Utility to make changes to the way Windows starts.

The System Configuration Utility is currently in Diagnostic or Selective Startup mode, causing this message to be displayed and the Utility to run every time Windows starts.

Choose the Normal Startup mode on the General tab to start Windows normally and undo the changes you made using the system Configuration Utility.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Yesterday I used the system configuration utility to untick a program in the Startup menu. Is that why I am getting this message now?

If I follow the directions and select the Normal Startup option, will all the services that I have painstakingly turned off over time start running on startup again? Or will it just load the one application it changed?

Could I restore the registry from a few days ago instead? And, if I do that, will the tracking cookies I finally got rid of by setting them to be deleted at start-up reappear?

Another question I have is, what is the utility used for, if not to make changes? Is it just to look at? What good is it then?

HP Pavilion - Pentium(R) 4CPU
160GB HDD 512 MB RAM
Windows XP SP2 Home
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
02-May-2008, 03:07 PM #2
Use msconfig for diagnostics. Use Startup Control Panel or Startup Control Panel (Exe version for Vista) and the services console to control startups. You can then run with msconfig in normal startup mode and will be warned if malware makes changes.
Computer Specs
Member with 84 posts.

02-May-2008, 04:10 PM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Writenow View Post
Yes, I will go and sin no more - BUT what shall I do right now?

Thanks.
You'll find plenty who disagree with me. You'll also find a number of threads with your problem or worse from making changes in msconfig. With all the great third-party startup managers available that have more options than msconfig, I see no reason not to use them. Though possible to dig a hole with your own spoon, I prefer somebody else's shovel.

Yes, I will go and sin no more - BUT what shall I do right now?

Thanks.

Last edited by Elvandil; 03-May-2008 at 08:58 PM..
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
03-May-2008, 08:55 PM #4
If you start msconfig and check the box in front for normal startup, the message should no longer appear. Is there a problem with doing that? Or has it been done and still the message?
Computer Specs
Member with 84 posts.

04-May-2008, 10:20 AM #5
I must repeat my original question. If I follow the directions and select the Normal Startup option, will all the services that I have painstakingly turned off over time - using Control Panel Applet - start running on startup again?

I won't reiterate further but ask a different question (not to imply I am not still hoping for an answer to the first one): Would it not suit my purpose just as well to select the option to not show the message again and not run the utility on start-up? If not, why not?

Thank you.
Computer Specs
Member with 6,927 posts.

Experience: Advanced
04-May-2008, 10:27 AM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Writenow View Post
Would it not suit my purpose just as well to select the option to not show the message again
Yes, you can just check 'Don't show this message again' and you're good to go.
Computer Specs
Member with 84 posts.

04-May-2008, 11:05 AM #7
Thank you very much, Distinguished Member.
Member with 3,202 posts.

04-May-2008, 12:09 PM #8
if you ever uncheck anything else later...you will get the same pop up when you first boot...just do the same thing...
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 55,517 posts.

04-May-2008, 03:02 PM #9
Writenow:

To add to and clarify Elvandil's first reply to you, the programs that load during startup and run in the background can also be controlled by editing the SERVICES list.

If a service is set to Automatic, it'll load and run all the time. If it's set to Manual, it'll load and run only when needed.

To access the SERVICES list, click Start - Run, type in SERVICES.MSC and then click OK.

This site will assist you in editing the SERVICES list.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 1,562 posts.

Experience: is the name we give our m
04-May-2008, 04:35 PM #10
if you disable this message your system will permanently boot in 'selective start up' ... which may not constitute a problem. however, MSCONFIG is a troubleshooting utility and not a startup manager.
Computer Specs
Member with 84 posts.

05-May-2008, 09:10 AM #11
Wink Thank You
Just wanted to thank all of you who answered my questions. My problem is resolved.

I will never use the System Configuration Utility for my own deviant purposes again.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!