Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Am I being spied upon??

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
07-May-2008, 11:15 AM #1
Am I being spied upon??
I'll have many more questions, I'm sure, but for now I'd like to know as quckly as possible; Is there any way to determine if someone, in my household, has installed any type of software that records, transmits to another computer, or in any way notifies someone else, of any and all activity on my main computer. I used to think that I knew a little bit about computers and the ways they could be hacked, etc. but I obviously do not know beans about this subject. So, is there any way that I can, on my own, determine if my computer is "bugged" locally.?? This probably sounds stupid but believe me it's got some heavy duty consequences riding on the outcome and what I can determine myself about what's going on here. Thanks very much in advance for whatever help may be forthcoming. Take Care.................Chall09426
CDATech CDATech is offline CDATech has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 492 posts.

Experience: Knower Of Nothing
07-May-2008, 11:24 AM #2
Well i'd check the back of computer to make sure no hardware has been attached to a PS/2 or USB port. Sometimes key-catchers are actually hardware devices. If you have administrative access to the pc I would download something like "Process Explorer".

http://www.download.com/Process-Expl...dlPid=10831768

Run that and see what's going on with the PC. Also HiJackThis is a great program too. That would analyze and report what was being run at startup.

http://www.download.com/Trend-Micro-...dlPid=10781312
Computer Specs
Member with 2,068 posts.

Experience: Advanced
07-May-2008, 01:54 PM #3
What you're referring to is called a Key Logger. It records keystrokes, chats, etc, and then sends the log files to an email address, FTP, or other. Most Key Loggers these days can be picked up by running a spyware scan, but it really depends on what software you're using. Some work better than others. Why do you suspect that someone in your own household is doing this to you??
Member with 443 posts.

Experience: Advanced
07-May-2008, 02:09 PM #4
What OS are you running?
Some programs will gather the data and send out a days worth all at once. What other computers are on your local network. If you know the names you can search the logs. If you are running Linux this task is a little easier. I'm not sure windows would even records the events you are after.

Is it files your are concerned about or chat logs or email etc?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!