Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Windows XP stuck at loading screen

(!)

Computer Specs
Account Disabled with 34 posts.

Experience: Pretty good knowledge
17-May-2008, 04:21 PM
Solved: Windows XP stuck at loading screen
My computer will not finish the startup process. Once it gets to the "Windows is starting up" screen, it stops. Normally after it finishes this, it goes to "Applying your personal settings", but it does not get that far.

-My system's information:

Gateway 420GR
Purchased on January 16, 2005.

-Background on my issue:
This issue started yesterday. I left my computer running through the night, and while I was at work. I have it scheduled to shut down every week day at noon, so that it has had a few hours to rest before I get home.
I first discovered the issue when I started up my computer earlier today.

-Things I have tried:

Performing a cold boot.
Waiting for it to load fully. I left it alone for an hour, and It did not finish loading.
Pressing f8 at startup screen, selecting "start using last good configuration". Did not change anything.
Pressing f8 at startup screen, selecting "start in safe mode". Also did not change anything

-Things I have not tried:

Using a boot disk. My computer does not have a floppy disk drive, and I do not know how to make a boot disk for a CD or USB memory device.

Wiping the hard disk. I do not know how to do this from outside of windows.
highspeed highspeed is offline highspeed has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 269 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
17-May-2008, 04:39 PM
Get a windows xp pro cd then when you boot up your computer, you would see an instruction like ''Press any key to boot from cd'' then press any key on the keyboard. then the win xp setup will load, press R to repair, when the repair page appears, you would see something like C:\ continue with this command ''chkdsk /r'' without the quotation marks. This repair process can take up to an hour or more. After this process is finished., type chkdsk /p and after this one also finishes, type exit to close the repair console and the computer will boot when it's booting when it prompts you to press any key to boot from cd, don't do anything until it loads to windows, then now you can take out your cd from the ROM.
Computer Specs

17-May-2008, 04:55 PM
I will try that. Thank you.
Computer Specs

24-May-2008, 01:13 PM
I ran checkdisk, didnt really fix anything. I ended up formatting my drives and reinstalling windows. It does run faster now, but I lost about three years worth of writing, including my resume. That made baby jesus cry.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
bios, loading, startup, stuck, winxp

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!

WELCOME
You Are Using: Server ID
Trusted Website Back to the Top ↑