Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Programs will not start even though desktop icons & start menu appear

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
05-Jun-2008, 08:02 AM #1
Programs will not start even though desktop icons & start menu appear
I have experienced a sudden problem starting programs. The computer boots correctly, and all desktop icons appear correctly. But when I double click a desktop icon, or start a program from the start menu, I get a popup window displaying a list of programs and asking me which program I want to use to start the application. I select the correct program (or browse to the appropriate .exe file), but still the application doesn't start. This includes IE and Windows Messenger. My virus scanner was about the only thing that I could start up, and I did a system scan with Panda Anti-Virus, but it didn't show anything substantial (just some cookies).Using my WinXP set up disk, I've tried to do a repair (I guess reinstallation without reformatting the hard disk), but after I entered the License Key, the computer did a reboot and then stopped. It is stuck on the XP splash screen and won't go any further (I once let it run over night, but it was still frozen on the splash screen). I even tried to repeat the repair process, but that didn't work.Automatic updates did download an update just before this problem started (I think it was the day before the problems began). I don't know what this update was and I'm not sure it was SP3 (system does have SP2 installed).Considering that the computer freezes now when booting up, is there anything that I can do short of reformatting the Hard Drive???? I also have another hard drive that I can use to install XP onto. Is there any way that I can rescue the data from the old Hard Drive and transfer to new drive? Thanks
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 2,461 posts.

05-Jun-2008, 10:04 AM #2
Mike, Go to the link below and scroll down to line 12 (left column) and click on "EXE (lnk and regfile) Fix for Windows XP" to download a reg file fix. Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it and answer yes to the import prompt.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

If you can't access the Internet use another computer to download it onto a floppy or CD and transfer it to the problem computer. If you can't run the file do the following:

Press CTRL-ALT-DEL and open Task Manager. Once there, click File, then hold down the CTRL key and click New Task (Run). This will open a Command Prompt window. Enter REGEDIT.EXE and press Enter. Once regedit is open click File>Import and locate that reg file fix, hilite it and click Open.

Tufenuf
Computer Specs

05-Jun-2008, 12:53 PM #3
Question There is still one problem to solution proposed
Thank you very much Tufenuf for the helpful reply, but there is one problem. I cannot reboot the computer. It freezes on the Windows XP splash screen. I've downloaded the file using another computer, and have it stored on a memory card (laptop doesn't have a floppy drive). Do you have any suggestion on how I can use this file on a stuck computer?? Thanks
Computer Specs

07-Jun-2008, 07:05 AM #4
Update to this situation
I would like to bring the thread up to date about this situation.

First, using the WinXP setup disk, I've tried to do a repair installation of XP (just copying system files without reformatting the hard drive). That resulted in a boot loop; the computer starts to boot up, but when the Win splash screen comes up, it just reboots again, and again. Next, I used the recovery console that comes with the WinXP setup disk and ran chkdsk /r, but that didn't resolve the situation. The boot loop is still there.

Now, I have installed a fresh version of WinXP onto a spare 20 gb hard drive that I have. The system works fine, and I've hooked the affected hard drive noted above to the computer as a slave drive. The drive works fine, and all the files and folders are available, and apparently undamaged.

So does anyone know how I can repair this drive and return it to its proper place as my boot C: drive??

Thanks for any help that anyone can provide.
Computer Specs
Member with 22,220 posts.

Experience: Advanced
07-Jun-2008, 11:24 AM #5
Run checkdisk from the Recovery Console:
http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/How-t...p-t131922.html
Senior Member with 730 posts.

Experience: Advanced
07-Jun-2008, 12:14 PM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 6221 View Post
I would like to bring the thread up to date about this situation.

First, using the WinXP setup disk, I've tried to do a repair installation of XP (just copying system files without reformatting the hard drive). That resulted in a boot loop; the computer starts to boot up, but when the Win splash screen comes up, it just reboots again, and again. Next, I used the recovery console that comes with the WinXP setup disk and ran chkdsk /r, but that didn't resolve the situation. The boot loop is still there.

Now, I have installed a fresh version of WinXP onto a spare 20 gb hard drive that I have. The system works fine, and I've hooked the affected hard drive noted above to the computer as a slave drive. The drive works fine, and all the files and folders are available, and apparently undamaged.

So does anyone know how I can repair this drive and return it to its proper place as my boot C: drive??

Thanks for any help that anyone can provide.
Back up the data and do a clean install on the bad install?
Computer Specs

10-Jun-2008, 12:37 AM #7
I think I've tried everything but still not working
Thank you to everyone who has replied. However, I have tried everyone but Iam still in the boot loop. I have tried the steps outlined by Mark to repair the registry, and I have tried to copy the files in my System32 folder from a hard drive that is working well to the damaged drive. Yes, I ran checkdisk from the Recovery Console, and tried several other things using the installation disk. Nothing works. I still have the boot loop.

I just want to check to see if there is anything else to try. Do I need to
replace this drive with a new one? What I can't understand is that this
drive is still working to the extent that I can view all documents as folders
(when connected as a slave) although I can't start any programs or
applications from it, except pictures. So is the drive itself damaged or is
it the system files that are on the drive damaged?

Any additional thoughts???
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!