Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: chkdsk won't complete checking,stalls.

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 160 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
09-Jun-2008, 05:12 PM #1
Unhappy Solved: chkdsk won't complete checking,stalls.
I had to restart my PC due to a "freeze" and since have been getting the chkdsk option at the start-up. I can bypass the chkdsk but cannot do any disk defrag until the chkdsk has completed all the tests. It always stalls at the same point (attached .jpg) even after 14 hours of waiting.
The cmd test of "fsutil dirty query c:" does come back and show that "c is dirty" (attached .jpg. It looks like I can't get rid of the "dirty" bit until the chkdsk completes but it doesn't.
I've also tried to restore to an early time but it won't allow that process either. It seems to be a catch-22 or I'm stuck in a time warp.
Is there another process to be used to get rid of the "dirty" bit or some software program that will do a fix?
Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Solved: chkdsk won't complete checking,stalls.-chkdsk-screen.jpg   Solved: chkdsk won't complete checking,stalls.-chkdsk.jpg  
Computer Specs
Member with 3,731 posts.

09-Jun-2008, 06:36 PM #2
Try chkdsk /r
Computer Specs
Member with 160 posts.

09-Jun-2008, 08:28 PM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
Try chkdsk /r
Tried and got the same result, it says chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process...(attachment)
Attached Thumbnails
Solved: chkdsk won't complete checking,stalls.-chkdsk-r.jpg  
Member with 1,639 posts.

09-Jun-2008, 10:23 PM #4
enter safe mode startup run the hdd system chkdsk again

john..
Member with 1,639 posts.

09-Jun-2008, 10:35 PM #5
download hdd tools for the make of hdd in the machine run those to check hdd
Computer Specs
Member with 3,731 posts.

10-Jun-2008, 05:13 PM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikespeakbob View Post
Tried and got the same result, it says chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process...(attachment)
Did you type "y" (without quotes) and then reboot?
Computer Specs
Member with 160 posts.

10-Jun-2008, 06:23 PM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
Did you type "y" (without quotes) and then reboot?
Yep, still get "the volume is in use by another..."

I'm letting the chkdsk run it's course now on my desktop (500Gb Western Digital SATA) and it looks like it's going to stall again at the same place (see attachment in original message).

Just to compare I ran the chkdsk on my laptop and the "fsutil dirty query c:" came back as NOT dirty (as expected) but when I tried to use "chkdsk C:/f/x" it also came back as "the volume is in use by another...", perhaps this is normal for a working PC.with no chkdsk problem.
Computer Specs
Member with 160 posts.

11-Jun-2008, 12:26 AM #8
As expected, the normal chkdsk at start-up stalled in the usual place after a few hours, sooooo, the following was done for the fix:

1. Downloaded and ran the Western Digital Data Lifeguard Diagnostics for Windows. The Extended Test did find a file(s) that were in need of repair and I had the program do the repair process and it then tested clean.

2. Ran chkdsk from the CMD command and entered "fsutil dirty query c:" (without quotes), the answer was still that the volume was dirty (I believe this was to be expected before I did step 3).

3. After the volume was found still dirty I then entered "chkdsk c:/f/x" (without quotes) and got the same old response that the "chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? <Y/N>". I entered Y and had the system restart and chkdsk started and completed the process with no problem. I then did step 2 again and the volume was found to be NOT dirty. I am now able to do the normal defrag without problems.

Thanks again for your help and responses and I'll mark this case solved.
Computer Specs
Member with 9,028 posts.

11-Jun-2008, 04:52 AM #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikespeakbob View Post
Just to compare I ran the chkdsk on my laptop and the "fsutil dirty query c:" came back as NOT dirty (as expected) but when I tried to use "chkdsk C:/f/x" it also came back as "the volume is in use by another...", perhaps this is normal for a working PC.with no chkdsk problem.
This is normal, assuming C: is where Windows is installed, it will always say the volume is in use, as will any drive with an active pagefile. And you can't force a dismount, you have to exit windows, thus the reboot.

I've seen chkdsk take over 24 hours to run, but the percent complete for each stage would slowly increase. If you were getting the same errors each time you ran it, especially if using the /R switch, then it was something chkdsk couldn't fix. Glad the Western Digital Data Lifeguard Diagnostics got it going for you, good info for others.

Jerry
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
chkdsk stalls, hdd errors

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!