Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Registry cleaner messed my computer up

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 12 posts.

Experience: Beginner
20-Jun-2008, 08:31 PM #1
Registry cleaner messed my computer up
Hi,

This is my first post, and I am a beginner, so please bear with me. Here is info about my computer:

Dell Dimension 4400
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 2002, Service Pack 2
Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.70GHz
384 Mb of Ram

OK, the other day I was working, trying to free up some space on my computer. I used a variety of programs that messed with the registry, deleted "Unnecessary files", & made other changes to supposedly help my computer. I suspect that one of them has caused all this trouble. Or maybe more than one of them.

Now I have so many problems -

Help & Support Center - when I click it, nothing happens, sometimes I got a message saying something about a service not running.

System Restore - when I try to use it, I just get a window that says System Restore, but it is just a blank white window.

Opera, Firefox - Many of the sites I try to use say that some script is not working.

My Computer - It takes forever to come up, and when it does it shows the flashlight searching for a long time. Then when it finds it, it looks different than it used to.

I tried to install a program and got a message that said I might not have the latest MDAC and JET drivers installed.

Now more bad news. I don't have the discs that came with the computer, because I let someone borrow them, and I can't get them back.

I would appreciate any help I can get. My roommate is going to kill me if I can't get this fixed.

Thank you for any help!
Senior Member with 1,649 posts.

20-Jun-2008, 08:52 PM #2
The first thing you can try is to go to the Windows Update and download Service Pack 3. That might fix some of the problems related to Help & Support Center and My Computer and others. You may still have to turn that service on however by going to the Start button\Run and typing in "services.msc" without the quotes. If Help and Support is disabled change it to Automatic then start it.

With Opera and Firefox do you have the error message you're getting? It could be a matter of re-installing the browsers but it would be a good idea to see the message.
Computer Specs
Member with 22,220 posts.

Experience: Advanced
20-Jun-2008, 09:48 PM #3
I wouldn't be installing Sp3, it has nothing to do with registry errors. You most likely will wind up reformatting and reinstalling Windows and you should learn, registry Cleaners cannot help you. All they can do is destroy the operating system.
Try the XP repair:
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
Computer Specs
Gone but never forgotten with 6,782 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
21-Jun-2008, 08:12 AM #4
Detailed info as to why Registry 'cleaners' can be "bad news."

Advice and Info re Registry 'cleaners'- excerpts from TSG, 10-07

The main reason they are apt to cause problems is because the cleaners do NOT just clean up stuff left over from uninstalls. They also "guess" that other items need to be deleted, many times incorrectly. They also attempt to "fix" references to files that no longer exist.

As a result, you can end up with programs that no longer work, functions that no longer work and in some cases a PC that will no longer boot.

There is no performance gains to be had by running these things. Windows does not read the entire registry when it is looking for something. It uses the keys which allow them to go straight to the item that they are looking for.

References:
http://www.edbott.com/weblog/?p=643
http://www.computerhope.com/registry.htm

If you really want to see how active the registry is in your normal running environment, download and run Regmon.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-ca/s.../bb896652.aspx

As you will see, the registry is constantly being accessed. If, for each of these, the entire file was being searched, your PC would be amazingly slow and not responsive.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Sorry I am unable to cite and give credit to the authors.

{redoak}
Computer Specs
Account Disabled with 303 posts.

Experience: Advanced
21-Jun-2008, 10:53 AM #5
Some registry "cleaners" are more sophisticated than others. What cleaner did you use?

Visit http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm if possible.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!