Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Cannot change target location of MyDocuments

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
27-Jun-2008, 08:49 PM #1
Cannot change target location of MyDocuments
This one is VERY weird. Whenever I try to save a document to MyDocuments on computer 1, the file is saved instead to another computer on my home network. If I right click on MyDocuments/Properties, the target location on the Target tab is shown correctly (C:\Documents and Settings\my name\My Documents) and is editable. But on the General tab the target is shown as \\my other computer\my documents and it can't be changed. What is going on here? I never made this change, wouldn't even know how. Nothing I do in the editable box on the Target tab affects what is shown on the General tab or the fact that all files are sent to my other computer. How do I get rid of this?
Dan Penny Dan Penny is offline Dan Penny has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 523 posts.

28-Jun-2008, 01:13 AM #2
Open regedit. Start, Run, regedit.

Click the + signs to expand and navigate your way down to

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders.

In the right hand pane, is the correct path shown for the Personal key? (It may show %USERPROFILE%\My Documents instead, which would also be correct.)

If it isn't correct, double click on the Personal key. Enter either the full path, or enter %USERPROFILE%\My Documents instead.
Computer Specs

28-Jun-2008, 01:42 AM #3
Yep, it has %USERPROFILE%\My Documents.

After writing an initial reply to your message, I opened the properties window again and this time I did what didn't occur to me before because the correct path was already in text box: I clicked on "Restore defaults" but wrong path did not change in General tab window. If I do that on my other computer, I can switch to General tab and watch it change. Something is preventing the system from changing on the affected computer.

Last edited by cybercrone; 28-Jun-2008 at 02:07 AM..
Computer Specs
Member with 523 posts.

30-Jun-2008, 10:20 AM #4
As I don't have a home network, I'm sort of shooting in the dark here.

Look in the corresponding registry keys under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, which may be where the problem lies.
Computer Specs

30-Jun-2008, 03:43 PM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Penny View Post
As I don't have a home network, I'm sort of shooting in the dark here.

Look in the corresponding registry keys under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, which may be where the problem lies.
Here's how i solved the problem, Dan: I moved all the files from My Documents to a new folder Documents. Then in properties for My Documents (which is now empty), I set target in text box on first tab to path\Documents instead of My Documents. When I did this the target path to other computer on the General tab disappeared. General tab doesn't show any target at all now, don't know why it did in the first place.

The move is transparent. My Documents still shows where and how it always has and clicking on it just opens Documents instead.

The rule is, if you can't figure out the right way to solve a problem, solve it any ol' way you can.

Computer Specs
Member with 523 posts.

30-Jun-2008, 04:05 PM #6
Outstanding and good thinking. Well done.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
my documents, target location

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!