Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Task Scheduler Missing from Services

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
13-Jul-2008, 01:12 PM #1
Solved: Task Scheduler Missing from Services
Task scheduler does not appear in the services list. I am logged in under the administrator account and am using Windows XP Professional. Every time I try to start the task scheduler in control panel -> scheduled tasks it says 'Unable to start'. When I try to view the properties of a scheduled task I get error: 0x80041315 (This is a picture of the error http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/1...ererrorox5.png) I reinstalled Windows Internet Explorer 7 but it still does not appear in the services list. I also used System file checker but it didn't fix it either. I also have read this webpage ( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223170 ) but it does not help since I do not have Task Scheduler listed in the services list. I really don't want to reinstall windows xp...is there some way I can get the Task Scheduler working again? (Also I've selected the Notify of missed tasks option but that doesn't seem to work either)
Computer Specs
Member with 45,855 posts.

Experience: I know when to fold em'
13-Jul-2008, 01:37 PM #2
Task Scheduler is not present in services.msc?

Run regedit and see if the key below is present:

Quote:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Schedule
If not try downloading, unzipping and running the registry data from my Xp system. It should merge to the registry, and hopefully on reboot, "Task Scheduler" should be present in the services list.

You can try the merge even if you do find "Scheduler" present -- as there may be some missing or damaged data.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Task Scheduler.zip (1.0 KB, 1342 views)
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
13-Jul-2008, 02:28 PM #3
Thanks, I didn't have that registry key in there. Task Scheduler is working again.
Computer Specs
Member with 45,855 posts.

Experience: I know when to fold em'
13-Jul-2008, 06:35 PM #4
Sheesh, makes you wonder what happened to it.

You might check your event viewer (run: eventvwr.msc) and look for errors which could indicate disk corruption in the System log (NTFS).

But glad to hear that sorted it for you.

You're most welcome for the help.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!