Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Taskbar missing, can't copy & paste.. more inside.

(!)

Junior Member with 8 posts.

15-Jul-2008, 02:11 PM #1
Taskbar missing, can't copy & paste.. more inside.
I'm running Windows XP on a Dell Inspiron e1505 laptop.

Booted up my computer yesterday and I am experiencing these problems:

• Bootup is extremely slow.. after initial Windows load screen, it takes forever to bring up my account name so I can type in my password, after that it seems to boot at a normal rate
  • Taskbar is missing, CTRL+ESC doesn't make it show up and the start menu is inaccessible
  • I can still run some programs by going into the Program Files folders... but most are unable to open.
  • Programs running can be minimized and switched between by using ALT+TAB but as the taskbar is missing, they can't be seen when minimized
  • Cannot copy & paste any sort of file or text, the only way to "move" a file is to open the file then "Save As.." in another location. Also, no files can be dragged anywhere, not even within the same folder
  • External speakers do not work, error sounds come from the internal speaker as a loud "BEEP"
I've tried Google-ing solutions to this and I am having a really hard time finding anything that will help.. and I was hoping someone here could assist me. Trend Micro hadn't found anything recently but now that this is happening, I can't get the program to open or run at all.

Please help!!
Thanks.

P.S.: I was working on removing ssqrs.dll from my registry before all of this happened but I backed up the registry and it's still doing this. I'm hoping I didn't roach my computer I'm even open to formatting my computer but I would like to get some files still on my computer off onto my external hard drive without having to "Save As.." everything..
Computer Specs
Member with 1,756 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
15-Jul-2008, 03:32 PM #2
Here are some BIOS beep codes you may want to check out:

http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

You may want to download the Dell diagnostic utility:

http://support.dell.com/support/down...WW1&hidlang=en

You can also check to see if you have the latest BIOS update:

http://support.dell.com/support/down...WW1&hidlang=en

15-Jul-2008, 11:53 PM #3
I updated my BIOS - whether or not it needed it - and it didn't seem to do much of anything >_<

Running the diagnostic right now, but I'm not planning on it fixing anything

Here's an error the diagnostic found:
  • Error Code: 0F00:0244
    • Msg: DISK_0 - Block: 932061: Uncorrectable data error or media is write protected
There are a lot more errors of the same code in many different blocks in this area (I'm still writing the block numbers down).

Ugh I hate my computer.. lol.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,756 posts.

16-Jul-2008, 12:43 AM #4
Looks like your hdd is giving up the ghost. You may want to get another hdd and transfer files from the old hdd to the new or at least backup everything you can from the problem hard drive to cd/dvd.

16-Jul-2008, 09:05 PM #5
I would just move everything off of it and start over, but I can't copy files or drag & drop anything.. and I don't want to lose everything on my computer. Most of my files are already backed up onto another drive but there's still quite a bit that I don't have backups of.

Any suggestions? :/

Also, does this mean the hard drive I'm using right now is basically garbage at this point?

16-Jul-2008, 09:49 PM #6
Oooooooohhhhh nevermind!

WinRAR works beautifully right now so I can bundle all of my files into .rar files and can extract them to my external HD.

Some good news at least, heh.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,756 posts.

16-Jul-2008, 09:55 PM #7
One way to retrieve the files from the problem hdd is to take out the hdd and place it, as a slave drive by setting the jumpers to slave, in a system that is working.

I had a similar problem where my primary hdd was going to the dogs. Took it out, set the jumpers to slave, placed it in my daughter's PC (making sure that her drive was set to primary master), copied important files from the slave to the primary master. I then burned these files to dvd and copied them from the dvd to the new drive I obtained for my PC.

Don't think your hdd is toast quite yet but I would see if you can do the slave trick and copy files from it ASAP.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,756 posts.

16-Jul-2008, 09:58 PM #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billicus View Post
Oooooooohhhhh nevermind!

WinRAR works beautifully right now so I can bundle all of my files into .rar files and can extract them to my external HD.

Some good news at least, heh.
Heck, didn't see this post before I submitted my last. That is good news. Better than doing the slave routine.

16-Jul-2008, 11:33 PM #9
Well now that I've got all of my files safely off my computer, I'm stuck with my computer still doing what it's been doing.

This is exactly what I did the other day:

I created a backup of the registry (at least I'm pretty sure I did), then I went into "regedit" and then deleted all the file associations to "ssqrs.dll" There were only maybe a dozen or so things I deleted. Restarted my computer and the symptoms all started. I've ran a few different spyware/adware/malware/AV removal tools, and they did find stuff to get rid of but they didn't fix the problem. I've also tried different registry repair tools, but they seem to just clean, and not search for errors or redirect whatever it was I messed up...

I don't know what else to do from here - any suggestions?
Computer Specs
Member with 1,756 posts.

17-Jul-2008, 01:32 AM #10
Dell has a recovery partition. Now that you have all your files off the hdd you could do a system restore by pressing ctrl + F11 at boot.

Quote from Dell:

"There is a hidden restore partition on your hard drive that is factory loaded here at Dell. To access this hidden partition just turn on the notebook and press and hold the Ctrl key and tap on F11. You may miss the time window so if you see the "loading windows" screen, turn off the PC and try again. Once the partition is activated just follow the prompts and after a few minutes you will have the factory image on the drive."

17-Jul-2008, 12:39 PM #11
Now that you bring that up, I do remember having done that once before to repair this Hard Drive, but now that I'm trying to hit CTRL+F11 it's not bringing up Ghost. I still have the backup image saved from a long time ago but I can't get the bootup program to start so I can restore it to that point... hrmmmm...

17-Jul-2008, 02:38 PM #12
Alright, well I reinstalled Windows and now it works great! Everything is functioning correctly, but now I need to reinstall all of my drivers on the computer I can't even connect to the internet yet on it >_<

Downloading stuff from Dell's site right now hoping that will move this along...

17-Jul-2008, 03:06 PM #13
"An error occurred while unzipping. One or more files were not successfully unzipped. The error code is 150."

This pops up every time I try to install any sort of driver: chipset, audio, video, wireless...

So now I'm stuck again, lol.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
can't copy & paste, slow boot, taskbar missing

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!