Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Wrong registry filters deleted - Mouse and Keyboard won't work!

(!)

Junior Member with 2 posts.

21-Jul-2008, 02:55 PM #1
Exclamation Wrong registry filters deleted - Mouse and Keyboard won't work!
I made a stupid mistake and now I'm eating it.

My computer wasn't recognizing my CD-RW drive, so I opened up 'regedit' to delete the upper and lower filters from the drive. Well, I deleted the wrong filters. The next time Windows loaded up, it failed to recognize the mouse and the keyboard (!!!). So I basically have a paralyzed computer - I can't do anything with it. I know that reinstalling Windows would solve the problem, but I'm looking for a way to take care of this without losing all of my files. I know it's possible - I've been on the phone with a few different tech places. They all tell me it's too complicated to do over the phone, bring it in and they'll have it taken care of. They're running a business so I know why they're really telling me that.

Plain and simple, I would love to take it somewhere and have somebody else do it, but I don't have anything to pay them with. So I've got to figure out a way to break my computer out its mouse\keyboard coma.

Any help would appreciated.
Junior Member with 7 posts.

21-Jul-2008, 03:07 PM #2
All i can think of is System Restore, but you have no keyboard, etc. Also, ss it the same in Safe Mode, it probably wont be any different but worth a try.
Junior Member with 2 posts.

21-Jul-2008, 03:33 PM #3
Thanks for your reply.

The mouse and keyboard do work BEFORE windows is loaded. It seems to be a problem within windows. I can run, for example, the Windows XP Recovery Mode and can type when the prompt comes up.

However, even with regular safe mode the mouse and keyboard are not working. It seems to be a problem with windows recognizing the devices as even being installed. It's like if a brain weren't aware that its body had arms and legs. It's there, it just can't seem to communicate with them.

Is there something I can do in the Windows System Restore, when it seems to drop off into a prompt screen (reminds me of DOS)...

If these might be helpful, here were some of the other options that were listed in the menu that pops up when you press F8 to get into safe mode. Don't know what they do, though.

enable boot logging
enable vga mode
last known good configuration (your most recent settings that worked)
directory services restore mode (windows domain controllers only)
debugging mode
disable automatic restart on system failure

anyway, I'm still pluggin away at ideas. I appreciate your reply.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor - Gone but never forgotten with 8,684 posts.

21-Jul-2008, 03:45 PM #4
I'd give "last known good configuration (your most recent settings that worked)" a shot.
Junior Member with 7 posts.

21-Jul-2008, 03:45 PM #5
So you can get Command Prompt working?
Senior Member with 1,226 posts.

21-Jul-2008, 05:52 PM #6
Maybe a Repair Re-Install?

Quote:
A Repair Install will replace the system files with the files on the XP CD used for the Repair Install. It will leave your applications and settings intact, but Windows updates will need to be reapplied.
(You should have use of your keyboard, etc... as you'll be running off the CD)
Email This Email  Print This Print  Bookmark This Bookmark  Tweet This Send to Facebook Send to MySpace Send to StumbleUpon Digg This | More Services More
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
filters, keyboard, mouse, windows 2000

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!