Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

streaming very slow and gets stuck

(!)

Junior Member with 28 posts.

29-Jul-2008, 04:28 PM #1
streaming very slow and gets stuck
hi, everytime i watch a video, (youtube, realplayer, quicktime player, ect) it gets stuck like every second and plays and gets stuck....it never plays smoothly.......any pointers?
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 242 posts.

Experience: Mid-Intermediate
29-Jul-2008, 05:05 PM #2
Hello!

Some Possible Causes

Your internet service.
Spyware that is slowing down your internet connection.
Settings that could be making your internet slow.

One of the above is most likely one of the culprits. Some questions that you need to answer so I can diagnose the problem more specifically would be :
1. Do you have dial-up service or higher?
2. How long has the problem lasted?
3. Is your computer's performance slower than normal?

29-Jul-2008, 05:35 PM #3
hi.....i've got high speed, not sure, but pretty much many months, but it's getting to annoy me....my over all computer performance is good......it's fast and stuff....it's only when watching a movie or video.....when it gets stuck...my whole computer gets stuck........but ones it starts again...my computer behaves normal....but 2 seconds later it gets stuck again.......i remmeber that once it used to work normal.........im not sure if i accidently pressed some settings or something......i remmeber a long time ago i had problems loading my IE .....but cant remmeber if it was after that that it got slow while watching videos...
Computer Specs

29-Jul-2008, 06:52 PM #4
Well, to wipe that slate clean and try to fix this problem we will go through a list of instructions.

1. First off, go to https://www.superantispyware.com
A.Download Free Home User Edition
B.Open Up Program Once Downloaded
C.Click on Scan Your Computer
D.Now On This Page Make Sure the full system scan is checked off
E.Remove all threats once scan is finished. Scan may take a couple of hours so be patient.
F.Reboot(if prompted)

*note* This will get rid of any spyware that might currently be on your computer slowing down internet performance.

2. After this scan, we are going to get rid of all those unnessecary temporary files stored on your computer from the internet.

Go to Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Disk Cleanup

It will now scan for unnecessary files Once finished check off these boxes Only

Temporary Internet Files
Offline Pages
Temporary Files

3.Click "Ok" *It will now delete those files*
4. Download latest Flash plugin. Yours may not be up to date. http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/

5.Now open up Internet Explorer
6.Go to tools>Internet Options>Delete Browsing History>Delete All *Just another delete of any temporary files that were left behind.*

Play a youtube video now. If problem still persists, post a reply.

Last edited by Mega Tron; 29-Jul-2008 at 07:01 PM.. Reason: needed to add another instruction

30-Jul-2008, 08:16 PM #5
hi!!....i did everything, i did have some spyware.....and deleted all the files and all.........youtube seems to work fine........but when i watch videos on realplayer or quicktime player....things get slow,......do you think it could be my laptop heating up?.......but then again, there was a time when i could watch videos smoothly no matter what.......
Computer Specs

30-Jul-2008, 08:43 PM #6
So now it is quicktime and realplayer only?? If it is, update both programs in case of any bugs in previous versions. Make sure they are up-to-date. If you want to completely uninstall and install newest version, then go to Start>Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs.

Uninstall both. Restart computer. Then, once computer has restarted, go to My Computer>C:>Program Files. Delete the left-over folders from the programs: Quicktime and Realplayer folders. Now go to their website for latest download.

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/player/

http://www.real.com/ *note* A lot of people have had problems with real player and using another program or just Windows Media Player is probably you're best bet.

After you've either done a clean uninstall/new install of the programs or just updated go to this link.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=24382

It will tell you instructions to get the best performance out of quicktime player.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!