Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Lagging screen when scrolling/ moving windows

(!)

Junior Member with 17 posts.

04-Aug-2008, 11:45 AM #1
Lagging screen when scrolling/ moving windows
Hello,

There was recently a power surge in my nieghborhood and it effected my computer. My hard drive and internet card were fried completely. When I disassembled my computer we found that the heating fan on my graphics card had broken, keep in mine the graphics card had worked perfectly fine. Also i do not use any games on my computer so the card does not undergo vigorous use. We bought the new parts and i restarted the brandnew clean hard drive and i went on the internet and did a search on google to find that when i scrolled down it moved in bars rather than a smooth flowing motion and when i minimized the screen and moved it around it lagged around quite a bit. I am afraid i do not know how to figure what kind of graphics card i have, if someone could tell me how i'd appreciate it. i have service pack 3 installed as well. i was wondering how i could fix this lagging problem?

this is my logfile from hijack this

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 12:44:38 PM, on 8/4/2008
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP3 (6.00.2900.5512)
Boot mode: Normal
Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\aawservice.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\FRISK Software\F-PROT Antivirus for Windows\FPAVServer.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Common\ViewpointService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Dell Photo AIO Printer 962\dlbxmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
C:\Program Files\FRISK Software\F-PROT Antivirus for Windows\FProtTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\AIM6\aim6.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dlbxcoms.exe
C:\Program Files\AIM6\aolsoftware.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\mmc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\taskmgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe
O2 - BHO: DriveLetterAccess - {5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswshx.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dlbxmon.exe] "C:\Program Files\Dell Photo AIO Printer 962\dlbxmon.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dla] C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [F-PROT Antivirus Tray application] C:\Program Files\FRISK Software\F-PROT Antivirus for Windows\FProtTray.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Aim6] "C:\Program Files\AIM6\aim6.exe" /d locale=en-US ee://aol/imApp
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O23 - Service: Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service (aawservice) - Lavasoft - C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\aawservice.exe
O23 - Service: dlbx_device - Dell - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dlbxcoms.exe
O23 - Service: F-PROT Antivirus for Windows system (FPAVServer) - FRISK Software International - C:\Program Files\FRISK Software\F-PROT Antivirus for Windows\FPAVServer.exe
O23 - Service: Viewpoint Manager Service - Viewpoint Corporation - C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Common\ViewpointService.exe
--
End of file - 3035 bytes

thank you
JJ
Bloodbadge Bloodbadge is offline Bloodbadge has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 34 posts.

Experience: Advanced
04-Aug-2008, 11:54 AM #2
Hi, jjloudmouth.

My first thought to this was, "out-of-date graphics drivers".
SO. Let's start by finding out what graphics/video card you are using.

1. Go onto Control Panel > (check in the top left that it is set to Classic View), go to System > select Hardware Tab, then click Device Manager.
2. You will now have a screen open, listing all of the hardware devices installed on your system. Find and click the 'Display Adapters' category, and this will tell you what graphics card is installed on your computer hopefully, (tell me this information, including the exact model version listed).

With this information, I will hopefully find you the most up to date drivers for your graphics card =)

04-Aug-2008, 01:43 PM #3
i can't locate the display adapters tab, it is missing from my device manager window however my card is a

Graphics Processor Properties: Video Adapter nVIDIA GeForce 6800 PCI-E GPU Code Name NV41 (PCI Express x16 10DE / 00C1, Rev A2) GPU Clock 324 MHz Memory Clock 299 MHz
is that what you were looking for?
Computer Specs
Member with 34 posts.

04-Aug-2008, 01:51 PM #4
OK.
Try downloading and installing these drivers: http://www.nodevice.com/driver/GeFor.../get37231.html

It will require your computer to restart. Accept.
Please let me know if this fixes your problem =)

04-Aug-2008, 01:58 PM #5
i have to ask what exactly is this doing beforei do it
Computer Specs
Member with 34 posts.

04-Aug-2008, 02:16 PM #6
They are the drivers for the NVIDIA GeForce 6800 graphics card.
They should install the required drivers for your card, and eliminate the problems you're having with the lag when dragging windows, etc...

04-Aug-2008, 03:50 PM #7
well it looks like that fixed it. i appreciate your help but can i ask for some help with my speakers now? do i need specific cds to install the speakers?
Computer Specs
Member with 34 posts.

04-Aug-2008, 03:56 PM #8
Ah, I'm glad =)
Same procedure...if you try and find out what sound card is in your computer, I will try and locate the correct drivers to fix the problem.

04-Aug-2008, 04:16 PM #9
DirectX Sound [ Primary Sound Driver ] DirectSound Device Properties: Device Description Primary Sound Driver

is that my sound cards name? i'm not really sure it pretty obvious with the graphics card

04-Aug-2008, 09:44 PM #10
PCI / PnP Audio Device Description Type Intel 82801FB ICH6 - AC'97 Audio Controller [B-1] PCI

actually thats my sound card sorry
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!