Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

IDE disk S/N read test and IDE disk S/N Verify test FAIL

(!)

Junior Member with 7 posts.

04-Aug-2008, 07:55 PM #1
IDE disk S/N read test and IDE disk S/N Verify test FAIL
I ran a diagnostic test on my computer because I am unable to boot my operating system. When I start the computer, I get the CNTRL ALT DEL screen and then the password screen but from there I get a dialog box that states "the procedure entry point CoRegisterInitializeSpy could not be located in the dynamic link library ole32.dll" and a blank desktop. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
Computer Specs
Member with 868 posts.

Experience: Advanced
04-Aug-2008, 09:39 PM #2
Do you have your XP installation CD's? Reinstalling would probably be the easiest thing to do. You could also try booting into safe mode and fixing it yourself. Restart your computer and keep tapping F8, then choose Safe Mode from the menu. Tell me if you can login.

05-Aug-2008, 07:49 AM #3
The two problems are - I don't have an XP disc and it does the same thing in safe mode. The only thing I can do is get to the task manager and run things thru that. Is there any way to go thru the task manager or suggestions on where to get an XP disc?
Computer Specs
Member with 868 posts.

05-Aug-2008, 04:34 PM #4
According to this thread, it's a problem with Internet Explorer. Try uninstalling it.

05-Aug-2008, 04:36 PM #5
Yes, the original problem was only the inability to use IE7...I did as you suggest and uninstalled it and now I am unable to boot the operating system.
Computer Specs
Member with 868 posts.

05-Aug-2008, 05:09 PM #6
Oh, I didn't realize that you created that thread.

I didn't really understand your problem before. You were explaining your previous error, not the current one. I thought you could still boot Windows. Can you post your whole current error, not just one section of it, and can you elaborate on your current error, not the one that you were previously receiving.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!