Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Icons On Desktop Not Responding

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 1,226 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
20-Aug-2008, 06:53 AM #1
Exclamation Solved: Icons On Desktop Not Responding
Hi everyone. I have a number of icons on my Windows XP Professional desktop screen. Well, I just restarted the computer and since I restarted, the icons of the desktop do not respond to double clicking as they are supposed to. I gave the computer a few minutes for it to try to load the program but the hard drive doesn't even spin like it normally does when I double click an icon on the desktop. I am going to try restarting my computer and see if that fixes the problem but if it doesn't, I'd like to know some solutions to fix my problem. Please help!
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 2,461 posts.

20-Aug-2008, 07:38 AM #2
Holly, Try the "LNK (Shortcut) File Association Fix" at the link below which has instructions for running the reg file fix.

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

Tufenuf
Computer Specs
Member with 1,226 posts.

20-Aug-2008, 07:44 AM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tufenuf View Post
Holly, Try the "LNK (Shortcut) File Association Fix" at the link below which has instructions for running the reg file fix.

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

Tufenuf
Thanks for helping but unfortunately this fix did nothing to solve my problem.
Computer Specs

20-Aug-2008, 08:04 AM #4
Holly, Are those Desktop Icons that aren't working Shortcuts (right click and choose Properites)? Try the following:

Go to the link below and scroll down to line 12 (left column) and click on "EXE (lnk and regfile) Fix for Windows XP" to download a reg file fix. Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it and answer yes to the import prompt.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Tufenuf
Computer Specs
Member with 1,226 posts.

20-Aug-2008, 08:07 AM #5
Quote:
Holly, Are those Desktop Icons that aren't working Shortcuts (right click and choose Properites)? Try the following:

Go to the link below and scroll down to line 12 (left column) and click on "EXE (lnk and regfile) Fix for Windows XP" to download a reg file fix. Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it and answer yes to the import prompt.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Tufenuf
Tufenuf, NONE of the icons on my desktop work including shortcuts, folders, and other icons such as the My Computer icon. I can't even right click on them to view their properties. Anyway, I'll try the fix you just showed me and get back to you.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,226 posts.

20-Aug-2008, 08:11 AM #6
Ok Tufenuf, I am not sure how to download and install the file. I clicked on the file but it simply brought me to a page with a bunch of registry stuff on it. Please help! By the way, I'm using Firefox 3.0.
Computer Specs

20-Aug-2008, 08:18 AM #7
Holly, Just for this time switch to Internet Explorer, go to that link and right click on "EXE (lnk and regfile) Fix for Windows XP", choose "Save target as" and save it somewhere like your "My Documents" folder. Now double click on that reg file or right click it and choose "merge" and the contents should be merged into the registry.

Tufenuf
Computer Specs
Member with 1,226 posts.

20-Aug-2008, 08:24 AM #8
Quote:
Holly, Just for this time switch to Internet Explorer, go to that link and right click on "EXE (lnk and regfile) Fix for Windows XP", choose "Save target as" and save it somewhere like your "My Documents" folder. Now double click on that reg file or right click it and choose "merge" and the contents should be merged into the registry.

Tufenuf
Ok, I tried the fix, icons still are not working.
Computer Specs

20-Aug-2008, 08:31 AM #9
Holly, Go into your "Control Panel" and open the "Display" applet. Under the "Desktop" tab click the "Customize Desktop" button, under the "Web" tab uncheck everything including "My current Homepage" and "Lock Desktop Items", click OK/Apply/OK.

Tufenuf
Computer Specs
Member with 1,226 posts.

20-Aug-2008, 09:46 PM #10
Ok, I forgot to say that the other day I had to do a repair install on Windows XP Professional. This uninstalled Service pack 2. I don't yet have Service Pack 3 (ordered the CD for it today though so I don't have to download it on a dial up connection). Anyway, I reinstalled Service Pack 2 today from a CD and it solved my problem so I am now going to mark this thread solved. Thanks for your help!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!