Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

computer restarts before i can login!

(!)

Junior Member with 7 posts.

29-Aug-2008, 12:38 PM #1
computer restarts before i can login!
whenever i turn my computer on, it loads as normal, but after it has loaded microsoft windows (the page with the scrolling bar) and the blue XP screen comes up, the different usernames do not come up. instead when it says "windows is loading..." the whole thing restarts and does it again.

sometimes it comes up with the setup screen (without me pressing delete) but i dont kno what is wrong!!

Please help,
Thank You,
Rich T.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 242 posts.

Experience: Mid-Intermediate
29-Aug-2008, 06:07 PM #2
Enter into Safe Mode on BIOS check screen by tapping the F8 button. Make sure you have a keyboard that has PS/2 connection or USB legacy enabled in BIOS.

Once in Safe Mode try and run any anti spyware programs or ant virus programs you might have. Some infections reboot the computer.

Did this problem just start happening or has it been doing this for a while?

Also, if you have a XP boot disk try using a System Restore Point to see if the problem is fixed that way.

If all these fixes don't work try repairing Windows with an XP disk.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 1,092 posts.

Experience: Advanced
29-Aug-2008, 08:17 PM #3
SFC /scannow tutorial;
Scan For Missing/Corrupt System Files...

Windows XP comes with a wonderful tool called System File Checker (SFC)
Itscans and verifies the versions of all protected system files after you restart your computer...
To Do This:
Click Start menu, and then click the Run icon.
In the small box that Opens, type the three letters: cmd then click the OK button.
In the command prompt window that just opened (a black background and white text), type the following command:
SFC /scannow
And then click OK
You must be logged on as a member of the Administrators group to run SFC..
You will need your Windows XP CD during this procedure if SFC needs to get an original file. Please remember that Windows XP can have multiple instances of a .DLL file and remember which version is for which program.
Notes....
I have been asked if it is possible to have a "progress meter" show when SFC runs... This is the registry hack you need. PLEASE do not go messing with your registry if you do NOT know what you are doing!
System Key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
Value Name: SFCShowProgress
Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)
Value Data: (0 = disabled, 1 = enabled)

MORE INFORMATION from Microsoft Corporation;
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310747

System File Checker gives an administrator the ability to scan all protected files to verify their versions. If System File Checker discovers that a protected file has been overwritten, it retrieves the correct version of the file from the cache folder (%Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache) or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file. System File Checker also checks and repopulates the cache folder. You must be logged on as an administrator or as a member of the Administrators group to run System File Checker. If the cache folder becomes damaged or unusable, you can use the sfc /scannow, the sfc /scanonce, or the sfc /scanboot commands to repair its contents.

System File Checker Tool Syntax
Sfc [/Scannow] [/Scanonce] [/Scanboot] [/Revert] [/Purgecache] [/Cachesize=x]
• /Scannow: Scans all protected system files immediately and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions. This command may require access to the Windows installation source files.
• /Scanonce: Scans all protected system files one time when you restart your computer. This command may require access to the Windows installation source files when you restart the computer. The SfcScan DWORD value is set to 2 in the following registry key when you run this command:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
• /Scanboot: Scans all protected system files every time you start your computer. This command may require access to the Windows installation source files every time you start your computer. The SfcScan DWORD value is set to 1 in the following registry key when you run this command:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
• /Revert: Returns scan to the default setting (do not scan protected files when you start the computer).The default cache size is not reset when you run this command. This command is equivalent to the /Enable switch in Windows 2000.
• /Purgecache: Purges the file cache and scans all protected system files immediately. This command may require access to the Windows installation source files.
• /Cachesize=x: Sets the file cache size to x megabytes (MB). The default size of the cache is 50 MB. This command requires you to restart the computer, and then run the /purgecache command to adjust the size of the on-disk cache. This command sets the SfcQuota DWORD value to x in the following registry key:
Computer Specs
Member with 9,028 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
30-Aug-2008, 03:08 AM #4
Welcome to TSG!

SFC, Spyware and Antivirus scans are all good ideas.

But also do the following so we can get a better idea of why the system is doing this.

Tap F8 when the PC starts, but instead of Safe Mode select Disable automatic restart on system failure on the Windows Advanced Options Menu. That's not always an option on all systems though. If not, boot to safe mode, and disable the automatic reboot like this:
Right click My Computer, click Properties
Click the Advanced tab
Under Startup and Recovery click the Settings... button
Under System Failure uncheck Automatically restart
Ok back to the desktop, and then reboot. This will let the system stop so you can see the error

Post the complete error message here.

HTH

Jerry

30-Aug-2008, 06:28 AM #5
@TheOutcaste - i did wat u said but still my comp restarts (i tried both ways u said)
Trusted Advisor with 15,954 posts.

30-Aug-2008, 08:35 AM #6
May be time to check the internal connections.
Turn the computer off and disconnect it from the power
Take off the side of the case and touch the bare metal chassis to discharge static.
Remove Ram..Video cards from their slots

Plug in the RAM [one stick at a time].
Also try different slots.
Ensure it is seated correctly.
Reseat Video card.

Check Hard drive and Motherboard connections [IDE]
Take them off and reseat them.

Inspect the case for dust etc.
Remove the dust..do not use a vacuum cleaner

Check that the processor fan rotate. Check for dust.

Turn on and listen for a beep.

A properly working computer should beep once while booting, and the lights on the keyboard should flash while booting.

30-Aug-2008, 02:23 PM #7
@ Mega Tron... its a recent thing .. .never happened before. my comp is bad but its never been like this.

finished scanning almost 1,000,000 files and it came up with 5 things:

Adware:win32/exact.G - alert level High
Program:win32/PwerRegScheluder - alert level Medium
Spyware:win32/2Search - alert level High
Spyware:win32/180SolutionsWebInstaller - alert level Medium
Trojan:JS/Agent.FA - alert level High

will delete these 5 now and see what happens....

Deleted all 5 and upon rebooting my computer it did the same thing yet again... i guess its not caused by a virus...

time 2 try a 3rd theory

Thanks anyway... thts 5 viruses gone from my comp =)
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 1,092 posts.

Experience: Advanced
30-Aug-2008, 02:36 PM #8
Those infections are worse than you think in my small little experience.
I would bet you are still infested with malware. and that they may not in fact be gone yet.
You can start by reading the sticky posts here;
http://forums.techguy.org/54-malware...jackthis-logs/
and go from there.
Just a thought after you are all done with this, you may want to backup all your personal files to CD-DVD and try a system repair or restore and get your system running fresh again you have a million files on your system thats quite a few and your system is probably running a lot slower than it could.

30-Aug-2008, 05:09 PM #9
theres a problem though... i cant download HJT if i cant get on my comp...

as for my personal files i dont have that many and they are all already backed up.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 242 posts.

Experience: Mid-Intermediate
30-Aug-2008, 11:43 PM #10
You need to download a BootCD and burn its contents to CD.
Here are some Boot CD's

http://trinityhome.org/Home/index.ph...=5&front_id=12
http://www.bootzilla.org/?Download
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

Here is a list of recovery programs you may need after booting the computer up from the CD.

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/col...ads/files.html
Computer Specs
Member with 9,028 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
31-Aug-2008, 05:06 AM #11
If setting the Disable automatic restart on system failure setting didn't get you to a nice Blue Screen Error, it's sure sounding like malware.

Double check the settings to make sure they "stuck" though.

If they did, if you can boot to safe mode, choose Safe mode with Networking, that should let you get on line so you can download HJT, or you can download HJT on another PC and copy it over using a Floppy - USB flash/external drive - CD, it's only 793 KiB in size.

Go to Download HiJack This
  • Click the Download HijackThis Installer link.
  • Save HJTInstall.exe to your desktop.
  • Double click on the HJTInstall.exe icon on your desktop.
  • By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis
  • Click Install
  • Click the I Accept button on the License Agreement Window
  • The Main Menu window will open
  • Click on the Do a system scan and save a log file button.
  • It will scan, save the log in C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis, and then the log will open in Notepad.
  • In Notepad, click on Edit > Select All then click on Edit > Copy to copy the entire log.
  • Paste the log in your next reply.
  • Paste the entire log into the reply window below your description of the problem.
  • DO NOT have HijackThis fix anything yet. Most of what it finds is required or harmless.

Give as much information about the problem as you can.

• OS version and Service Pack installed
  • Exact text of any error messages
  • Any new Software or Hardware installed

From the Rules

Log Analysis/Malware Removal - In order to ensure that advice given to users is consistent and of the highest quality, those who wish to assist with security related matters must first graduate from one of the malware boot camp training universities or be approved by the administration as already being qualified. Those authorized to help with malware issues have a gold shield next to their name and authorized malware removal trainees have a blue shield next to their names. Anyone wishing to participate in a training program should contact a Moderator for more information.

* Be patient. The malware experts are very busy and will get to you. Older posts with zero replies will likely get responded to sooner, so don't bump your post or add information for at least 24 hours. You can edit your post during the first 24 hours if you need to add anything you forgot. To edit your post, click the EDIT button by the post you want to edit.

31-Aug-2008, 08:27 AM #12
im gna post it on the malware fix forum... if u want it here just ask

Last edited by rich.t; 31-Aug-2008 at 09:15 AM..
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
cant login, reboot, restarts, windows xp

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!