Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Where did my files go?

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
03-Sep-2008, 08:49 PM #1
Unhappy Where did my files go?
My dad was using my computer, and I think he did a "system restore" or a reboot. I'm not sure which one because I wasn't there when he did it. (Unfortunately...) I start up my computer and my login is no longer on the login screen. It automatically logs in & starts Windows XP. My desktop has changed to factory setting, there are all these different icons on my desktop now, and it basically looks like it did when I opened it out of the box 2 years ago. I go to My Documents and none of my files are there. Same with My Pictures and My Music. My dad said when he did the reboot/restore the data files would not be deleted. They weren't, and I found them under "My Computer> C> Documents and settings> Owner> Owner's Documents". All of my docs, pics, and music are there. My question is, how can I get my computer back the way it was before my dad messed it up? If I can't do that, how can I get all of my documents, pictures, and music under the appropriate files? I tried to do a "system restore" but it won't let me choose a restore date before my dad messed with it. Thanks in advance, I really appreciate it.
Trusted Advisor with 19,645 posts.

03-Sep-2008, 10:20 PM #2
Well we really need to know the exact details of what your Father did. But, if all your documents are there, I don't see what the problem is.
Member with 644 posts.

Experience: Yes
03-Sep-2008, 10:24 PM #3
Reversing System Restore:
Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore. Click "Undo my last restoration", next. Click Ok to the screen message after the reboot.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

03-Sep-2008, 10:53 PM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy the Adult View Post
Reversing System Restore:
Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore. Click "Undo my last restoration", next. Click Ok to the screen message after the reboot.
I went to that screen, but I don't have an "Undo my last restoration" option.

The problem is, my username no longer appears at the login screen, my desktop background has changed, there are icons on my desktop I deleted a long time ago, when I click on "My Documents" none of my own files are there, when I click on "My Pictures" there are only the "sample pictures" there, when I click on "My Music" none of my music is there. I found all of my files going through the process I described, so I know they have not been deleted forever. I just want to know how to get my computer back to the way it was. I want to click on "My Pictures" and have all my pictures there. I want to click on "My Documents" and have all my documents there. Right now they are under "Owner". And I have no choice as to who to login as on the login screen, it just automatically logs in for me.
Trusted Advisor with 19,645 posts.

03-Sep-2008, 11:08 PM #5
Copy them to wherever you want them. Create a new user if you want to.

If your Father used a System Recovery or did some kind of Repair installation you are probably going to have to start from scratch as far as all your profile settings.
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

03-Sep-2008, 11:12 PM #6
There isn't a way to make the computer look like it did before. Your dad restored the computer back to the way it was when it was purchased. Count yourself very lucky to still have any of your data left. You should look into ways of backing up your data.

What you need to do now is create a new account for yourself. Then log in with it and start moving your documents and pictures from where they are now to your new account's folders (My Documents, My Music, etc.).
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 5,203 posts.

04-Sep-2008, 02:35 AM #7
Hi elliemay,
A bit late now I know, but for the future perhaps your Dad could buy Acronis True Image (well regarded at TSG), this would make getting things back as you want them a lot easier in the future as Acronis really is a 'true image'.
See what you think:
http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing...cts/trueimage/

Richard.
Member with 644 posts.

Experience: Yes
04-Sep-2008, 08:53 AM #8
Elliemay, as Squash and DH mention it seems your dad used system recovery instead of system restore. And as mentioned if that is the case then you are very lucky to have your files still there in any form. I would suggest copying them to an external drive for future incidents and then putting the pc 's appearance back manually.. you can go to Windows explorer and drag the pictures folder back into the 'new' my pictures folder.. same for music.. As for the desktop background, any programs and Windows updates, they will all have to be installed again..
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
lost files, reboot, restore, windows xp

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!