Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: \windows\inf\biosinfo.inf is missing or corrupted

(!)

Junior Member with 9 posts.

08-Sep-2008, 09:28 PM #1
Solved: \windows\inf\biosinfo.inf is missing or corrupted
My wife's laptop tried to automatically update to Service Pack 3. When it restarted, I get the
"Windows could not start because the following is missing or corrupt:
\windows\inf\biosinfo.inf
You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM.
Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair"
My problem is I can't get to the Recovery Console. When I try, I get the blue Windows Setup screen, with the little gray bar at the bottom that loads all the crap, then I get a blue screen that says "A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer, some other stuff and then
Technical Information:
***STOP: 0x0000007E (0xc0000005, 0xF75DD0BF, 0xF7A29208, 0xF7A28F08)
*** pci.sys - Address F75DD0BF base at F75D6000, Datestamp 3b7d855c". What do I do? I've tried all the "Fixes" and none work. I can't boot in safe mode, I get the same error. Any help would be apreciated.
Thanks
Computer Specs
Member with 9,028 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
08-Sep-2008, 10:33 PM #2
Welcome to TSG!

Some info on the laptop would help, make, model, etc.

Are you using the Windows XP CD that came with the laptop? If not, does the CD you are using have SP2 included? (It's possible the manufacturer included the wrong CD as well)
If the laptop uses a PCI-Express Video adapter, you'll get this error if you are using a WinXP CD that doesn't have SP2 included.

To check the CD, look at the root of the CD-ROM. You should see the following 2 files (The Red X will be a C for WinXP Home, a P for WinXP Pro; it may or may not have an extension):
WIN51
WIN51IX.SP2

The extension of the WIN51IX.XXX tells you the SP level of the disk, No extension means no Service Pack, .SP1 means SP1 or SP1A, and .SP2 means SP2. I haven't seen a disk with SP3 yet, but would assume it follows the same pattern.
If you don't have SP2 on the disk and have a PCI-Express Video adapter, you'll need to find one, or make a disk with SP2 slipstreamed in. There might be other hardware that can cause the same issue.

Once you can get to the Recovery Console, you just need to copy the biosinfo.inf file from the CD to the Windows\inf folder.
So you would type copy D:\i386\biosinfo.inf c:\windows\inf

Note that the drive letter for the CD may be different than what it is when booted to Windows. Type MAP at the Recovery Console prompt to list the drive letters -- the CD will be the one that says \device\CDrom0
Wouldn't hurt to run chkdsk /R from the Recovery Console as well. This could take several hours to complete though.

HTH

Jerry

Last edited by TheOutcaste; 09-Sep-2008 at 06:02 PM.. Reason: Clarified file names on CD

09-Sep-2008, 04:28 PM #3
Thanks for the reply. The laptop is a Dell Inspiron-B120 with a Celeron M.
I'm not sure about the Video adapter, but the only 2 files I see on the CD are "Win51" and "Win51IC" none have .SP1 or .SP2. The CD from my is from 2001.
Computer Specs
Member with 9,028 posts.

09-Sep-2008, 06:00 PM #4
the W51ic file without an extension means WinXP Home with no service packs. I left that part out, so I've edited my previous post to clarify.

According to the owners manual for that laptop, it uses either the
Intel 910GML or Intel 915GM chipset, both of which provide PCI-Express support, so I would assume the integrated video is PCI-Express.

As the Owners manual is dated September 2005 and the oldest driver I can find is also dated 2005, I'm guessing the laptop shipped with WinXP-SP2 installed, so you'll probably just need to find/make a WinXP disk with SP2 slipstreamed in.

I've found this guide to be pretty easy to follow to slipstream a service pack:
How to use AutoStreamer to Slipstream Windows XP Service Pack 2

That should let you get into the Recovery Console to copy the biosinfo.inf file. Hopefully that's the only file that is missing/corrupted.

HTH

Jerry

09-Sep-2008, 09:15 PM #5
Unfortunately, AutoStreamer won't recognize my Re-installation CD.
Computer Specs
Member with 9,028 posts.

09-Sep-2008, 11:08 PM #6
You might try copying the CD to your hard drive first, say to C:\XPCD, then point Autostreamer to that folder using the I want to specify my own local Windows share Option.

If you need a free ISO burner this Windows Powertoy works pretty well.

If all else fails, I have iso images of bootable CDs that will boot to the recovery console. You can download them from here:TheOutcaste's Misc files, then burn to a CD. These images only have a subset of the i386 folder but they do include the biosinfo.inf file.

I'm guessing the laptop already had SP2 on it, so grab one of those images. The files on the CD indicate the CD is for XP Home; does the laptop also have XP Home, or is it XP Pro? Whichever, just make sure the image you grab matches the laptop. While either version should boot to the Recovery Console, there are some differences in some system files, so best if the versions match if you are going to copy files.

HTH

Jerry

Last edited by TheOutcaste; 10-Sep-2008 at 07:14 PM..

10-Sep-2008, 03:44 PM #7
Thanks again, do I just burn the image and boot straight from there?
Computer Specs
Member with 9,028 posts.

10-Sep-2008, 04:13 PM #8
Yes, just use your favorite ISO burning program to burn the image to a disk. Don't just copy the iso file, it has to be burned as an image of course.

10-Sep-2008, 04:16 PM #9
It got me to the recovery console, I copied the file, rebooted and it's been stuck at the desktop with the following message:
"Setting Up Personalized Settings For: Windows Desktop Update"

10-Sep-2008, 04:44 PM #10
Dude, Thanks again, that worked beautifully.
Tony
Computer Specs
Member with 9,028 posts.

10-Sep-2008, 05:15 PM #11
Glad it worked Tony. Guess it wasn't really stuck; if other files on the PC were corrupted, it may have just been trying to read them several times.

Might be a good idea to run chkdsk on the drive -- whatever caused the missing/corrupted file could have afffected other files as well.

Open My Computer then right click on the hard drive and choose Properties
Click the Tools tab then click the Check Now... button under Error-checking.
Check both boxes in the Check Disk dialog, then click the Start button.
You'll get an info box asking if you want to schedule the disk check on the nest restart; say yes, then reboot and let the check run.

This can take several hours depending on the size of the drive and how many and what types of errors (if any) it finds.
A chkdsk report will be saved in the Event Viewer under Application with a source of Winlogon.

If your issue has been resolved you (and ONLY you) can mark this thread Solved by using the Mark Solved button at the Top Left of this thread (above the first post)

Jerry
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
biosinfo.inf, recovery console iso

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!