Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Setup cannot continue because the version of Windows on your computer is newer than

(!)

Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
13-Sep-2008, 06:10 PM #1
Setup cannot continue because the version of Windows on your computer is newer than
I'm trying to re-install Windows XP on my Dell XPS computer. I'm using the Reinstallation CD provided by Dell. The CD boots and says "Welcome to MS Windows XP - What do you want to do?" I click on "Install Windows XP" Windows Setup screen appears, followed by this message - "Setup cannot continue because the version of Windows on your computer is newer than the version on the CD. Warning: If you decide to delete the newer version of Windows that is currently installed on your computer, the files and settings cannot be recovered. To Exit, click Cancel or click the Continue box" Unfortunately, the Continue box is not active (it's light gray in color and nothing happens when you click on it). I want to continue with the re-installation, but don't know how. Any/all suggestions are appreciated. Note: I'm doing the re-installation because of a virus attack which has left my "C" drive invisible to me. I have SP2 installed on the computer. The Reinstallation CD (from 2003) includes SP1.
Senior Member with 720 posts.

Experience: A+ and a little more
13-Sep-2008, 06:58 PM #2
If you want to wipe the current system you need to boot to the CD . You will then have an option to delete the system partition and format and instal a fresh copy from the CD . Make sure you have boot priority set to CD before HD in BIOS . Usually F2 or Del on boot to access BIOS/Setup .

13-Sep-2008, 07:13 PM #3
Thanks for the prompt response. I am trying to boot from/to the CD, but as I described in detail, I am unable to continue when I get the error message. I did check BIOS and the CD drive is number 1. I'm just one step away from disk partitioning, etc. but since the Continue button is inactive, I don't know how to proceed. Further help is appreciated.
Member with 10,249 posts.

Experience: Learning
13-Sep-2008, 07:14 PM #4
Is the keyboard USB?
Member with 443 posts.

Experience: Advanced
13-Sep-2008, 07:20 PM #5
I've seen that before. usually because i did not have the same original install disk.
You can get by it though by deleting the current OS. With a virus like that I would be tempted to wipe the drive and reinstall, if you have an up to date backup. You might get some of the virus checkers that boot from CD or floopy run that to clean your system. Maybe you could continue then. If not when you are in the dos prompt screen that the virus checker gives you just delete the XP dir (probably c:\windows)
Good luck. Viruses sure suck.

13-Sep-2008, 08:05 PM #6
Re: Keyboard - it has a round connector. Is that USB? Thanks!
Member with 10,249 posts.

Experience: Learning
13-Sep-2008, 08:17 PM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rxman72 View Post
Re: Keyboard - it has a round connector. Is that USB? Thanks!
Nope . . that would be a PS/2 connection.

As nessyguin said, you need to boot from the installation cd.

To do that:

enter BIOS ( Setup ) and set the first boot device as CD/ROM. Put your XP Disc in the drive and disconnect all external peripherals except the monitor, keyboard and mouse, and be sure those are not USB, or wireless. Any internal USB card should also be removed.

Once you set your BIOS to boot first from cd . . when it restarts you will see a black screen with a prompt "Press any key to boot from CD" . . do that and you will be able to delete any or all partitions and recreate one or more, then proceed to formating and installing XP.

That message can pass quickly, so have a finger on the keyboard when you boot. This will delete all data on the drive so be sure you have your important data backed up. The prompt will appear after every reboot, but do not press any key on subsequent reboots. The setup process will continue with no action required from you.

If you do not get that message, and if you have another optical drive, try the XP CD in the other drive.

If you are installing on SATA drive, there is an additional step:

http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org/how...ws_xp_on_a.htm

You can get a reinstallation guide specific to your Dell here
http://support.dell.com/support/topi...n&s=dhs&~ck=mn

This is a great guide for reinstalling on a Dell: http://www.djdenham.com/Install%20Procedures.htm

This is a site that walks you thru a simulated XP installation:
http://www.echoproject.net/en/software/catalog.html

You will likely have to reload drivers (Chipset first) and applications, If your XP installation disc does not include SP3, after the installation, you will need to download and install SP-3, while windows is clean. Prior to connecting to the internet be sure you enable the XP firewall.

For help entering BIOS: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm
http://www.techsupportforum.com/cont...e/Tips/48.html

Microsoft MCCA 2012
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
virus alert, windows xp

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!