Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

[SOLVED] Norton Anti-virus is a CPU hog???

(!)

Senior Member with 803 posts.

04-Apr-2002, 11:46 AM #1
Norton Anti-virus is a CPU hog???
Hi -

I noticed something today and i would like to know if it is "normal".

Background: Pentium II, 400MHz, 256MB Ram, 8 Gig HD (2 Gig free), Win2000. Norton Systemworks, including Anti-virus.

Anyway, i run the system Doctor usually (i know, it uses memory up, but the computer runs well anyway), and this morning after re-booting i noticed that the CPU Meter was constantly in the 75%- 90% range. Always. I didn't have any programs running and was not connected to the internet.

So i checked the task manager (processes) and this (navapsvc.exe) seemed to be pretty active. So i shut down Norton Antivirus and the CPU usage dropped to 5% immediately. I turned it back on, and the CPU usage went back up. And I am not doing a full system scan (that happens every friday night).

Is this normal? The computer seems to be running just fine. No viruses, no spyware. It's a little slow, but then again it's 3.5 years old and i want a new one. But all in all everything is fine.

I guess i could understand if i was downloading something (especially e-mail), but i use dial-up and was not connected to the internet.

Any suggestions or comments. Thanks.

Tom

PS - i should note that the above may have always been the case and i just never noticed so it might not be a "new" condition.

04-Apr-2002, 11:03 PM #2
Would this question be more appropriate in the Hardware or Win2000 forums?

Tom
Computer Specs
Member with 11,584 posts.

Experience: Advanced
05-Apr-2002, 07:03 PM #3
tom
Will see if Win2K forum gets hits! Moving there.
Dave
Computer Specs
Member with 2,870 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
06-Apr-2002, 12:57 AM #4
Hi tomlunt,
Try setting autoprotect to scan only downloaded or created files. Then set it to scan program files and documents. Now someone may have an opinion on my next suggestion but I would uncheck smart scan also. Mine runs in background and uses very lttle resources with these settings. Be sure you change these in the auto protect section. I also have my manual scan set to scan all files when I do it myself.

06-Apr-2002, 08:05 AM #5
TW56 -

thanks for the tips. the computer in question is at the office, so I'll check it out Monday AM.

Tom

08-Apr-2002, 11:36 AM #6
TW56 -

thanks for the tips, however, i couldn't easily find the items you mentioned, so i did what we all do when something goes wrong in windows: i uninstalled and then re-installed (Norton System works, that is). It worked.

I don't know why, but the CPU meter is back to normal (about 5% usage when nothing is going on).

I'll just chalk this one up as unexplained.

Thanks for your help.

Tom
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!