Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: pci.sys Blue Screen Error When Installing Windows XP Proffessional

(!)

Member with 242 posts.

Experience: Beginning Advanced
23-Sep-2008, 07:56 PM #1
Solved: pci.sys Blue Screen Error When Installing Windows XP Proffessional
I'm trying to install Windows XP Proffessional on an Inspiron E1705 laptop. This laptop came with Windows XP Media Center Edition on it. I wanted to know some information though and do some work that required all 3 editions of Windows XP, because there's different steps to accomplish the same things on each type of Windows XP.

Therefore, I imaged my origional setup on Windows XP Media Center Edition. That way I haven't lost data. Then, I re-installed Windows XP Media Center Edition to get a mimimum install, and imaged it. Then I did the same with my Windows XP Home Edition, which is what I'm using now to type this.

Now, I wanted to install and image the Windows XP Proffessional of mine. It should've worked, but for some reason, it's giving me a blue screen error right when the Loading Windows part of setup starts. This blue screen error mentions pci.sys.

Now I've installed that Windows XP Proffessional on about 5 machines before, and it's always worked for me (I believe it was 5 or so). Anyway, I've never needed to install it on this machine before until now, because it's more convienient to install it here. Note that it's not running on any other machine or anything, I haven't needed it installed on a machine for awhile.

Well, here's what I've been trying. According to several Internet sites, I might need to install additional drivers by creating a custom disk with nLite. I've indeed now created 1 DVD, and about 2 CDs, with different drivers and can't seem to find the right driver that needs sticking on there, because people seem to say different parts may be missing.

If this makes any difference, I know that both my Home Edition and my Media Center Edition have Service Pack 2 on it when all I do is install the Windows. This CD of Windows XP Proffessional does not. It only has Service Pack 1 installed when you just install Windows with the disk.

Now if I was going to be using it long term or anything, I'd pretty close to immediately install Service Pack 2, and then Service Pack 3 on it. However, I'm not needing it for this test, I don't think, therefore I don't care if it only has SP1.

I don't at this point slipstream the disks with Service Pack 2 or any other service packs. Maybe at some point I'll see a major benifit to doing it, but right now I don't. Now I would slipstream this, if it was absolutely neccessary to get it to run though.

Can someone tell me what might be the correct drivers to include, or if I just need to slipstream service pack 2 or something to get it to boot on this machine?
Member with 242 posts.

23-Sep-2008, 07:57 PM #2
P.S. - Thanks if you can, because it would save me disks which I don't have tons of right now.
Computer Specs
Member with 4,318 posts.

Experience: Advanced
23-Sep-2008, 09:09 PM #3
There could be an issue with the XP Pro SP1 CD and partition size, I think SP1 can only work with partitions up to 127GB in size..
I would slipstream SP3, you can go straight from SP1 to SP3.
Use nLite, it even burns the CD for you.

The only driver needed would be for Sata or Raid, if the Home and Media Centre CD's didn't need a driver slipstreamed in then XP Pro shouldn't either.

Try using a re-writable CD, that will save you using up CD's
Member with 242 posts.

23-Sep-2008, 10:32 PM #4
I can try using a re-writable CD. At least that will save me CDs, until I'm perfectly happy with it. Thanks there.

I guess I'll try slipstreaming SP2 then, into the CD, and see if that makes a difference. You say I need the SATA driver? Well, which is the SATA driver? I heard you can disable SATA in the BIOS, but I don't see an option for it in mine. Windows XP Home, seems to be reading as if it was IDE though. If you can find a download link directly for the exact SATA driver I should need, with Inspiron E1705, I'll download it and try slipstreaming it first then. If not, then I'll just try SP2. I know that I checked via service tag for the driver, and didn't see a driver for it.
Computer Specs
Member with 4,318 posts.

Experience: Advanced
23-Sep-2008, 11:21 PM #5
I didn't mean you definitely need a Sata driver, if XP Home and Media Centre didn't need a driver then XP Pro won't need one either.

Try it with just SP2 or SP3 (using SP3 with greatly reduce the number of windows updates you will need after the install).

Logging of now, will check here later, hope it works.
Member with 242 posts.

26-Sep-2008, 04:20 PM #6
I slipstreamed the disc with SP2, again using nLite. Guess what? Success! Or at least so much success that unless I find another error, I'll call this solved. I didn't get the blue screen error at all! That's great!

So, now what I need to do is install Windows XP Proffessional, and then continue with my experiments. If it installs and works fine, I'll decide that it's done then.

So, appearently while other computers may accept just plain Windows XP, or SP1, my Inspiron E1705 Laptop does NOT support any less than installing SP2. All the other disks were already at least SP2, so I won't bother slipstreaming anymore. So, now that I know what was the cause, and how to fix it, does anybody know why this might have fixed the issue? Why, as far as the driver, would the pci.sys work with SP2 or higher, but not SP1?

No more reason to slipstream any others though right now. I'm not too slipstream happy. I'd decided that I'll only slipstream occasionally, because I could slipstream the whole world into the disk, and not really get anything done. However I can get a lot done right now by focusing on automatic stuff, yes, but not going to the extremes. Unless I find a compelling reason to slipstream SP3 into all the disks, I won't do that. I'd have to find a reason to slipstream it, such as this, where it won't work unless I slipstream it. But again, if anyone knows why it just won't work without at least slipstreamed SP2, let me know. You can get technical, as long as you explain the technical details in a non-technical way.
Computer Specs
Member with 9,028 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
26-Sep-2008, 06:22 PM #7
Glad you got it working. Sorry I didn't see this thread sooner.

Prior to SP2 Windows XP does not support PCI-Express Video cards during the install, at least not the more recent ones, which is what your Inspiron has. You have to use a Windows XP disk that includes SP2 to install.

Jerry
Member with 242 posts.

26-Sep-2008, 09:14 PM #8
Thanks! Now I know not only what was needed, but why. And it didn't hurt me, except for minor lost time, because now I know how to slipstream (with a program), and now I don't have to remember that one has no SP2, and the rest of the discs do, now I know that all my Windows XP discs are SP2.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!