Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Unable to open intranet site

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 5 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
25-Sep-2008, 04:09 PM #1
Thumbs down Unable to open intranet site
We have an intranet site named as Employee Self Service (ESS). In my lap top I am unable to open the login page of the site. But I am accesing the same site in any other office desktops. Kindly help me out how to get rid of this problem.
Member with 82 posts.

25-Sep-2008, 04:38 PM #2
On your laptop, are popups blocked? Does the ESS site require Java or other plug in?

Are you getting any error message at all, or just a blank screen?
Computer Specs

26-Sep-2008, 01:28 PM #3
Just Blank Screen
Member with 82 posts.

26-Sep-2008, 01:32 PM #4
Access the ESS site from one of the other computers and see if required system specs are listed anywhere. Sometimes they'll tell you what's required to view the information.

Failing that, compare the Advanced settings for Internet Explorer (are you using IE?) on a machine that can connect, with your laptop to see if there are any obvious differences.
Computer Specs

26-Sep-2008, 01:40 PM #5
Please let me know how to see the system specifications. I am able to open the ESS in other desktops but not in my laptop
Computer Specs
Member with 54 posts.

Experience: How do I Ctrl+Alt+Del?
26-Sep-2008, 03:51 PM #6
What Gombot means is a lot of the time on a website it will have specs on what is required in order to view the website ( I cant stand when it says you must use IE to view this website, Firefox fanatic here). Since other users in your office are able to open it but you cant, it may very well be your IE settings. Bring your laptop over to a desktop that can access the ESS site. On both computers, open up IE, click the tools menu, and go to internet options. In the box that pops up, go to the Advanced tab. Now compare both. You should setup your laptop identical to the desktop that can access the website. If this does not correct the issue, then you can rule out your internet options as the issue.

Gombot also makes a very good point. It could require the latest java or plug-ins such as flashplayer. Normally, a site will prompt to install an ActiveX control if needed. Sometimes, if you dont have admin priviliges on the computer, it will not prompt you and you wont be able to access the site. See if thats the case.

Again, with your laptop next to a desktop that can access the site, open up IE and click the Tools menu. Click Manage Add-ons. Make sure it says on the Show: section "Add-ons currently loaded in Internet Explorer" and compare with the working desktop. If you are missing anything than that may be the problem...
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!