Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Windows XP IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 6 posts.

Experience: Beginner
29-Sep-2008, 11:20 PM #1
Windows XP IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
I recently put a new hard drive into my Toshiba Satellite M35-S456 laptop. I used the "recovery and applications/drivers DVD" which put my lap top back in the original state as when I bought it 4 years ago. After installing SP2 and SP3 from Windows and updating Windows XP, I attempted to install my linksys wireless broadband router WRT54GS V7 with the disc that was given. I had already installed this router prior to putting the new hard drive in, but figured I would have to reload the software and redo the entire process to set up the wireless router again. I never did get the laptop to be wireless the first time, I had it plugged into the router. So once I got to this point again, I chose to now make my lap top wireless and when I did I got the BSOD with the following error message above, the IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
STOP: 0X0000000A

I am not sure if this is a driver issue, some hardware problem, something I didn't get updated correctly and is now causing a conflict, but I feel like there are steps I could take to diagnose this and get to the bottom if it. I am able to boot in safe mode, but not in last known good configuration mode. Any and all help on walking me through the diagnostic process and fixing this would be greatly appreciated!
Computer Specs
Member with 1,756 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
30-Sep-2008, 12:58 AM #2
Are you able to boot into Safe Mode with Networking? If so can you connect to the internet with something other than wireless?

While in Safe Mode with Networking open the Windows directory and look for the 'minidump' folder. Open the folder, right click on the latest dump files and select 'Send to'>>'Compressed (zipped) folder'.

Come back to this thread and in your next post upload the zip folder using the 'Manage Attachments' feature.

We can try some debugging to locate the possible cause.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
30-Sep-2008, 12:59 AM #3
Definitely a driver issue. It's always a bad idea to use the software and drivers that comes with hardware, especially network cards. The software is old and buggy by the time it gets to you and is typically the very first version produced. Always get online and find the most recent driver for installation.

What network card do you have? The router is not for installing to your machine, but network cards are.

Last edited by Elvandil; 30-Sep-2008 at 01:14 AM..
Computer Specs

30-Sep-2008, 01:15 AM #4
I wasn't able to boot into safe mode with networking, the bsod pops up again. The rest of the technical info is:

*** STOP: 0x0000000A (0xFF1701F0, ox00000002, 0x00000000, 0x804D9B64)

Any other ways to diagnose this? I suppose I could just reload Windows Xp by running the recovery disc again, or would that not work again this time around due to this current issue?
Computer Specs

30-Sep-2008, 01:17 AM #5
So you think it has something to do with the Linksys router I installed? I'm not familiar with what type of driver may be causing the problem or how to resolve it.
Computer Specs

30-Sep-2008, 01:25 AM #6
If you installed cleanly, removing the partitions, creating new ones, and formatting will work since the driver you loaded will then be gone.

What exactly did you install? Routers are not installed. You must have installed your network card. If you can boot from the XP CD and get to the Recovery Console, you could disable the new driver and boot up to remove it.
Computer Specs

30-Sep-2008, 01:30 AM #7
It was a brand new OEM hard drive that I installed, but I didn't or don't know how to remove any partitions, or how to create new ones. Should I just put the recovery disc in and see if the system comes back up? If so, once it is back up, what do I need to do? I know I need to DL SP2 and SP3 for Windows XP Home, but what else needs to be done at that point, or am I completely assuming I can get that far when there are other steps that need taken prior to reinstalling the recovery XP disc? Thanks for your help by the way. This is quite the learning experience for me and although it is frustrating, I am very much enjoying this learning process.
Computer Specs

30-Sep-2008, 01:41 AM #8
If it's a recovery CD, then it probably handles most of those steps for you. If it offers you the option of formatting, use it. Otherwise, just install the way you did before but stop before installing the network card so we can try to find an updated driver for it. Toshiba may have one on their site for that model.
Computer Specs

30-Sep-2008, 12:49 PM #9
I am running the recovery cd, which for this laptop is actually Norton Ghost. Once it is done running it restores the Windows XP Home. I did not install a network card does that happen automatically? I am ready to take the next step. Please let me know how to load an updated drive, where to find that info etc. Thanks!
Computer Specs

30-Sep-2008, 04:49 PM #10
I'll be around in about 3-4 hours to give it another try. I tried reinstalling the recovery disc and it goes through the whole Norton Ghost process, but then it won't load and run Windows XP, I can't even get it into safe mode..... I am out of ideas, what do you suggest? Thanks
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
driver problem, hardware problem, irql_not_less_or_equal, stop: 0x0000000a, windows xp home

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!