Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Windows Phone Dialer Contacts Migrate

(!)

Member with 24 posts.

08-Oct-2008, 01:54 PM #1
Solved: Windows Phone Dialer Contacts Migrate
I use the Windows Dialer (dialer.exe) to keep lots of phone numbers and to dial out when I want to call.
There are probably fancier phone dialers available, but I find this one totally adequate for my needs. The problem is that I cannot find where it stores the data on the contacts I have entered. I just had to reinstall windows which meant that I had to retype in all of the contact information rather than reload it from a backup made before I formatted my disk.
This is not a major issue. I just want to see if anyone has any information about this.
Thanks,
Ken Gash
Computer Specs
Member with 9,028 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
08-Oct-2008, 05:14 PM #2
The speed dial entries are stored in the Registry at this key:
Code:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Dialer\Speeddial
You would have to export that key to a .reg file to back it up, then after a re-install, simply double click the file to merge it into the registry and re-enter your speed dial list.

This batch command will export that key to a file name dialer.reg into the My Documents folder of the currently signed on user. Copy the line into Notepad, then save it someplace with a .bat extension. Be sure to change the Save as Type: setting to All Files from Text Documents (*.txt)

Double click the file when ever you want to back up the data. If your backup program backs up the My Documents folder, the dialer.reg file will be in your backup ready to be used.

Code:
reg export "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Dialer\Speeddial" "%userprofile%\My Documents\dialer.reg"
HTH

Jerry
Member with 24 posts.

11-Oct-2008, 10:27 AM #3
Thank you so much for your precise reply. I suspected that the data was stored in the Registry, but I could not find it. I really appreciate getting an exact answer.
Computer Specs
Member with 9,028 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
11-Oct-2008, 05:09 PM #4
You're Welcome!

If your issue has been resolved you (and ONLY you) can mark this thread Solved by using the Mark Solved button at the Top Left of this thread (above the first post)

As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!