Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Changing a Windows 2000 Server Key

(!)

Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
13-Oct-2008, 11:40 AM #1
Changing a Windows 2000 Server Key
Hi,

I am currently cataloging software licences for work and have been for the last month and have come across a few windows 2000 server keys that have been reused. we have 4 servers running 2000 and 4 keys, one for each server but it looks like only 2 keys have been used for the 4 servers in operation.

I have all the odd's and end's to change the product keys for every other windows operating other than windows 2000 server. I could do with getting these keys changed to keep everything compliant.

can anyone suggest how I could go about changing these product keys.

Thanks
Computer Specs
Member with 1,708 posts.

13-Oct-2008, 12:13 PM #2
If you own 4 license you are technically in compiance. Document by making a to-do list to correct keys on next reinstall on server. I think you actually get out of compliance by trying to (hack) change the keys on the fly.

Its been a while since I did a 2000 install but if a 'repair' would accept a new key it would be easier than rebuild??
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
14-Oct-2008, 04:33 AM #3
hmm ok I wouldtry the repair option if I could unfortunatly the servers in question are business critical and can't afford them to fail on me.

those servers are due for upgrade in the next few months so looks like I'll just wait until then to correct the product keys on them.

thanks for your response.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
windows 2000 server

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!