Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: MSN Connection Manager - device missing

(!)

Computer Specs
Senior Member with 1,357 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
14-Oct-2008, 06:45 PM #1
Solved: MSN Connection Manager - device missing
I noticed an icon in my "Network Connections" titled as MSN. It states under "type" that it is a connection manager. The strange thing is that it points to something looking like a telephone number (4255555555) and its status is unavailable due to a missing device...

I don't remember doing anything that could install the above connection...Also scanned my machine with Spybot S&D, Malwarebyte's Antimalware and Commodo Defense+ scanner. None of those programs found anything suspicious.

I accidentally started the msn messenger setup wizard (I don't use it - using windows live messenger) but canceled the setup process almost immediately. Could this be related?

Have you people ever came across this thing? Is it something harmless or should I start posting at the security forums???
Computer Specs
Member with 9,028 posts.

14-Oct-2008, 08:18 PM #2
The MSN Connection manager is installed when you start to install MSN Explorer -- Was that the setup wizard you started (has a butterfly icon) rather than MSN Messenger (has an icon of two people)? MSN Explorer is included with XP; MSN Messenger you would have had to download.

The missing device will be displayed if you don't have a dial up modem.

You can right click the Connection Manager and delete it.

To uninstall MSN Explorer, goto Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs. Check if you see MSN there (will be here if updated from the version included with XP).
If not there, click Add/Remove Windows Components, scroll down to MSN Explorer. If checked, uncheck it.

HTH

Jerry
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 1,357 posts.

14-Oct-2008, 09:01 PM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOutcaste View Post
The MSN Connection manager is installed when you start to install MSN Explorer -- Was that the setup wizard you started (has a butterfly icon) rather than MSN Messenger (has an icon of two people)? MSN Explorer is included with XP; MSN Messenger you would have had to download.

The missing device will be displayed if you don't have a dial up modem.

You can right click the Connection Manager and delete it.

To uninstall MSN Explorer, goto Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs. Check if you see MSN there (will be here if updated from the version included with XP).
If not there, click Add/Remove Windows Components, scroll down to MSN Explorer. If checked, uncheck it.

HTH

Jerry
Thanks a lot for sorting things out for me Jerry!

-I can't remember specific details but you must be right, could be msn explorer. Thing is that the installation never completed. I guess it could have created this connection before the actual setup. Nevermind, it's gone now!

-I figured out that this device is a modem myself too. That's why I got worried in the first place, thought it could be a dialer of some sort! I'm connected to the web via an ethernet adsl router but you never know!

-Uninstalled everything and then deleted the connection.

Thanks again!
Computer Specs
Member with 9,028 posts.

14-Oct-2008, 09:21 PM #4
To install MSN Explorer you have to setup your ISP account with MSN, so the first thing it does, even before the Installation screen fully loads is to create the Connection Manager. And uninstalling doesn't delete it -- MS assumes of course you will re-install... They should at least make it an option to completely uninstall.

Anyways, glad it's sorted, and you're welcome!

Jerry
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!