Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Failed to successfully scan disks for Windows installations...

(!)

Junior Member with 7 posts.

16-Oct-2008, 10:49 PM #1
Failed to successfully scan disks for Windows installations...
I reloaded my Windows XP Pro operating system about 8 months ago because I wanted a clean install (without all the factory add-ons) and I also didn't want the Media Direct on my computer either...so when I reloaded my operating system with Dell's help, I didn't install Media Direct - this way I had more of my Hard Drive available.
When I went to start my laptop, I mistakenly hit the Media Direct button instead of the power button, and I got an "NTLDR is missing error", but I called Dell and we apparently fixed that issue, but my operating system still doesnt load. Instead, when I get to the Dell screen, my computer keeps restarting, endlessly, until I hit the power button to shut it down. As the computer keeps restarting, at the very top left of my screen, almost to quickly to see, there is an error message that says "Invalid BOOT.INI file...Booting from C:\windows\". I am pretty sure when I reloaded my operating system I put it in Drive: D.
I did "bootcfg /list and bootcfg /rebuild and then I get the error: Failed to succesfully scan disks for Windows installations...
I've run chdsk /r two times and both times it says it fixed one or more errors, but I still cannot complete bootcfg /rebuild. I cannot start in safe mode or last known good configuration. Can someone kindly help me with this?
Member with 44,362 posts.

16-Oct-2008, 11:44 PM #2
If you have the CD of the OS, have you tried getting into the repair console? Start it up and choose R as the option when you get to it...When you get to a DOS screen with a C: prompt, type in 'fixmbr', without the quotes. And, after that, type in 'fixboot', without the quotes..It should take you back to your boot options on the install. Restart the computer and see if this helps..

17-Oct-2008, 10:59 AM #3
thank you for the reply ekim68. My xp pro os is loaded onto the D drive though. i already tried the repair console and did fixboot - no luck - but i didnt try fixmbr yet. I read somewhere that fixmbr may do more damage than good...is this so? unfortunately i havent backup my data for a long time and am afraid of losing my files. Is fixmbr safe?
shinybeast shinybeast is offline shinybeast is authorized to help remove malware.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 513 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
17-Oct-2008, 11:44 AM #4
Fixmbr has never done any harm for me or anyone else I know. Your bootfiles (NTLDR, NTDETECT.COM and boot.ini) are probably on the C: partition and boot.ini is telling NTLDR to look for the OS on the C: partition. An alternative would be to edit the boot.ini file to properly point to the Windows installation. Are C: and D: on the same physical disk or are they separate disk drives?

17-Oct-2008, 11:55 AM #5
hey juju68 - I did DISKPART and this is what it says:
74882 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]
Unpartitioned space 47MB
D: Partition2 [NTFS] 72771 MB ( 55339 MB free)
C: Partition1 (MEDIADIRECT) [FAT32] 2055 MB ( 2050 MB free)
Unpartitioned space 8MB
Does this tell you where my boot files are? Your help is much appreciated.

shinybeast shinybeast is offline shinybeast is authorized to help remove malware.
Computer Specs

17-Oct-2008, 12:39 PM #6
BERRY, I know what I would do if I were you but I don't know if I can recommend it though. First, try FIXMBR after booting into the recovery console and see if that works (I have a hunch it might not). Now, what I would do (if I didn't want mediadirect around ever again) is delete all the partitions and start over with a fresh partition, format, and re-install of XP. If you have data on D: you want to keep then you would have to retrieve that first because it would be wiped out. First, give FIXMBR a shot and report back.

17-Oct-2008, 12:46 PM #7
juju - just for the hell of it, i pushed the MediaDirect Button and the MediaDirect seemed to start loading ( I saw the startup screen) then the screen on my laptop changed to the Resume Windows screen but it still would not boot. It kept restarting non-stop. Now when I got into the recovery console and did a DISKPART, everything has changed! my C: drive has the os on it and there is no longer a D: drive, but an E: drive with MediaDirect listed??? I don't know why pushing the MediaDirect button to try and boot my system would do this.
I just tried fixmbr and got this error mssg:
This computer appears to have a non=standard or invalid master boot record.
FIXMBR may damage your partition tables if you proceed.
This could cause all the partitions on the current hard disk to become inaccessible.
So, I didn't proceed to write a new MBR.
Computer Specs

17-Oct-2008, 01:03 PM #8
Yes, I just found out that there is a "DELL MBR" which ain't the same it seems and mediadirect seems like it is trying to fix itself. OK, like I said, best bet if you do not want it is to thouroughly kill it by deleting partition. I have also found out that you could reinstall it later if you wanted. Also, the key that starts it will try to load something if you push it. What will happen when it's not there anymore and you press the key is something I do not know. You wouldn't happen to have a live cd of gparted hanging around would you?
Computer Specs

17-Oct-2008, 01:10 PM #9
Also, do you have a recovery cd or is there a recovery partition on your hard drive?

17-Oct-2008, 01:38 PM #10
I can download the gparted .iso file and transfer the burnt image onto a cd. Is that ok?
Unfortunately I dont have a recovery cd or recovery partition on my hard drive. (I will most likely get an external hard drive after this situation for all my backups)
Computer Specs

17-Oct-2008, 01:50 PM #11
Ok, how did you reload Windows earlier? And how did you attempt the bootcfg and fixmbr stuff? Do you have an XP CD?

17-Oct-2008, 02:04 PM #12
I have an XP disc. That's how i reinstalled my os last time. I did the bootcfg & fixmbr when I was in the recovery console - I booted from the cd/dvd drive with the os reinstallation cd.
Computer Specs

17-Oct-2008, 02:32 PM #13
OK then, you can try this.

boot off of XP CD and get to recovery console
then type diskpart to find the drive letter of the windows partition
then type copy y:\i386\ntldr z:\ (where "y" is letter of cd drive and "z" is the letter of partition Windows is on.)
then type copy y:\i386\ntdetect.com z:\ (where y and z are the same as previous command.)
then type fixmbr (go through with it)
then type fixboot z: (where z: is the Windows partition)
then type bootcfg /rebuild
if all goes well then reboot and hopefully that should get you back into XP

this will replace the dell mbr, so if you were to have a recovery partition or wanted mediadirect then this will screw it up. Otherwise no harm should be done. I am not an expert on Dell's mbr but I do not think it is essential unless you have a recovery partition or want to use mediadirect.

17-Oct-2008, 07:04 PM #14
ok. I will try this and let's keep our fingers crossed. Let you know if I can get back in to xp. Thanks for the help!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!