Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Will my Windows 98 Hard Drive Mount in XP?

(!)

Member with 38 posts.

25-Oct-2008, 01:09 AM #1
Will my Windows 98 Hard Drive Mount in XP?
I have a 120 GB Western Digital IDE Internal Hard Drive that was formatted and used on an old Windows 98 system. I am getting a new computer with Windows XP and I was wondering if I can install this old hard drive as a second drive on the new computer.

Will it mount correctly on XP and will I be able to access the data that's on it?

Thanks!
shinybeast shinybeast is offline shinybeast is authorized to help remove malware.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 513 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
25-Oct-2008, 08:32 AM #2
Hello mark069,

If the drive is OK, then XP will mount it and you should be able to get access to the data. The only thing that would keep it from mounting the drive would be a bad boot sector or some other major problem with the drive. The new computer must have an IDE (PATA) connection on the motherboard as well (which I don't think they have totally done away with yet). If it doesn't, then you would have to get something to convert it to USB or SATA. Hope that helps.
Member with 38 posts.

25-Oct-2008, 11:57 AM #3
Thanks a lot! Yeah, I assumed it would mount OK since the drive is relatively new and has no problems or bad sectors.

I tried to mount it through the external USB port on my laptop the other day and it would not mount but I've had this problem before with otherwise good drives so I think this method of mounting IDE drives is not reliable even with an IDE to USB converter cable.....

The "new" comoputer has IDE connections inside so this shouldn't be a problem. Thanks again!
Member with 38 posts.

02-Nov-2008, 06:32 PM #4
Old Windows 98 Drive DIDN'T mount....
My old IDE drive from a Windows 98 system is not being recognized by my new system. Tried first installing it as a slave drive - system wouldn't find it. Then I tried connecting it through the USB port using and IDE to USB drive enclosure - again the XP system didn't recognize the drive...
shinybeast shinybeast is offline shinybeast is authorized to help remove malware.
Computer Specs

02-Nov-2008, 09:24 PM #5
Hello mark069,

In disk management (Start > Run type diskmgmt.msc and click OK) is the drive listed? Do you know if the drive was compressed with drivespace on the old machine?
Computer Specs

02-Nov-2008, 10:26 PM #6
I initially assumed that since it was a 120GB drive that it was formatted FAT32 but then I realized it might be possible to use FAT16 with Drivespace but I don't know why it would be done. Other than incorrect jumper settings, I might be at a loss. Do you still have the old machine and does the drive work in it?
Member with 38 posts.

03-Nov-2008, 10:09 PM #7
I just tested it on the old machine - it still works! So one solution will be to copy over the contents when it is mounted on the old machine to a new external USB drive - I might end up doing that....

The drive IS NOT listed in disk management on the new machine. I don't think it is FAT16 but I will double check that on the old machine.

My company IT person said to try installing it on the new machine with the "cable select" jumper rather than the slave jumper on the old drive so I might also try that. He said sometimes the "slave" jumper settings don't work correctly....
Member with 38 posts.

04-Nov-2008, 12:14 AM #8
Another problem....
I'm leaning towards the "easy" solution - just copying the contents of the old HD to a new USB drive and I hit another snag.

The old computer has to be booted in safe mode because there is a problem with the OS and it seems as if the USB port does not work. I just inserted a USB stick into the port and the old PC did noit recognize it. So I guess in safe mode the USB port isn't fully functional.....
Computer Specs

04-Nov-2008, 08:23 AM #9
OK, did you try cable select? That is probably the issue. If you examine the ribbon cable and it has a pinhole in it, it's a cable select. There should be a jumper setting for that on the drive.

I don't think you get USB in Win98 unless specific drivers are loaded while Windows loads, which you aren't getting in safe mode.
Member with 38 posts.

04-Nov-2008, 01:41 PM #10
I'll try cable select although the new PC isn't actually designed to accomodate two drives inside so I have to leave the case open when I do that.

I also thought of another idea which I will post in a separate thread - using a USB to IDE converter cable....
Computer Specs
Member with 2,713 posts.

Experience: continuing to learn.
05-Nov-2008, 08:03 PM #11
hello. No response, just a question. Was Win98 FAT32 or NTFS?
Member with 38 posts.

05-Nov-2008, 08:48 PM #12
It's NTFS by default but there is an option to convert it to FAT32. This disk is still in NTFS.
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

05-Nov-2008, 10:18 PM #13
Windows 98 doesn't run on an NTFS drive.
Member with 38 posts.

05-Nov-2008, 11:39 PM #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleHelix View Post
Windows 98 doesn't run on an NTFS drive.
Well, Windows 98 boots off of this hard disk so I guess it must not be NTFS then. Does the drive format really matter when trying to mount a drive on a Windows XP machine?

If it does, what format should it be in?

Oh, I tried mounting this drive under XP with cable select jumper - still won't recognize drive. Since my Win 98 machine is reading it I may just have to buy another copy of Win 98 (my installation CD is corrupted), install the full version of Win 98 and then copy the contents onto a external USB hard disk which should re readable by any machine...

Since I have a Win 98 license already, can I download a free copy somewhere online??

What a pain in the butt...
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

06-Nov-2008, 07:20 AM #15
Is this an IDE drive?
Which IDE controller are you connecting it to on the motherboard?
Did you try a different cable?
Is the power connection?
What jumper settings have you tried with which cable / IDE controller connections?
Is the IDE controller enabled in the BIOS?
Is the drive not recognized after Windows XP boots? Or does the Windows XP system not boot when the Windows 98 drive is connected?

There's no reason you shouldn't be able to connect the drive. The fact that it's not working means something has been overlooked in the connection process.

I don't get what reinstalling Windows 98 gives you. I thought the purpose here was to grab data or files. The Windows XP system you're connecting this drive to doesn't care what operating system is installed on that drive. It's not seen as a system drive. It's just data: a collection of folders and files.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
hard drive cannot install, windows 98, windows xp

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!