Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Computer will not boot advice needed

(!)

Computer Specs
Gone but never forgotten with 9,807 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
30-Oct-2008, 11:48 PM #46
Thanks for the reassuring words,Im definitely going to see it through,have no choice really,its a good computer and I want it back up and working ...The Bull Terrier bit made me smile Ive got one here, sleeping away peacefully it seems,but can see one of his eyes keeps opening and looking at me anyway,have to say that UAC is already turned off,I find it annoying, will get on with downloading the slip streamer and see how I do with that (praying and hoping ) something has to go right eventually ...

Last edited by telecom69; 31-Oct-2008 at 12:08 AM..
Registered User with 220 posts.

31-Oct-2008, 12:06 AM #47
OK good!

But when this ordeal is over get the TweakUAC and set it to Quite mode.

The UAC protection is a good thing!

TweakUAC gives full UAC but shuts its little mouth!

Mike
Computer Specs

31-Oct-2008, 12:19 AM #48
Just one more question before you go,this will fit onto a cd will it not?or do I need a dvd ? asking that because my recovery disk is on a dvd and slipstreaming more might,might need a dvd also .....
Computer Specs

31-Oct-2008, 12:31 AM #49
OK Mike,I will let you go now for the night,really appreciate you giving me so much of your time I have now got SP3 and Slipstreamer downloaded , but very soon now I have a period of about 5 hours away from the computer, before I get started again, and so I wish you a very Goodnight and sleep well

31-Oct-2008, 12:37 AM #50
Uh Oh!

The normal Windows XP CD is not on a DVD you do have some kind of recovery disk and the Windows XP files may have been tinkered with in an attempt to customize for a computer brand.

The somewhat good news is that slipstreaming SP3 to it may just overwrite and correct the customized files.

You should not need a dvd for this, and we do not even need to burn the slipstream to disc yet to use it as a source to build the UBCD4Win. After slipstream we will use the AutoStreamer created folder as the source for UBCD right from the HD.

If it fails after this you may need to borrow a regular Microsoft Laser etched XP CD.

Mike

31-Oct-2008, 02:02 AM #51
I sent you a PM!

Have a Goodnight.

Mike
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
31-Oct-2008, 03:02 AM #52
Quote:
Originally Posted by telecom69 View Post
OK Mike,I will let you go now for the night,really appreciate you giving me so much of your time I have now got SP3 and Slipstreamer downloaded , but very soon now I have a period of about 5 hours away from the computer, before I get started again, and so I wish you a very Goodnight and sleep well
You will find the CD very useful for a lot of things, so you will be glad to have made it, eventually.

But I still think you are heading in the wrong direction here. Even if, and that's a big "if", you manage to run System Restore, SR does not affect the boot process. So you will be in the same boat with an earlier configuration.

But I wish you luck, and once you get up and running (or if you need and get a new memory stick), you will at least come out of this more knowledgeable.

See you later.

31-Oct-2008, 07:52 AM #53
Hi Guys

Telcom I missed your post last night we i singed off, the one quoted by Elvandil! Great!

If you have the right CD/DVD writing capabilities then you should have the CD already burned. But if you ended up with just an ISO then that is a job for ImgBurn.

If you have the CD and can boot it up OK then to separate all this I will post directions in my next post devoted to running UBCD4Win and fixing the specific problem.

Elvandil is correct that SR has nothing to do with the actual boot loader etc. But I believe that is going thu the bootload, it is in the very early stages of loading windows when it hits this corrupted CLDR.

You may not even have Restore Points nor had any all a along, the WWW is full of reports of no SR when needed.

But we now have the tools have to do it.

Mike

31-Oct-2008, 09:22 AM #54
Morning Sleepyhead

Ok here we go.

Boot from CD.

Chose Boot UBCD4Win

You will see a Starting Shell leave it and it will continue or you can click OK

Next you will see a box asking to start network Support skip it we don't need that at this time.

Finally you will be at the Desktop!

For the System Restore.

Click Start-Programs-Registry tools-Registry Restore Wizard

It will ask you to Specify your Windows, it may have it already defaulted to C:\Windows
NOTE:it needs this to load the registry for that installation (Technically refered to as the remote registry) and not use the UBCD4Win registry for this process.

When the correct Windows installation is selected click next

Then click next to Select "Fix the system registry to that of a previous state"!

From there it will show you the normal SR Calendar with Highlighted dates available to restore.

Chose one not to far back but for sure before this issue.

When it says finished close out and reboot, when your XP boots watch for Restore successful. That is another thing that can happen with SR it may be there and attemps to restore but can not. Fingers crossed knock on wood!

Your ball!

I have some errands and may be away for an hour or so.

Mike

31-Oct-2008, 10:25 PM #55
Hi Telcom

If you can boot the UBCD4Win and can not find Restore points or found restore points that will not restore then get back with me, as with the UBCD4Win we have many other ways to fix this.

Mike
Computer Specs

31-Oct-2008, 10:34 PM #56
Hiya Mike,here's whats happened since yesterday, finally I got it done ok I think and burned to a disk,it needed a dvd though,as I used Roxio which is what Im used to ...carefully followed all your instructions to the letter,and was elated to see things happening,all went well till I got to the restore bit, it said "This is not a valid registry,continue anyway" I clicked yes thinking this is the thing to do ....the Reg restore wizard then came up and asked "To what state do you want to restore ?" there was a blank box at the top,but I couldnt go any further,no normal restore calendar appeared ....a bit of a disapointment that,but at least somethings happening ....over to you for any comments .....

31-Oct-2008, 11:05 PM #57
Ok so it booted up to the UBCD Desktop?

I hope you aborted and did not save anything!

This is very important

You went here

Click Start-Programs-Registry tools-Registry Restore Wizard

then

In a box it asked you to Specify "your" Windows, it may have it already defaulted to C:\Windows

NOTE:it needs this to load the registry for that installation (Technically refered to as the remote registry) and not use the UBCD4Win registry for this process.

You MUST assure the box says c:\Windows if not you must browse to C: then Hilight the Windows or Winnt folder if you do not have a Windows folder and you must accept the Box.

If you did not do this the it can not find the registry on the C: Drive and would give similar results as you say.

Confirm you did exactly this.

Mike
Computer Specs

31-Oct-2008, 11:17 PM #58
No I didnt save anything because I did nothing, I just shut down the computer ....and yes it did default to C:\Windows ....

31-Oct-2008, 11:21 PM #59
OK from memory I was wrong

In the Specify your windows box it should say

C:\Windows
Custom...

If the C:\Windows is not there Select Custom

then type

C:\Windows
in the space at the bottom of box right above the Back Next etc

then click next.

Mike
Computer Specs

31-Oct-2008, 11:26 PM #60
OK I will check on that now just to be sure,Im printing out everything you post so that I can refer to it later if needs be ...
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!