Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Missing scanreg.exe for Windows XP

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
02-Nov-2008, 11:15 PM #1
Missing scanreg.exe for Windows XP
As prompted by my HP laptop, I ran HP's online System Check. One of the results said "Deterministic Networks WAN Virtual miniport: Device has a problem" and told me to run scanreg. It is nowhere on my C: drive (I did a full search.). Can I download the correct version I would need for Windows XP from somewhere online that is safe?
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

02-Nov-2008, 11:22 PM #2
EDIT: scanreg is a Windows 98/ME command. It's not something you can run under Windows XP.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
03-Nov-2008, 12:40 AM #3
I searched the C: drive, including hidden files and folders. No such file as "scanreg.exe" was found.
If its not something I can run under Windows XP anyway, then should I just ignore the HP online instructions "The windows registry may be bad. Run scanreg utility. To run scanreg, goto Start->Run and type scanreg.exe."?
The next thing HP suggests is "If this does not fix your problem, remove the device from the Device Manager and redetect it using the Add New Hardware tool in the Control Panel." Should I do this?
Based on the info from my Device Manager, the problem is with a network adapter (Deterministic Networks WAN Virtua miniport). I tried the "Troubleshoot" button under its properties. Frankly, I don't even know what this adapter is!!
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

03-Nov-2008, 12:49 AM #4
Before following troubleshooting instructions on the Internet, make sure they're for the operating system you're running. Since they were obviously written for Windows 98/ME systems, you shouldn't follow them.

The device listed is some type of virtual network adapter.
Do you use a VPN connection?
Do you have any virtualization software installed?
What prompted you to look at this as the source of the problem?
Is this your personal computer, or does it belong to your employer?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!