Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Purple Text on Boot Screen & Shut Down Error

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 39 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
07-Dec-2008, 05:55 PM #1
Solved: Purple Text on Boot Screen & Shut Down Error
Not sure if this is really an OS issue or my video card or what. In the middle of playing WOW a few days ago, my husband's monitor went haywire with odd shapes and then displayed a message about nv4_disp caused an error and then it shut down. We then tried rebooting and it only got to the welcome blue screen and froze there with the username and password box distorted. It also displays all of the boot-up screen text in purple which is weird - normally white.

It boots up in safe mode, so I booted up and rolled back to the last restore point, rebooted in normal mode and then updated the video card driver. It worked fine for me while I watched a movie clip and some other things, then my husband booted up the next day and as soon as he got in to WOW it crashed again with the same error.

I decided since it had been a while, and we have a newer HD now, I removed the IDE drive that windows was on, and installed it on one of the newer SATA drives which is much bigger. I am still in the process of reinstalling windows but right off the bat we still have the purple text so I know the problem is not resolved. Ay suggestions?

Win XP
160GB SATA HD (x2)
GeForce 8500 GT Video Card (installed 12/2007 along with new memory)
Computer Specs
Member with 39 posts.

07-Dec-2008, 06:53 PM #2
UPDATE: So everything was going along just hunky dory until I reinstalled the newest video driver - and crashed. Only boots in safe mode now.

I guess the problem is my video card?

Update again: I just disabled the VC and still crashed after a few minutes, just froze. Maybe a memory issue?

Last edited by asea; 07-Dec-2008 at 07:01 PM..
Computer Specs
Member with 687 posts.

08-Dec-2008, 05:02 AM #3
Could be the RAM. Reseat your RAMs again, cleaning the dust. Also test the RAM with memtest.
Computer Specs
Member with 39 posts.

09-Dec-2008, 10:41 AM #4
Thanks for the suggestion. I ram Memtest and got an error on pair 34794879 after it had run about 4000%

Problem is, I have 2 sticks of Ram in there and reading the FAQ's it says there is really no way to determine which one it is ... any ideas? It took me nearly 20 hours to get to the first error, I hate to re-run it on each Ram separatly if I can get away with not doing that.

One thing to note, it asked me to run 2 sessions of Memtest at 925 each at the same time in order to read all of my Ram, it was the second one that found the error.
Computer Specs
Member with 687 posts.

09-Dec-2008, 10:55 AM #5
You should have done it one stick at a time.. That will help u locate the faulty RAM. And i think it took long coz one of the RAM is faulty.. otherwise it takes only 10 minutes.
So do it one stick at a time, will help u locate the faulty one.
Computer Specs
Member with 39 posts.

09-Dec-2008, 10:59 AM #6
Thanks for the reply. So in order to test one at a time do I need to remove one from the motherboard, test the remaining one and then switch them?
Computer Specs
Member with 687 posts.

09-Dec-2008, 11:20 AM #7
Yes...
Computer Specs
Member with 39 posts.

09-Dec-2008, 05:01 PM #8
So I tried putting in only one stick of RAM at a time and still get the purple text on boot up and still crashing a few minutes after bringing up windows.

Could this be a motherboard issue? What is your next suggestion?
Computer Specs
Member with 39 posts.

09-Dec-2008, 06:12 PM #9
Thanks for all the help. I talked to EVGA support and they said it is bad memory on the video card. I am now fighting with them to get an RMA because I am 2 weeks outside of the one year warantee and they won't give me the lifetime warantee because my genious husband never registered the item.
Computer Specs
Member with 687 posts.

10-Dec-2008, 02:42 AM #10
I hope you get the matter solved soon. Best of luck.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!