Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Corrupted files and problems with ChkDsk in XP

(!)

Junior Member with 18 posts.

17-Dec-2008, 04:02 AM #1
Corrupted files and problems with ChkDsk in XP
Last week I got two notices from my application bar, to the lower right corner of the screen. They read:

"The file or directory C:\System Volume Information\EfaData\SYMEFA.DB-journal is corrupt and unreadable. Please use ChkDisk utility to resolve."

and. . .

"Exception Processing Message c0000102 Parameters 75b6bf9c 75b6bf9c 75b6bf9cf 75b6bf9c are corrupt., Please use ChkDisk utility to resolve."

When I did go to Check Disk, and restarted the system, a blue-colored screen (not the Blue Screen of Death) comes up and says:

"The type of file system on this disk is NTFS. Cannot open this volume for direct access." This message is now coming up every time I start up the computer.

I have tried going into System Volume Information to check out these corrupt files, but everytime I try to open up this folder, a dialouge box comes up that says Access is Denied (is this normal?).

Is there any insight out there as to what these corrupt files generally do, and therefore what their corruption might mean to my system? Any insights as to how to correct my issues? Any insight into how to get Check Disk to work properly?

XP Home Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 3
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor - Gone but never forgotten with 8,684 posts.

17-Dec-2008, 10:29 AM #2
System Volume Information is "System Restore".

Disable it. Reboot and renable and that should flush all corrupted files.

Then, run a full Chkdsk.

07-Jan-2009, 03:49 AM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitPhil View Post
System Volume Information is "System Restore".

Disable it. Reboot and renable and that should flush all corrupted files.

Then, run a full Chkdsk.
Wow-I just saw your post! Thanks for the reply. Quick questio: How do I "disable" it? And, by "it" you're talking about what?

Posted via Mobile Device

07-Jan-2009, 04:30 AM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepmojoman View Post
Wow-I just saw your post! Thanks for the reply. Quick questio: How do I "disable" it? And, by "it" you're talking about what?

Posted via Mobile Device
OK-so I figured out that you meant disable System Restore, which I did and then rebooted. But Chkdsk still won't work. If I ask it to do a repair is necessary it asks me to restart, saying that Checj Disk will be scheduled to start at that time , and then nothing. If I just try to do a vanilla Chkdsk, then it'll go all the way through Phase 2 and then a dialoge box comes up saying Check Disk cannot be completled on this disk. Any clues?

Posted via Mobile Device
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!