Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

how do i access password protected files from a slave drive?

(!)

Junior Member with 13 posts.

Experience: Advanced
30-Dec-2008, 11:53 AM #1
how do i access password protected files from a slave drive?
I have a problem. I cannot boot to my hard drive but I can get the hard drive to run as a slave drive in another computer. Due to my files being password protected and due to not being able to access my files, how can I access my slave drive to access those files I password protected? When I attempt to view the contents of my slave drive's documents, the folder shows it is empty yet I know for fact that I have documents stored there and I need to access them. Now remember, this slave drive came out of my other computer and was the main drive for it. If I could get it to boot then I'd have access to these files by being able to log-in to my account.

FYI, I've attempted recovery console and also attempted windows repair on my main drive in hopes of getting it to boot again but no such luck. So, I am forced to use this main drive as a slave drive in hopes of being able to figure out a way to access my files since I cannot log-in to this slave drive to access my password protected files. I think I am screwed and have lost these files forever.

I cannot inherit these files since I cannot access them. I am using Windows XP Pro SP3 on both systems.

The slave drive is or rather was the master drive on a different computer.

Last edited by rickk1; 30-Dec-2008 at 01:09 PM..
cwwozniak   (Chuck) cwwozniak is offline cwwozniak is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. cwwozniak has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 45,334 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
30-Dec-2008, 12:46 PM #2
I had a similar problem with XP Home.

See if this MS article helps any ...

How to take ownership of a file or a folder in Windows XP

30-Dec-2008, 01:03 PM #3
Your suggestion would work...IF...I could inherit the files/folders. Already mentioned that I tried that too...inherit.
Trusted Advisor with 19,633 posts.

30-Dec-2008, 01:34 PM #4
That is how you do it. Period. If you are the administrator on a computer and you slave any other hard drive with an NT based file system you have to take Ownership of the files. The link above is how you do it.

Your only other option would be to mount the drive on a linux system and copy them from there.

30-Dec-2008, 02:20 PM #5
For the last time, I cannot take ownership of the files/folders on this hard drive since it says access denied and it is due to the fact that this hard drive is the main drive on a different computer that is password protected. To go a step further, there is no security tab offered when trying to access this drive and since there is no security tab offered, any access to those files/folders are not transferrable in the manner you're suggesting.

This is not the first time this has happened and most certainly not the first time that I continually get the same reply that you've offered. Your way does not work...PERIOD!!!

I've tred it toooooooo many times and have taken the hard drive to other techs to see if they could access it as well and they were not able to and they too tried what you said. I knew this was going to happen...it happens everytime I try to get the point across about this problem. This hard drive's documents cannot be accessed.

FYI, I can access other files...other folders BUT the folders/files that I want to access are listed...are you listening...they are listed under my other log-in name that is password protected and there is no way to log-in to gain access to any of those documents since there is no security feature available. Any attempts to open the folder shows the message that access is not available. If you right click on the folder and click properties, there is no security tab. If you attempt to drag the folder to a shared folder on its hard drive or to the other hard drive, you will receive the same message...access is denied. How hard is this to understand?

How is it possible to make any changes when access is continually denied and when there is no security tab to make the necessary changes?
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 10,617 posts.

Experience: Beginner
30-Dec-2008, 02:24 PM #6
Sounds like you need to STOP passwording your drives once you get this one fixed.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 5 posts.

30-Dec-2008, 02:46 PM #7
Had this problem with my son's NB HD w/ XP Home. Found the solution on this site. Connected hd to usb external connector on another NB also running XP Home.

Once you get into the Properties box, there is a Tab that says OWNER. It was reset to my User Name. Had to do this with many folders.

Once done, I copied files to internal HD on ND.

Rebooted system w/o external USB drive. I then burned the files onto a dvd and they are fine.

Hope this helps.

If with XP PRO, the steps are different but it "should" work, per all Iread here and other sites.

31-Dec-2008, 09:59 AM #8
Doesn't anyone read or rather comprehend what they're reading? For the last time, when I try to access the properties of this folder, there is no security button for me to click on which would allow me to change/inherit ownership. There is also no tab that says owner listed under the properties. None of those files were ever encrypted too which would have caused a pot full of other problems unlike this one. I've already discussed this with Microsoft and they were not able to help me. So now you're asking me...why ask us if Microsoft didn't figure it out? Very simply put, Microsoft does not know it all. I found that out years ago when trying to restore win98se. Microsoft said there was not a restore for win98se. I proved them wrong.

And the reason I am asking this difficult question about access is that there might be someone that is reading that fully understands my problem(s) and has figured out the solution without replying the same thing that everyone else has already stated. Sometimes, it can be done via dos and other times thru other avenues. So, c'mon all you old timers and help me out. I want to hear from someone that was around back in 1983 when we first began working on the old packard bells. Surely there is some old timer that has fixed this problem the old way....using dos.
Trusted Advisor with 19,633 posts.

31-Dec-2008, 10:38 AM #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickk1 View Post
For the last time, I cannot take ownership of the files/folders on this hard drive since it says access denied and it is due to the fact that this hard drive is the main drive on a different computer that is password protected. To go a step further, there is no security tab offered when trying to access this drive and since there is no security tab offered, any access to those files/folders are not transferrable in the manner you're suggesting.

How is it possible to make any changes when access is continually denied and when there is no security tab to make the necessary changes?
I am pretty positive you didn't bother to read the link above.
Quote:
Start Windows XP Home Edition in safe mode
If you are running Windows XP Home Edition, you must start the computer in safe mode, and then log on with an account that has administrative rights in order to access the Security tab. Access to the Security tab is required in order to change security permission. If you are running Windows XP Professional, you do not have to start the computer in safe mode.
SUEOHIO   (SUE) SUEOHIO is offline SUEOHIO has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 3,665 posts.

31-Dec-2008, 10:44 AM #10
we might just ask u the same thing. these people are trying to help u the best way they can.u have had input from 3 people that are distinguished members.apparently this problem cant be resolved. if it could be im sure u would have the been given the correct answer by now.if u seem to think that dos is the answer maybe u have answered your own question.and im sure if im wrong someone will correct me but i dont think we are even supposed to be giving u help on anything thats password protected as we dont know the intentions involved.

31-Dec-2008, 11:10 AM #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squashman View Post
I am pretty positive you didn't bother to read the link above.
Again, doesn't anyone read or comprehend what they're reading? I say again....

YOUR SOLUTION DOES NOT WORK!!!!!!!!

JUST HOW CLEAR CAN I SAY THIS???????????????????????? AND HOW MANY TIMES MUST I TELL YOU THAT IT DOES NOT WORK???????????????????

31-Dec-2008, 11:12 AM #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by pishbloom2 View Post
but i dont think we are even supposed to be giving u help on anything thats password protected as we dont know the intentions involved.
Another person that cannot comprehend. I stated in my original question that I own the files and folders of this other hard drive. Based on this, I would expect you of all people to understand that it is my intention to recover my "OWN" files. DUHHHHHHHHHHHH

31-Dec-2008, 11:19 AM #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squashman View Post
I am pretty positive you didn't bother to read the link above.Quote:
Start Windows XP Home Edition in safe mode
If you are running Windows XP Home Edition, you must start the computer in safe mode, and then log on with an account that has administrative rights in order to access the Security tab. Access to the Security tab is required in order to change security permission. If you are running Windows XP Professional, you do not have to start the computer in safe mode.

FYI, My original...my 1st initial statement about my problem says I have XP-PRO on both systems. And according to your findings, since I am running xp-pro then I do not have to start the computer in safe mode. I'll go a step further and tell you that although it says I do not have to start in safe mode...I did start in safe mode due to these systems sometimes not always responding in the way they were supposed to respond and that did not work too.
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

31-Dec-2008, 11:24 AM #14
What program did you use to apply the password protection? Did you encrypt the files?

31-Dec-2008, 11:27 AM #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleHelix View Post
What program did you use to apply the password protection? Did you encrypt the files?
I used xp-pro to apply the password to my user account on this particular hard drive. I already said I did not encrypt these files/folders.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!