Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

My IBM laptop screen won't turn on???

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
02-Jan-2009, 06:12 PM #1
Question My IBM laptop screen won't turn on???
I have a older Imb laptop modle T23 computer and when I shut it down rather then using standby it takes several times trying to get it to come back on. I press the little round on/off button and the (z) button lights up and I hear the fan turn on and all of a sudden a series of beeps, and the screen won't turn on. The beeping is like 8 beeps, then stops but still nothing come up on the screen. Completely black! So i turn off the computer again, and turn on same thing. I continue doing this like 30+ times sometimes more sometimes less, then finally the beeps dont start and the screen is working. So needless to say its still working in the mean time, but its just such a pain if I shut it down. Does anyone know what may be causeing this and how I may be able to fix this problem. For now I am just going to continue using standby but when I have updates sometimes i need to shut down...Well hope you can help me! Thanks in advance! ~Nicole
cwwozniak   (Chuck) cwwozniak is online now cwwozniak is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. cwwozniak has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 45,197 posts.

02-Jan-2009, 06:26 PM #2
Hi Nicole, and welcome to TSG.

Does the beeping pattern match any of the patterns described here:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...id=MIGR-4K7KB7
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

02-Jan-2009, 06:38 PM #3
Thanks for the qucik response!!
I am pretty certain this sounds like it: One short beep, pause, three short beeps, pause, three more short beeps, and one short beep. In which it states on that website its,
  1. DIMM.
  2. System board
I am not sure what that means though? Do you have any suggestions for me? Thanks for all your help!
cwwozniak   (Chuck) cwwozniak is online now cwwozniak is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. cwwozniak has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 45,197 posts.

02-Jan-2009, 07:08 PM #4
According to the IBM site, the most likely problem is a failure of a Memory Module (DIMM) and the other less likely cause is a failure of the system board, which I would guess to mean the motherboard. In the first case replacing the plug-in memory expansion module might cure the problem. In the second case it may not be economical to repair or replace the motherboard.

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
boot, ibm, laptop, screen malfunction, start up

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!